Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

Postby Cave Johnson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 pm

I like japanese games, especially these niche style ones. Has anyone played this game yet (yes I know it just got released). I bought Shinobido Revenge of Zen on the Vita and I was kind of dissapointed with that game (lost interest), and this looks like it was made by the same team Acquire. If it has the same feel as Shinobido as far as controls and graphics I might pass.

For those who have this game please share with the rest of us what you like about the game and hate about the game.

Thanks
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Re: Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am

$40 is far too high. XSEED need a slap for charging that much for a digital only release. So glad we're getting it released physically (UK).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 am

Henry Spencer wrote:$40 is far too high. XSEED need a slap for charging that much for a digital only release. So glad we're getting it released physically (UK).

That's cheap. Releases yesterday were as high as $60.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Cave Johnson wrote:I like japanese games, especially these niche style ones. Has anyone played this game yet (yes I know it just got released). I bought Shinobido Revenge of Zen on the Vita and I was kind of dissapointed with that game (lost interest), and this looks like it was made by the same team Acquire. If it has the same feel as Shinobido as far as controls and graphics I might pass.

For those who have this game please share with the rest of us what you like about the game and hate about the game.

Thanks

I don't have it (yet; going to import the UK version), but I have played all of the preceding games in the series, and I can pretty much assure you that the graphics will seem below-par, and the control certainly isn't going to reach triple-A levels of fluidity. Acquire is a smaller, more independent dev studio, and as such their titles aren't usually the kind to wow anyone from a technical standpoint (not to mention the fact that WotS4 is already kind of old in Japan; it's a wonder that it's finally getting a domestic release after so much time has passed).
The appeal usually comes more from the concepts and atmosphere that they present. There aren't many other places you can find honest-to-goodness ninja stealth games anymore, or open-environment samurai adventure games. Their games present something different from the current norm, but you shouldn't expect them to have Uncharted-level production values or anything like that.

I would say $40 is far too much for a digital-only release (and one that's already more than a year old in Japan, at that). I'll probably pay even more than that for the physical UK copy myself, but that's just because I desperately want the game for my collection; I'm already a huge fan of the series, and I've wanted this since it was first announced.

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 pm

OL wrote:
Cave Johnson wrote:I like japanese games, especially these niche style ones. Has anyone played this game yet (yes I know it just got released). I bought Shinobido Revenge of Zen on the Vita and I was kind of dissapointed with that game (lost interest), and this looks like it was made by the same team Acquire. If it has the same feel as Shinobido as far as controls and graphics I might pass.

Thanks

The appeal usually comes more from the concepts and atmosphere that they present. There aren't many other places you can find honest-to-goodness ninja stealth games anymore, or open-environment samurai adventure games. Their games present something different from the current norm, but you shouldn't expect them to have Uncharted-level production values or anything like that.

Nailed it. These games have such a charm to them that normally outshine all of the jank (and oh boy, is there a lot of jank in Acquire's games). Acquire to me, are one of the last bastions of those Japanese developed PS2 era sort of games alongside creative gems (Sumioni, Shinibido series, What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls, Way of the Samurai series the list goes on and on) who create a wide variety of games. I so hope they don't shut down like so many of their ilk have this gen.
I'm glad that despite the asking price, XSEED are continuing to support Acquire's games (like Sumioni for Vita, Wizardry for PS3 and this) since they obviously recognise the strengths of their games.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm going to import it as well. 40$ for digital only is asking for trouble.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Return to General Gaming