Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Ouch but hey cheats should be punished.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19369375
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

Postby ys » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm not a fan of him, not against either, but I think that this is ridiculous. Just for the fact that there are many others who did the same and didn't get this punishment. There are even a few who won several times during the sixties etc. who admitted in recent years that everyone took doping back then. But there's been no talk at all of taking their titles. So it's the fact that it's not consequent that bothers me a bit. Like some athletes who performed amazingly and then suddenly quit. They could as well investigate lots of those older cases too.

ys has received a thanks from: Spokane
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:48 pm

I dont follow this guy or bike racing at all but how was this not known until now?
Did they ever think to test him during the nearly 10 years this guy was winning? I'm not sure I follow how something like this can now finally come into full fruition.
Every major sports athlete gets tested atleast once a year, sometimes multiple times. And if you're in the Olympics, everytime you win a medal you're tested.
How does someone get away with this?
7 wins? And now? What a waste of time it's been more everyone else that were in those races who did it legitimately.
Last edited by Axm on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 pm

I remember playing an online game against this guy like 8-10 years ago and we exchanged where we were from, he was French and hated Armstrong worth a passion and this was only after 3 wins or so. That guy is probably happy right now, anything that makes that French bastard happy is not a good thing.

ys already said what's on my mind. It's only fair if they stripe every admitted cheater of their titles also.

^ And AXM, he never admitted, he just gave up fighting for his innocence because he knew they would never believe him.

Spokane has received a thanks from: OL
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby OL » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 pm

^^Thank you.
He didn't cheat.
He's just refusing to take anymore drug tests, when he's passed all of the multitude of ones he's taken in the past. He's been hounded by this anti-doping group for months now -- post-retirement, no less -- and he just got so tired of their bullshit that he's refusing any more tests. When you accomplish things like he has and people still strive to find fault with your accomplishments, it can wear on you. I don't really blame him for finally just saying "fuck you" to this group and refusing any more of their harassment.
But it's still absolute crap that they're stripping him of everything he's achieved. I hated reading about this. Even more now that apparently people are jumping to the conclusion the he cheated, just based on these headlines.

OL has received a thanks from: Spokane
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 pm

It is odd they seem to have it in for him so much.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:58 pm

An American winning the Tour de France over and over...
If any of its members are French, then it's not really as odd as one might initially think.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Spokane, Who Really Cares?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:00 pm

True, hell im suprised the french have not demanded 50,000 tests for Team GB's cyclists as they called us cheats every chance they got during the Olympics simply because we keep beating them.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:00 pm

ys wrote:I'm not a fan of him, not against either, but I think that this is ridiculous. Just for the fact that there are many others who did the same and didn't get this punishment. There are even a few who won several times during the sixties etc. who admitted in recent years that everyone took doping back then. But there's been no talk at all of taking their titles. So it's the fact that it's not consequent that bothers me a bit. Like some athletes who performed amazingly and then suddenly quit. They could as well investigate lots of those older cases too.

well this is a good first step don't you think? you've got to start somewhere and I'm guessing it might be too late to take action against those who cheated back in the 60's or such drugs might of not even been banned at the time, but I guess at the end of the day doping is a part of the game for many and some were able to hide it better than others, who's to say many don't get gene doping nowadays? it's possible and a lot of olympians bodies in countries that could afford it seem to be more than perfect for the sport they're competing in
Who Really Cares? wrote:It is odd they seem to have it in for him so much.

the French are really spiteful, they changed the rules because we kept on winning everything at the olympics so we could enter less cyclists and then when we won everything again they accused us of having magic wheels, pas trés classe...
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm

south carmain wrote:the French are really spiteful, they changed the rules because we kept on winning everything at the olympics so we could enter less cyclists and then when we won everything again they accused us of having magic wheels, pas trés classe...

Yeah me and my mate were talking about that down the pub and as we said if that's ''fair'' then we best change the rules in running cause 3 Jamaican's won the medals in the 200M
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 pm

What a crock of shit. A legend like him being tainted by the jealous French like that, shameful, just shameful.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm

OL wrote:^^Thank you.
He didn't cheat.
He's just refusing to take anymore drug tests, when he's passed all of the multitude of ones he's taken in the past. He's been hounded by this anti-doping group for months now -- post-retirement, no less -- and he just got so tired of their bullshit that he's refusing any more tests. When you accomplish things like he has and people still strive to find fault with your accomplishments, it can wear on you. I don't really blame him for finally just saying "fuck you" to this group and refusing any more of their harassment.
But it's still absolute crap that they're stripping him of everything he's achieved. I hated reading about this. Even more now that apparently people are jumping to the conclusion the he cheated, just based on these headlines.

Forgive me for looking like an asshole here but...

Still not sure I follow the argument for him still. Seems like the same situations we have with home run hitters in baseball. And I didn't just read the headlines like you'd like to believe. So I know he hasnt been proven guilty nor innocent, but why avoid taking more tests if it will finally clear his name? If the alligations are so strong with 10 former team mates trying to come out against him why not prove them wrong by just doing it? What is there to loose? If he's passed previously why not pass again? I feel for the guy being hounded so much but why not save the titles on the line? Is one more bullshit test gonna break the guy? Is the USDA really that influenced by the French where he would have no choice to refuse to avoid them lying or tampering with the test?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I don't think they would have let it go until he was stripped of his titles regardless of passing tests. I think they were hellbound to get the verdict they did. They could threaten some diplomatic bullcrap if they disagree and it would never end. If we would have deemed him innocent then the French would have said "Your just doing that because he is American". They would have found an insult against them in any ruling other than the one they wanted.

This is all about politics.

Spokane has received a thanks from: OL
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby OL » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Axm wrote:Still not sure I follow the argument for him still. Seems like the same situations we have with home run hitters in baseball. And I didn't just read the headlines like you'd like to believe. So I know he hasnt been proven guilty nor innocent, but why avoid taking more tests if it will finally clear his name? If the alligations are so strong with 10 former team mates trying to come out against him why not prove them wrong by just doing it? What is there to loose? If he's passed previously why not pass again? I feel for the guy being hounded so much but why not save the titles on the line? Is one more bullshit test gonna break the guy? Is the USDA really that influenced by the French where he would have no choice to refuse to avoid them lying or tampering with the test?

It's because he's been hounded by this same organization for such a long time now. He's already taken test after test, ever since the start of his career, on up to this very year. The guy is retired now. Taking a new test would show absolutely nothing, but these people have kept on him about it regardless. Like Spokes said, this organization was looking for their own specific conclusion, rather than the actual truth. And Armstrong knows that. He knows they wouldn't let up until they can figure out something to screw him over.
So he's just decided to bow out. He doesn't feel it's worth it anymore.
It's easy to say from the outside "well why not just take another test?"
But he's proven himself so many times already that taking another test to appease the naysayers probably feels like an insult to him. And you can only be patient with something like that so many times before you just want to flip them the middle finger and say "I'm done with you," which is exactly what he's done.

OL has received a thanks from: Martin
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm

That makes sense OL.
Pretty horrible to take his medals then if he's really been taking so many tests already.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Off Topic