Zhu Yuanda/ Yuanda Zhu

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Zhu Yuanda/ Yuanda Zhu

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:13 am

That's right, they both say their names with the family name first (Korea does it too, and maybe most of the countries in that area). The confusion when switching to English happens everywhere, even at the Olympics I couldn't tell if they had got their names the wrong way around for English speakers. Football too especially with the South Korean players making their names around the world.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 am

Reminds me of when, after calling our no. 17 right-back "Sun Jihai" for years, all of a sudden the media start calling him Jihai Sun. Personally, I reckon that you can say Far Eastern names either way around as you see fit due to cultural differences.

Btw, summat I've just remembered. If you listen to Ryo in the DC version (subtitled), he calls himself Hazuki Ryo, whilst the subtitles read Ryo Hazuki. However, I'm sure as fuck that he says Yuanda Zhu, and the subtitles also read Yuanda Zhu (although, I could be wrong)

Assuming I'm right, what the fish hook's gone on there?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Spokane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:34 pm

I noticed a similar a thing in Yakuza 3, you hear the Japanese way of saying it when they speak but on the subtitles it was switched around 95% of the time for some reason not every translation was flipped around, and I think I heard Kazuma say it the opposite way than usual once for some reason.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Is it 3 or 4 where the CIA get involved? That might have confused the translators, or it's purely a clear case of different people working on different parts of the script.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Personally, I reckon that you can say Far Eastern names either way around as you see fit due to cultural differences.

I'm on the side of a "who the target audience is" style of thinking. If it's for countries who use the First Name-Family Name convention, all names should follow it for ease of understanding. I know in Japan there are a whole set of conventions for non-Japanese words and by extension I assume names so the culture gap has been bridged with regards to which way the names go. I don't know if this same understanding is there in other far-Eastern countries.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Spokane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:22 am

Yeah it's Yakuza 3, I have not played the 4th yet.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:43 am

Spokane wrote:Its just the way they speak differently, Japanese people say the last name first and in China its reverse.

Family name comes first both in Japan and China. Apparently, they changed the order for the western gamers' sake, while the order stays the same in the Japanese version.

Kiyuu has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Previous

Return to Shenmue II