Random Thoughts! v2.0

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Postby Sailors? » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 pm

^ Yes. Although i've gotta work Boxing day and New years which is a dick but ah well. Bought all of my gifts now.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 pm

The gun control argument is not only very annoying, but its timing incredibly insensitive. It also goes nowhere because, as with anything political, there's 2 extreme views that get attention and our leaders in government (and most of the human population) haven't figured out how to compromise and look at situations independently - nor actually suggest ideas for legislation that have even the slimmest chance of passing and making an intended effect on this country.

Those statements about the media's portrayal of events such as these are right on the money, of course. When disturbed young white men who commit these acts find guns easily, though, there also lies a problem. It's also the sad truth that people who live in their own personal hells like that are rarely reached out to or comforted, but rather scorned, bullied, or ignored entirely - forcing them further into isolation.

This discussion always happens too soon and then it fades away. I appreciate Obama's emotion but we'll see about that "meaningful action".

I did find this graphic to point out some obvious discrepancies in the way things are and way things should be, if people only had a little sense.

Lan Di-sama has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Spokane
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sailors? » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 pm

And a quick search comes up an average of 93 people killed each day on the roadways in the U.S.A

Not that the number of deaths by vehicle isn't bad in other countries just that the chart is useless and proves nothing.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:47 pm

K, and an NPR radio show said something about 15,000 deaths in the US annually from gun violence (with mass murder deaths being about 150 annually). I personally can't confirm that #, but if true translates to around 40 deaths a day by gun violence, half the amount you quoted for car accident deaths.

If as many people had guns as had cars then I'd imagine the death toll from gun violence (and accidental deaths) might actually be comparable to the death toll from car accidents. That chart merely points out that a car- whose main function is not to maim or kill - requires its owner to have his/her shit together if they want to acquire and maintain their ownership of the car. It just doesn't make a lot of sense that guns should be easier to get.

Now I'm getting drawn into the argument I can't stand. I don't know if stricter gun laws would help. Even if a tough law did prevent one person from obtaining the means they need to commit such an act, there's no way we'd really know it. And, in a timeline where such a gun law exists, some other tragedy might happen instead. I just think it's dumb that you wouldn't have to do those things to get a weapon that is capable of changing the world in mere seconds. Not saying the regulation would actually prevent anything but we're subjected to so many regulations and hoops to jump through in so many other aspects of life, like car ownership.

Deaths from car accidents are tragic. But a single mentally disturbed person can't drive a car into an elementary school and run over 26 people 3-11 times apiece. I guess I just don't think guns are cool, but I do respect people who are responsibly interested for their reasons.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 am

Ryudo wrote: I have personally hated guns since I nearly shot and killed my dad/mom.

so how did that happen then?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 am

redline wrote:
Ryudo wrote: I have personally hated guns since I nearly shot and killed my dad/mom.

Was an act of self defense but mom stepped in front at the last moment to stop me. This was maybe when I was 16
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby redline » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:12 am

Ryudo wrote:
redline wrote:

Was an act of self defense but mom stepped in front at the last moment to stop me. This was maybe when I was 16

i see. you guys have strict laws so i guess you could of ended up in prison for life if you did do something.

(we have some of the softest laws in the world & they wonder why crime in the uk is on the rise.)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:38 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Pvj95AkDg[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby beedle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 am

mue 26 wrote:Yeah I feel ya beeds, but then, how long do you realistically think it would take a country like the united states to tackle all those problems that are currently rife? Sure, let people have whatever guns they want when society has elevated to the point that all those plights you speak of have vanished, and people are physically, mentally and spiritually content. Hell, get rid of laws all together once you get to that point. But as long as we are stuck with laws and government it seems a madness to me that guns are so easily available in the states. It comes down to a simple question: If it were made much harder to own a firearm in the united states, would the number of firearm casualties and fatalities in that country dramatically fall? I think any sane person knows the answer is yes. And so I feel the American government has a responsibly to it's people to do something.

Maybe it does. I'm pro-regulation, but why would you ignore these bigger problems? Shootings are a symptom of a wider illness in American society. Look beneath the surface; banning guns is simply papering over the cracks.

As much as you call it unrealistic to actually tackle these social issues, it is equally, if not more unrealistic to imagine that tighter controls on guns would be able to be enacted.

mue 26 wrote:We've got poverty, mental illness and gangs in the UK too. But we don't have many of these mass shooting massacres, thankfully.

That is because we aren't the US. We have a different culture. Plenty of other countries have little gun regulation but don't have so many of these shootings.

mue 26 wrote:I think it's totally unrealistic to ask people not to react and question the gun regulation after such an immensely horrendous massacre.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss it, I'm saying laws shouldn't be put in place immediately after. There's a better time for it. Think 9/11 and the Patriot Act.

redline wrote:(we have some of the softest laws in the world & they wonder why crime in the uk is on the rise.)

um... got a source? for either of those points.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Anyone excited for Christmas yet?

Nah.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Another random thought. Since I lost my Shenmue 2, I bought another one for the Xbox. Is it playable on the 360 at all or will I have to pull out the original?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Yeah, you can play it on your 360. You'll have to download an update when you launch the disc though. There are also a few bugs, but nothing major or game-breaking. Less bugs than Shenmue II on an emulator, anyway.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:18 pm

They sure don't build bridges this tough in China.

http://www.prochan.com/view?p=da1_1351183858
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Maybe it does. I'm pro-regulation, but why would you ignore these bigger problems? Shootings are a symptom of a wider illness in American society. Look beneath the surface; banning guns is simply papering over the cracks.

As much as you call it unrealistic to actually tackle these social issues, it is equally, if not more unrealistic to imagine that tighter controls on guns would be able to be enacted.

I completely agree. And I never said tackling those social issues was unrealistic, I was simply questioning how long it might take, as I believe it will take the US a hell of a lot of time and soul searching before such issues are moved significantly closer towards eradication. Hence why I think in the interim it would save a hell of a lot of lives if guns were harder to come by. Even lan di-sama, who I know from previous debates enjoys his firearms, seems to want regulation tightened up.

That is because we aren't the US. We have a different culture. Plenty of other countries have little gun regulation but don't have so many of these shootings.

But this only proves my point further. Making guns very easily accessible to a nation of people that have a proven record of handling them in a especially irresponsible manner, is madness. As I said, if society in the States gets toward the point where people are looking like they might actually not want to shoot each other, give them whatever they want!

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss it, I'm saying laws shouldn't be put in place immediately after. There's a better time for it. Think 9/11 and the Patriot Act.

Fair point.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic