(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue I or II? (Total votes: 32)

Shenmue I
44%
Shenmue II
56%

Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 pm

So have any of your opinions changed over which one you like better the past couple of years? Click your fave and give your reasons why. For myself, I picked the first one, primarily because of the nostalgia factor. It's the game that blew me away, and I just like the overall environment of the game compared to the huge hustling and bustling cities in China. Shenmue II was a great game, but I prefer the first.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Re: Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Postby Mitsuzuki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 am

I'm going to go with S1 for a similar reason. When it comes to great movie or game series, the first is usually my favourite because you're meeting the cast of characters for the very first time. You feel like you're about to join them on the start of a grand journey.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 am

The first one all the way. I suppose the preference comes down to whether a person prefers their local area or travelling, coz that's essentially the 'feel' that each game gives, in respective order.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yama » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 am

Shenmue II is much more grand and develops far more as far as the plot is concerned, though Shenmue's atmosphere is still untouched in ways. Dare I say it all felt so... cozy?

Yama has received a thanks from: KiBa
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:29 am

That's what I though. I dunno if it's the graphic style or what, but I don't know if it would have the same feel if it got an entire facelift.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:36 am

I love them both but I'm going to have to say Shenmue 2. I loved exploring Hong Kong, Kowloon, and (while some may disagree) the Guilin section was great. I also prefer the cast of the second game, with Xiuying being my favorite character of the series. Plus airing out books, catching leaves, the four wude... ahh I just love the second game. First is amazing but the second -- somehow -- managed to be even better. However, I've only played through the games one time. I don't have the benefit of repeated playthroughs so maybe I can't judge as fairly as I'd like to.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 am

Never mind anyone disagreeing, Guilin is still my favorite part of the series. It was beautiful, grand, formally introduced my favorite character Shenhua, developed the story and represents the series moving forward. And come on, who didn't love those QTE sounds? :)

Yama has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Lan Di-sama
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 am

I did enjoy Guilin. Best part was Ryo and his tai chi on top of the cliff
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 am

Im also more infatuated with Shenmue 2 then 1.
2 Just had so much more content, characters, plot, fighting. I mean honestly everything was done to the 2nd power with S2.
The only gripe I have with it is that it didnt have the level of minute detail found in S1. Also it felt more rushed to push you along in the main story rather than side storys and learning about the towns people.
Each game has their own strengths and weaknesses but to me Shenmue 2 really went over the top and theirs just no better feeling then getting the top of the Yellow Head and seeing Lan Di with his crazy evil stare. Gets me crazy hyped everytime.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 am

I preferred staring at Dou Niu's bald head. gives me goosebumps.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:36 am

I still ask myself this question to this day and I still can't come up with a devout answer. To me, it's a tie. However, if you were to put a gun up to my head I'd probably take Shenmue II. It's just so epic in scale, and it is where the story really takes off. Shenmue I kind of laid down the basics story wise, like any good introduction is supposed to do. Shenmue II let you know that you're experiencing some kind of epic saga, and wrapped you up so much in the characters and Ryo's struggle that you cared for each of them like they were your own best friends.

The cool thing about Shenmue I though was that while it made you fell as if you were in a familiar area, there were things that weren't so familiar about it. Things that you were experiencing for the first time. Like your neighborhood had an entirely different character than you originally knew. Like going out at night to the red light district and into shady alleys. Then going to the harbor. And of course finding the hidden cellar in your own damn house. Everything was like home except with a sense of mystery to it. That is the great thing that Shenmue's atmosphere captures.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am

Shenmue 2 was the much better game. Since I started with this game, a bit of me was disappointed when I played the first.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 am

I'm probably going to be lynched for this but shenmue 2X, the blur reminded me of old kung fu flicks that I love and well that was the first one I owned so I guess I'm bound to be bias about it, also being a fan of dense urban cities and travelling to foreign countries that really was a great plus for me, in fact the whole game reminded me of an epic martial arts movie from the golden years of hong kong cinema, the bad dub included

south carmain has received a thanks from: Spokane
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 am

I would have to go with Shenmue 1. It feels like home and I love all of the developing characters and how they all know Ryo. It just feels nice to be greeted by people. It also sets the stage for the game.
Dont get me wrong, I love S2 as much as anyone else here but the first game feels more surreal when you play it.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Yama » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 am

south carmain wrote:shenmue 2X, the blur

Why did you do it? [-(
Yama