American vs. PAL vs. Japanese

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: NTSC vs. PAL vs. Japanese

Postby Spokane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Bluecast wrote: Spokes Japan is also NTSC.

Yeah, didn't know. But they sometimes still have diff covers so you got what I meant.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Re: American vs. PAL vs. Japanese

Postby OL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:23 pm

US and Japanese covers (the EU version is the same as the Japanese one):

Not actually sure which one I like more.
Both are the same basic idea, just a different amount of clothing. :lol:
I might be leaning more toward the Japanese one, just because the inclusion of more clothing obviously makes his character design stand out more, and the blue flames are a teensy bit more prominent in it, which would make it a bit more eye-catching on a store shelf.
Both are good though.

And just a reminder, the topic is also about which you like more and why...

OL has received a thanks from: Spokane
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Uncharted 2:

US & EU

Japan

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Rakim
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:09 pm

^ Reminds me of the Shenmue 2x cover
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:18 pm

I don't dislike the US boxart of Lost Odyssey I just freakin love the Japanese one. Kaim looks tired fits the theme, makes you wonder what kind of game would have such a pissed off protagonist.

JP

US

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Thief
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Takehiko Inoue is a fantastic artist. I never even realized he did design work for Lost Odyssey, until now.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:53 pm

LAMEWAD wrote: Takehiko Inoue is a fantastic artist. I never even realized he did design work for Lost Odyssey, until now.

gotta love that slam dunk. To be honest as much as i loved that game i wish it had done something alittle more interesting with its visuals, though i have to say, it using the unreal engine showed how not only that RPGs could be more easily developed using established engines but also lead to changes in engines like Unity and Gamebryo, as well as square-enix's own attempts at building in house long term solutions.

...sorry i just really respect lost odyssey. (and I also love slam Dunk)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Why are you saying sorry? :lol: I see no reason to say sorry.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Spokane wrote: Why are you saying sorry? :lol: I see no reason to say sorry.

Its just one of those technical things i could go on about forever and most people think that kind of thing is boring.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Another thing people don't like is when you hide what you want to say from them. ;-)
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Well if someone asks me in the RPG thread then I'll explain it.

Back on topic.
This one has always been a no brainer to me, its another one of those things where the US version became super generic.

JP:

US:

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I don't dislike the US boxart of Lost Odyssey I just freakin love the Japanese one. Kaim looks tired fits the theme, makes you wonder what kind of game would have such a pissed off protagonist.

JP

US

Oddly I like the US version better.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Spokane wrote: Why are you saying sorry? :lol: I see no reason to say sorry.

Its just one of those technical things i could go on about forever and most people think that kind of thing is boring.

I already mentioned this a couple times. Why does Mistwalker love his tilt shift angles and blurs to trick the gamers eye in making it look better than it really does. It's not a complaint as he uses it well IMO esp in BD & TLS.
I agree LO needed some better art direction in game and some characters look really weird not to mention those soldiers with those things on their head.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Martin » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

A couple latter-day N64 classics which I have, in all their guises. These two were both released in 2000, I believe.

Perfect Dark
PAL

NTSC-U

NTSC-J

One of my all-time favourites. I have it in PAL and NTSC-U, but not the Japanese one. I'm gonna say that I like the Japanese cover art best with this one. Even though it wasn't a Japanese game (MADE IN BLIGHTY, FUCKERS!), NOJ gave it an awesome cover art in that region. As I understand it, the Japanese never really took to FPS games. So I guess that was Nintendo's way of tricking people over there into buying it? Whatever - awesome cover for a game that probably nobody in Japan bought.

The difference between the PAL and US box arts is weird. At a glance, they seem very similar. Then you realise that they are, in fact, totally different, made from totally different assets/what have you. Not sure which I prefer. There's cool things about both. If I had to choose, I would say the US box art just nabs it. The two Joannas are in a similar pose, and the intent is similar. While PAL Jo looks more like she does in the game (design-wise), and it's nice how the system info isn't taking up a border on the right, but transparently laid unto the art.. there's just something badass about the US box art. Just the laser and her gleaming eyes in the dark, which better suits the game. Slightly.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
PAL

NTSC-U

NTSC-J

Another one of my all-time favourites. Again, the Japanese box art is wildly-different to the others, which also again are fairly similar to each other. I don't know if it's just because, in my part of the world at least, they have some 'exotic' vibe, but I love the art on my Japanese games. They're just wacky, and fantastic to look at. I'm sure there's a big falsehood on my part, there. For as much as I think my Japanese Banjo-Kazooie has awesome art, the western releases had art which was much more in-line with the content of the game.

Back to MM. Love this game to pieces. Between the Collector's Edition US box (of which I could not find a 'regular' flavour), and the standard green PAL box, I have to say I much prefer the PAL box art. Same title with a different background, essentially. Whilst I can totally see where they were going with the US one (madness/power exuding from the Mask of Majora), it just looks kind of shit. Like a filter sloppily-applied in Photoshop. Conversely, the PAL box contains some beautiful art hidden in shades of green. This looks like it could have been as equally a quick effort in Photoshop, but the difference (to my eye) is that the latter looks good. Also, we again see the transparent system info overlaid onto otherwise uninterrupted art on the PAL box. NOE were doing this around this time, wonder why the other regions weren't?

Gonna give this one to PAL in the west, and I can't decide between PAL or Japanese overall.

P.S. However, the hologram on my US cart blows away my shitty PAL one :D

Martin has received a thanks from: Spokane
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby OL » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:03 am

Galerians Ash. Japanese and US versions.

This one is strange, since I actually really love the original artwork for the Galerians games. But despite that, I can't help but like the US cover better on this one.
Despite being a nice bit of character artwork, the Japanese one just feels like it lacks much offhand impact. To me at least, it doesn't feel like it would stand out from the crowd, and make you want to check it out just based on the box art. A little too much white in there, and the colors present are a bit too neutral. It's a nice piece when you single it out and really look at it, but on a shelf full of games, it probably wouldn't make much of an impression.
The US boxart is a bit more mysterious though, with kind of an odd, creepy edge to it, and a good little splash of color. Kind of a sense of menace to it, and I love that. Come to think of it, it was probably this piece of boxart that made me want to check the series out to begin with.

OL has received a thanks from: Spokane
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming