Does Yu Have The Eye Of The Tiger?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Does Yu Have The Eye Of The Tiger?

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:57 pm

I was watching one of the finest films to ever be made the other day Rocky III. I couldn't help but be reminded of Yu's struggle in trying to make SIII. Both Rocky 1&2 are just like Shenmue 1&2.

Shenmue 1 came out and did pretty good but many felt it could do much better, many wanted to see much more of this gem just like Rocky Balboa in Rocky 1.

Shenmue 2 came out and smashed the record for most imported game taking the title just like Rocky does against Apollo Creed in Rocky 2.

Then Yu sold out and signed a deal with Microsoft and seemed to not be that bothered anymore. At the start of Rocky 3 we see Rocky selling out, advertising credit cards and cars loosing the passion he had for boxing. The port was poor and it seemed he lost his passion. This may have to do with the death of SEGA just like the death of Rocky's trainer Micky. Shenmue 2x came out and just like the first fight against Mr T it got knocked on it's arse.

Now we are in the present day and we need Yu to get back that passion for game making. Rocky had Apollo Creed to help him get out of his rut but who can help Yu?

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Martin, mue 26
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Does Yu Have The Eye Of The Tiger?

Postby south carmain » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:02 pm

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Well we're forgetting about Rocky IV and my favorite gem, Rocky V
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Axm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:45 pm

なにそれ。あなたはばかですか?しんじあれない
Great analogy. :razz:
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby redline » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 am

Riku Rose wrote:
Now we are in the present day and we need Yu to get back that passion for game making. Rocky had Apollo Creed to help him get out of his rut but who can help Yu?

we all know the inside joke about AM2 (the time YS got up & got to work) - i think hes just a bit lazy
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 am

Are you high, or just incredibly stupid?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm

This is SD post-Junk.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

This........... is what happens when deprived of Shenmue III for too long.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Brothaman, KiBa, nskachu
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm

haha, insane but brilliant thread. Personally I see Yu Suzuki's situation more similar to the plot of Rocky 6. He's in his 50's, his son (SEGA) blaims Rocky for his own personal problems (SEGA blame everything on Shenmue). Yu..I mean Rocky has a small business of his own, but feels the need to win back the world's respect and his own self respect. He get's back his boxing license (Shenmue license!), does what needs to be done and can finally leave the ring (the gaming industry) with no regrets.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE[/youtube]

We now need an image of Yu's face superimposed onto Rocky! That will pump us up!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:44 pm

^ Excellent comparison. :)

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Peter, Who Really Cares?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:56 pm

:lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Can't say I agree that Shenmue IIx sucked. Yeah, some textures were flipped, some stick-y out-y shop signs were missing, and in general some minor details were changed, as detailed in that incomplete comparison. To me me, most of those differences are just that - differences. Very minor and negligible one way or t'other. In all of those 'minor' cases, I find myself preferring neither. Honestly, I never even noticed any of them before seeing that comparison.

On the flip-side, the Xbox port runs smoothly, with no framerate issues to speak of. NPCs are not as aggressively faded in and out. I know some have issue with the bloom. I love it. I'm one of those who doesn't like how the fight scenes have some kind of blur implemented on Xbox, that's about it. It doesn't ruin anything for me, I just somewhat prefer the cleaner looking fights in the Dreamcast version.

The biggest downers for me on the Xbox version are the English voice track. Though I'll always love the cheesy English dub, to me the Japanese track features on the PAL Dreamcast SII was a real revelation. To me it sounded like quality voice work, and not cheesy. The second thing is the fact that I cannot play the first game on Xbox, and continue my save file. That one's a biggie. One of my favourite things about Shenmue is how it's a continuous experience. I didn't get that on the Xbox port.

That's about it. I prefer the Dreamcast version purely because it continues on from the first game with all my progress, and I also prefer the voicing. Whenever I start an SIIx game, the default inventory and stuff just doesn't seem 'right'. Other than that, Shenmue II on Xbox is a fucking quality game. Best game on the console.

+1 for Rocky, though. I love the Rocky saga. My favourite scene comes from the worst film - Rocky V.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmbfZT_mCSI[/youtube]

I love MIckey. This one always tears me up. I swear that scene is made for man-tears!
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 pm

Off topic, but was Burgess Meredith brought back to film those scenes brand new? Or were they unused footage? Oh and it is a fucking tearjerker like. That and when i watched Rocky Balboa for the first time and there were a few different scenes in that, that really welled me up, regarding Adrain, talking with his kid and when he gives that speech to the boxing comission after they reject his appeal. Fuck i have to watch the box set again! Awesome movies!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 pm

^He was brought back to film new scenes.

This topic needs to die so I can make a topic about if Yu is Tom Cruise and SEGA is Goose in Top Gun.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby nskachu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:09 pm

redline wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

we all know the inside joke about AM2 (the time YS got up & got to work) - i think hes just a bit lazy

I had to laugh about that loudly.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Return to Shenmue III