Neil Armstrong dead

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Neil Armstrong dead

Postby ys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:08 pm

I just read this in one of our newspapers. I'm not going to link since it was in Swedish. Apparently he died from complications after a heart surgery at the age of 82. Anyway, this is really an exceptional icon that passed away. All of these guys who dared to travel to the moon are really heroes according to me.

Strange enough I was just glancing at the recent topic about the other Armstrong. Then shortly after I read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Neil Armstrong dead

Postby Axm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Damn. This is a horrible loss. What a hero he was. Risking his life for the sake of science and mankind. Im such a fan of the cold war space race. That era was so historical. He's probably one of the most recognizable names in history. Cant believe it. Would honestly appriciate a holiday in honor of Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Gods sake. First Lance is disgraced in the world of cycling, then Neil passes away. Hope nothing goes wrong to Stretch.

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Peter wrote:Gods sake. First Lance is disgraced in the world of cycling, then Neil passes away. Hope nothing goes wrong to Stretch.

Haha! Oh dear..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 pm

This sucks. Strange it happens around the same time space travel has been getting more press in the last few weeks.

RIP
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 pm

I only payed attention to armstrong in the title and thought lance had died as a result of his medal/title losses, now I don't know if i should feel sad or relieved lol
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby KiBa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm shocked. I was just reading about him last week, wondering how much longer he'd be around. Now this was a true hero for all mankind. The first man to step foot on another world. What extraordinary courage. All the space explorers. There should be an international event to honor his life and grand achievement. :usa

But the best way to honor him is to not give up space exploration just because a bunch of stupid plutocrats and cynical lazy young people want to hold humanity back (so one will notice how rotten they are). Armstrong, Aldrin, et al said time after time in interviews how deeply ashamed they are of the younger generations, and how they all fully expected at the time that there would be colonies on Mars by now, and how leaders after them let humanity down. They were right, as evidenced by the incredibly cool-headedness of people back then versus the ridiculous behavior of people today whenever the slightest victory is achieved.

I can't believe nobody posted the great moment:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7c-PbfnQuw[/youtube]
Last edited by KiBa on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KiBa has received a thanks from: ys
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spokane » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm

It took some guts to do what he did, rest in peace, you did a lot for the world of science and will continue to be an icon.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Kenny » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:10 pm

It's a damn shame but he lived a long life at least.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mrslig100 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:15 pm

And sesame street's count von count is dead, two in one day, dark times we live in.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Axm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Great scene here from the movie documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon". Proof this guy had balls of steel.
I recommend everyone see this whole doc sometime. Its one of my favorites.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPT5gBqmYbY[/youtube]

Axm has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, ys
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ys » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 am

KiBa wrote:But the best way to honor him is to not give up space exploration just because a bunch of stupid plutocrats and cynical lazy young people want to hold humanity back (so one will notice how rotten they are). Armstrong, Aldrin, et al said time after time in interviews how deeply ashamed they are of the younger generations, and how they all fully expected at the time that there would be colonies on Mars by now, and how leaders after them let humanity down. They were right, as evidenced by the incredibly cool-headedness of people back then versus the ridiculous behavior of people today whenever the slightest victory is achieved.

I fully agree. As astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson says : we stopped dreaming and exploring the frontiers. Which ultimately leads to humanity stagnating.
My father once told me that it was amazing to witness the moon landing on tv and then shortly after look up at the moon and realize that people were there right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_F3pw5F_Pc

He discusses this at length in other videos though and states the fact that science that may seem abstract now very often leads to practical uses later. For example quantum mechanics led to the transistor which is the basis for things people take for granted : computers, smartphones,...
People criticizing the cost usually have no idea either of all the practical applications that came out of space exploration back then. Several things in medicine for example. Just like the particle accelerator at CERN now who also participates in medical research.
And talking about leaders, Neil was allowed to make his case for a bigger space science budget in the Senate. I think about 2-3 senators showed up.

Thanks for the documentary Axm. You can notice there how humble these guys are, as KiBa remarked, considering what they pulled off. I can only imagine how nervous they probably were going to the van that would take them to the launchpad and then actually wait for the launch.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Return to Off Topic