Deadly Premonition 2 teased

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Deadly Premonition 2 teased

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 am

Deadly Premonition designer SWERY has teased a sequel, and revealed his hope to release a Director's Cut of the first game this year.

Quirky open world horror game Deadly Premonition launched on Xbox 360 in 2010 and divided critics. Fans have hoped for a sequel ever since, but Hidetaka "SWERY" Suehiro has remained quiet - until now.

Last week Eurogamer caught up with the Japanese designer at Gamescom for an update. He confirmed that the original Deadly Premonition team is back together working on a new project to coincide with the 10th anniversary of developer Access Games.

"We're in talks with publishers at the moment, and we can't tell you about the platforms," he said. "But by next summer, I think everyone will have a good idea of what it's going to be.

"After Deadly Premonition everyone wanted to know when the next project was coming along. I told them it would be in 10 years' time. So I think they're still waiting!"

SWERY, who is searching for a publisher for the new project, stopped short of confirming the new game as Deadly Premonition 2. "Hmm, maybe!" was all he said.

But he did give us an idea of what he intends for the sequel, which he said he'd be honoured to make.

"In Deadly Premonition I really tried to focus on lifestyle and the relationships between the characters and experiencing those things in the game, and there just happened to be a murder mystery going on as well. But what I really wanted people to experience was those day to day things. In the new game that's going to be important as well. Plus some extra things I wasn't able to do before, and new original elements like the coffee fortune telling.

"I meet once a month with the producer of Deadly Premonition and we talk about various things. There are things I've come up with the producer has said no to. I suggested Deadly Premonition 2 should be as though Deadly Premonition 1 had never existed. I wanted to do everything from scratch, but the producer said I couldn't do that.

"So, for example, like with Spider-Man, you've got Spider-Man and the Amazing Spider-Man, so the same series but a different world. I wanted to do something like that but was told no. The producer said the fans love York, and so I have to carry on with him as the protagonist."

Meanwhile, SWERY confirmed his intention to release a Director's Cut of the first game during Access Games' 10th anniversary year - that is, at some point this year.

SWERY is after a publisher for this game, too, so was tight-lipped on details. "We are planning a Director's Cut of Deadly Premonition and there will be a proper announcement about that soon," he said. "I've been having a few meetings about that here as well.

"It's not finalised yet, but personally I'd like for us to be able to do it during this 10th anniversary year."

But, again, he did provide some details: "I'll be able to tell you more when the publisher has announced it formally. Just think about this as a rumour," he teased.

"We're working on the Director's Cut of Deadly Premonition, and I am writing some new script and scenarios. Whether those will be used or not, and how they'll be used, isn't decided yet.

"When Deadly Premonition went on sale, I got loads of feedback from the users, opinions, complaints. So I've got a list of about 200 things they want improved. I'm going through that list and choosing the things I think will be good to work on. I can't tell you in detail, but things like the controls and graphics."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... monition-2

Yes please.

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: Sailors?, Vyse Hazuky
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Deadly Premonition 2 teased

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks. I've been so disconnected I'd have missed that. Made my day :)
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am

Wonder why it was a no show at E3 if DP1: Director's Cut is out this year, then?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 am

Loved DP (hehe), so this is great news!
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 am

I wonder where they will take it. A prequel might be interesting and I really can't see them making it take place after the first game.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 am

I really want it to be set in a big city with loads of weird shit going on. If they can achieve the feel of the first game but in a larger environment then I'd probably love it.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Wonder why it was a no show at E3 if DP1: Director's Cut is out this year, then?

The article says they are still looking for a publisher.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 am

Still can't get hold of it at a price I'm willing to pay. When's the Director's Cut out?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm

You're not willing to pay 13 quid? Well worth it mate. http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/15 ... d:15825376
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

If a game isn't five-star or brand new, it's worth no more than a tenner to me.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Yeah but I know you'll love it so it is worth more than a tenner.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Anyone know why the first only got a ps3 release in Asia? I'm thinking of importing it as it has English dialogue but it's expensive as fuck
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Different publisher in Asia?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:58 pm

south carmain wrote:Anyone know why the first only got a ps3 release in Asia? I'm thinking of importing it as it has English dialogue but it's expensive as fuck

I can only think they thought sales would not be enough to make it worth while? Did read they made their budget back from US sales on the 360.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 pm

So glad he's going to keep York around. York is one of the greatest gaming protagonists to have ever existed. The world need more Deadly Premonition.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to General Gaming