Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona Series

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:48 am

More of a SMT fan myself. Hope P2: Eternal Punishment comes out in the States, at least then I can import it for my PSP.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Yama
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:52 am

currently playing persona 3, I got pretty far in it before but gave back the ps2 to my friend so I'm currently playing the psn version, I also played through persona 2: tsuni a few years ago, I wish persona 3 was structured more like it because as mue said the 1 dungeon that the only real change in throughout the game is colour can be really tedious at times, going to try the smt: digital devil saga when I can after OL recommended it
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:28 pm

I was about 75 hours into Persona 3, and about half way through the game when I stopped playing it. tried to pick it back up a year or 2 later and I couldnt remember everything I was trying to do, so I just stopped playing it. Once I get a Vita, im sure P4 will be one of my first purchases though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Besides, there are other SMT games that fulfill that need for older characters.

Well there are a couple I guess. But mainly, I just think having an older cast would put an interesting spin on the "social" aspect of the game. The high school setting is OK, but it might start to get a bit samey after so many games now. And Catherine was basically a tease as to what a persona game with more mature characters could be like. It would have the potential to offer so much more interesting scenarios and relationship's.

Also, during P4 at one point I got really into trying to play the field with every female character possible. But then it dawned on me that these are meant to be 14 year old girls......and I felt a bit shameful.

Anyway, I'm just pipe dreaming of course.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 am

^Persona 2: Eternal Punishment features an all adult cast and is the only game in the Persona series to do so. The Devil Summoner series features no schools and mostly adult cast of characters, like private detectives and the army. Shin Megami Tensei 2 and Maken X also feature mostly an adult cast.

Other series that are like Persona, like Devil Survivor (SRPG), features a college age cast, rather than the high school cast of Persona.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Merged together the Persona threads. This series definitely deserves a huge and lasting thread.

Little story time on my time with the series. It's pretty obvious to those who know me, but maybe not so much around here. I'm a huge Persona fan since literal day one, one of my top three series. I started following the series when Revelations Persona was first shown in GAMEFAN. It looked unique, enough that I went on a whim and decided to keep tabs on it and eventually picked it up day one at my local shop.

Then came Persona 2: Tsumi, my favorite title in the series along with it's counterpart Batsu. Before the series was widely known, a lot of people around me just knew it for that random game I played with the crazy art style. Truer words couldn't have been spoken though, the games music and art style are still unrivaled imho. So stylish. I played through the Japanese original before the Guido patch and before the official translation. I printed out a huge translation called the Oracle of Maya, pretty much wasted an entire day at my aunts law firm one summer printing it out. Hilariously good times, but pure dedication. The series also got me into Soul Hackers, which I put only behind Tsumi in terms of quality.

After Tsumi and Batsu I faithfully played the series over and over, but knew a true sequel would never happen. To me, my 'Persona 3' was SMT Nocturne. Loved Nocturne so much, still do. But then the unthinkable happened, Persona 3! A lot of people thought the premise looked interesting, yet I was already in ecstasy. Where as Shenmue III is my gaming nightmare, this is my gaming feel good story. Many newcomers enjoy the games dungeon layout, though while I do think it's adequate, I don't think it keeps up in terms of keeping things fresh like Persona 2. You never quite knew what was going to happen next in that game. Nevertheless, the game was still amazing and quite possibly one of my favorite that generation, it actually lived up to my expectations all of those long years later. The rest is history as the series has since achieved decent popularity (without selling out) and I couldn't be happier. Feels good being there since day one. Really looking forward to Golden and the eventual fifth installment, that will be a slice of heaven if it's presented anything like Catherine is.

If you started with P3 or P4, put down the evoker and go play the best game in the series. P2. Fact.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: mue 26, OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Re: Persona

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Interesting. So, in your opinion does the Persona 2 game that was recently ported to the PSP live up to it's original incarnation, or have they slightly butchered it as some of these older re-releases tend to be? I'm actually more interested in P2 than going back and playing more of P3 (I didn't play very much of it). The premise of it sounds a bit more interesting.

But yeah Catherine was one stylish game, so I imagine P5 will be even better in that regard. I just hope they tone down the gridage a little bit, so I don't have to listen to this every time before I play the game:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6SYuEWOTs[/youtube]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Haha, good stuff.

And yeah Mue, I feel it lives up to the original. Outside of a few senseless edits (Hitler wearing sunglasses, lol), the game is more or less 1:1 as is the script. All musical content that was modified is still available, so there is just more to choose from this time around. The menus have been updated to look more in line with current generation Persona, which I admittedly love, though do miss the older layout time to time just based on principal. Some of the newer artwork is far less charming, though fitting nonetheless. The bulk of it however is still there. Solid port and necessary considering Tsumi never received official exposure outside of Asia.

Yama has received a thanks from: mue 26
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby mue 26 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Cheers. And now, in possibly the least surprising news update all month, P4A is delayed in Europe
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -in-europe

Well done Atlus for shafting us with your new anti-consumer policies, and well done Zen for being unable to release the game on time.

As a competitive fighting game this is now dead on arrival in UK/ Europe. Due to fact that all the US/ Jap player will utterly cream any poor Europeans by the time they get it, and the release of a new Tekken/ DOA will completely overshadow this. It's going to sell really poorly over here, which is probably as it should be as to not give Atlus the idea that region locking is acceptable, however, poor sales will also only help to convince Atlus that EU really isn't worth the effort :(

Well I'm not touching it.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:12 pm

To be fair, Japan was months ahead of the USA too. But I feel your pain, reminds me of the OG P3 delays... over the binding in a mini art book. ](*,)

Yama has received a thanks from: mue 26
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Tuffty » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:28 am

Trailer for SMTIV

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOncrsfuj-E[/youtube]

Tuffty has received a thanks from: OL
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

Postby OL » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:07 am

^^Not actually Persona, but a quick topic title change should handle that.

After actually seeing that, I think it has me more intrigued, rather than excited now.
Is it just me, or does the art style not look like it's done by Kazuma Kaneko this time? I'm kind of disappointed by that...
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 am

http://megaten4.jp/

O_O

The music!

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Yama
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:16 pm

That is some damn fine music. That's actually hyped me up a bit more again. Really can't wait to see some actual gameplay though.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 am

Damn. This thread is still alive.

Excited for SMT4. :)

Himuro has received a thanks from: OL
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext