Deletion/Moving of the Junk forum

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Deletion/Moving of the Junk forum

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi guys. We have talked a lot about it a lot in the past couple of weeks and have come to the decision that the deletion of the Junk forum is the right way to go in regards to moving forward with the boards. I know there are some at the Dojo who are reluctant to see changes take place, and i have to say its an understandable reaction. But we have been in a transitional period over the past month or so, and whilst this is one of the biggest decisions to come out from all of this, it also appears to be the right decision. It is also a decision supported by a majority of the community (and also others who are indifferent to the forums existence) and certainly wouldn't be considered without that support.

The Junk Forum has been around here for as long as i can remember. It was always used for general spam, and in its later years for NSFW posts. I would tend to be on the indifferent side of the Junk Forums existence, but i would have never really have taken part in anything going on in there. However, one thing that's noticeable is that over the past 6 months in particular, the activity in Junk has decreased greatly. I mean even now, there hasn't been a post in there in over 48 hours, and over the past month only 5-6 topics have seen less than a few posts apiece.
Another thing is that if you read through a lot of the threads in there, you will see that they are not spam at all, but discussions that may have stemmed from an idiotic statement or joke which are still sensibly based and without insult or threat. So in reality, there is no need for those threads to exist in that forum at all.
Also (which i think we have said before), the staff are all on the same page now, and will be more lenient in regards to moderating the boards via interpretation of the TOS. Spam will always be spam, but unless it just goes way out of hand, then there is no harm in threads going a bit off track, or members kidding around with other members. As long as people still treat other people with respect and without insult then we are not gonna have any issues.

So, what will happen now....

What will happen now is that topics from the latest pages of Junk (around 5 pages perhaps) will be looked at, and if considered to be in any way valuable, will be moved and/or merged with other forums/topics around the board. For example, the "Ask Brothaman" topic is fine with me, and will be moved to General Discussion. Its fun, and there is a difference between fun and spam. Another example is the "Things that made you laugh - junk edition" topic. I mean that can be merged with the identical topic that exists in General Discussion.
Now i know people will possibly say, "but that was created because of NSFW related material", which was the case, but i am sort of unclear on the topic of NSFW posts at the minute, and i will wait on Yama to give a bit more clarification on this. But as far as i would say, NSFW posts would be ok provided if they are simply marked "NSFW" above the related picture/video and also the picture/video is spoiler tagged. But like i said, we will wait and see on this.

Once this process is complete, the Junk Forum will then be deleted. Since members posts did not contribute towards their overall post count, the lost posts will not be subtracted from a users post count. In fact, it works the opposite way with various topics being moved out of Junk, and into forums where posts are added to your count, that users post count will actually increase ( a few members have made a lot of posts in the "Ask Brothaman" topic for example). Also, with the rep system being reset in the past few days, there will be minimal/no loss to any members rep score.

One last thing whilst this is going on, is if we could ask members not to make anymore posts/topics in the Junk Forum, and now begin to consider that forum closed. This will make it easier for the forums pages to be looked at, and the switch overs and merges to be smoothly done. Like i said at the beginning, i understand if some members feel this is not right or just. But we are trying to move forward, and we feel that this move is contributing to the boards overall, rather than taking anything away from it. Also, we really are grateful for your patience and support during this time. Its appreciated as always :nice!:

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Deletion of the Junk forum

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I rarely visit the Junk forum. Won't matter to me if it's gone. I like the idea of moving relevant topics into the general forum.

And I have no interest in posting any NSFW material in this place anyway. Ine-san would not approve.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Yukupo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Are all the old junk forum topics going to be deleted? (I actually don't know how much of the really old ones still exist.) But there is a lot of history in there. You could archive the rest that you don't move in a locked sub forum of some kind instead of deleting them all. Just a thought.

Yukupo has received a thanks from: Rakim
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spokane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Ine-san isn't a hot bitch though, some of the the NSFW stuff is.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Axm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Seems like a decent way to transition the junk. I also never really post there. Also I think its a great way overall to get rid of any confusion with people being serious vs. taking the piss out or w/e with people. Less drama perhaps.

Yukupo wrote:Are all the old junk forum topics going to be deleted? (I actually don't know how much of the really old ones still exist.) But there is a lot of history in there. You could archive the rest that you don't move in a locked sub forum of some kind instead of deleting them all. Just a thought.

Well like Peter said, alot of the more general appropriate threads from junk will be moved over. Anything that can be moved to another forum will be. Seems fair enough.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Yea, we said the past 5 pages as a suggestion, but also due to the size of the entire forum and the man power that would be needed to read through all of it to find . Perhaps if anyone knows of any specific topics that they could link us to in regards to "Dojo history". But it would be history though, and not just nostalga because if that were the case, then it would mean that the entire junk forum would just be moved into GD ya know?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Actually, looking at it it looks like there's no topics before 2006. I guess something must've happened to it. :???:

I seem to vaguely remember something about it being deleted at some point. :-k
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Deletion/Moving of the Junk forum

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Really?? See i am not too sure of this is a "confession" of some sort, but even though i joined here in 2004 and have been active for the majority of it, i am very sketchy on Dojo history. I know theres a lot of history to this place, and also a lot of incidents, from member banning to full site takeovers. But i know theres a lot of stuff that i dont know of and/or remember.

But i see that it only goes as far back as 2006. I am not too sure if it only started up then, or if it was deleted by TEEPO perhaps?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't think moving it makes post counts go up. Mines the same as before you moved bromans.

Don't care, just saying.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:54 pm

@Peter: Innit, I registered with another account in 2003 that I totally forgot about (can't even remember the name), and I think my first "proper" account actually got deleted, coz I can't find it anywhere. I know what you mean about Dojo history though, I only really know the shit that I was there for, which usually involved me anyway in some form or another.

I'm a legend.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Spokane wrote:I don't think moving it makes post counts go up. Mines the same as before you moved bromans.

Don't care, just saying.

Hmmm i may edit that out of the original post then. I dont know about the coding of the boards, but i just assumed that with posts not being within the specific forum then they would be counted. I have never cared for my post count either, nor my rep, but i understand if people do. Maybe Mr.Rod knows anything more on it?? :-k
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Post counts will in fact go up, they simply need to be recounted (which takes five seconds) after the move.

It's not so much deleting the junk forum, but moving it as well. So topic title modified. Good post though Peter, thanks.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Spokane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Mine's still the same though. (except for these new posts of course)

When you deleted the Donators only forum those were subtracted.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Spokane wrote:Mine's still the same though. (except for these new posts of course)

When you deleted the Donators only forum those were subtracted.

they simply need to be recounted (which takes five seconds) after the move

My wording may have been poor, but I meant after the entire move/deletion of the forum. We have not hit the recalculate button yet and won't until it's all said and done.

Yama has received a thanks from: Spokane
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Yama, Henry and Peter start taking apart the junk forum: http://www.grapheine.com/bmovie-tv/publ ... 80c54.html

Riku Rose has received 4 thanks from: Peter, Spokane, wude, Yama
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo