Aggravating gaming moments

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Aggravating gaming moments

Postby Tuffty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Some deaths in Dark Souls is tough to take. The most recent example of the most aggravating moment is in The Witcher 2, a side quest that starts early in the game carries on through so that you can only continue the quest if you've gotten up to a certain point in the game. At one point, in order to continue with the quest you need to collect 4 ingredients, which are obtained by monster drops. 3 of the 4 are easy enough got through common enemy types, but the last one you can get from a 'boss' encounter. So after killing the boss, a cutscene kicked in and when I went to pick up the loot, it wasn't there. Turns out it's a bug, that you have to pick up the item immediately before the cutscene begins or it's gone forever. Course I didn't realise this until way after when looking it up online, and I was too far gone in the game at that point to go back for it. Even at that, I don't think I had a savefile either. So all the time spent, thinking about the potentially cool item you can get for doing it all....came to nothing.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yama » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:The tower in NG+ for Parasite Eve

When I saw Parasite Eve, I definitely thought I was going to read the Chrysler Building. ](*,)
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 pm

I think that's what he's talking about.

I agree with him on the last boss for Vagrant Story though. Not necessarily in regards to his weaknesses, but rather because of one particular move which, if I'm remembering right, auto-kills you if you fail to stop it. In order to stop it, you have to interrupt him by attacking him. Problem is, he only shows up on-screen for a split-second while doing the move, which leaves a very slim margin of error as he flies over you. Took me several tries to get it right. Tough bastard.

I also once accidentally erased my save data for Devil May Cry 3 after having beaten the game three or four times and leveling up most of the various fighting styles you can use. That was a helluva lot of work, all down the drain. Don't even remember how I did it, I just remember being pissed as hell.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Not played in a long time but late in the game of Grandia you have to do a certain weird overly complicated rainbow like path and have to go in a certain order any mistake will keep leading you in circles but nowhere does the game tell you this. So for the first time ever I used a gamefaq.

Also a moment in FFIX where cid has to get these keys without a creature in a cage noticing him and you are timed. My thumb kept twitching and making cid move by mistake. Pissed me off so much I put the game away fro a few years. I did eventually complete it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 am

OL wrote: I think that's what he's talking about.

It is, yeah.

OL wrote: I agree with him on the last boss for Vagrant Story though. Not necessarily in regards to his weaknesses, but rather because of one particular move which, if I'm remembering right, auto-kills you if you fail to stop it. In order to stop it, you have to interrupt him by attacking him. Problem is, he only shows up on-screen for a split-second while doing the move, which leaves a very slim margin of error as he flies over you. Took me several tries to get it right. Tough bastard.

Exactly. He can one shot you, that and he's incredibly hard to catch up to (fastest moving enemy in the game) and most of the time he stays just out of range to troll you even more.

Just remembered another one: this time from Gungnir on PSP. Sting are sort of notorious for difficult RPGs and this one is no exception. There's a couple of battles where you are pretty much required to lose, but I did not know this and kept resetting the game with Start+Select+L+R just as I was about to die so I could restart the battle. I kept thinking at the time the boss had a ridiculous amount of HP and the enemies kept on coming (kill one, another walks into the battle) I didn't even know that the boss is pretty much invincible and the enemies keep respawning for eternity. I spent about two hours on that one battle. I was pretty pissed.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 am

Turok 2 Seeds Of Evil. Fucking all of it.

Halo 2 - the ending
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 am

FFXIII - The final boss has an auto kill move that you can't prevent and if the main character dies you get game over. I was up until about 2AM trying to beat that guy.

Mass Effect - I saved my game for some stupid reason where the car thing you drive was almost broken and I had about 20 enemies around me. I stopped playing it but went back and beat it about a year later.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 pm

I managed to fuck up my save for Just Cause 2. It was partially my fault, so I wasn't quite as pissed off about it as I usually would be, but the game still made it WAY too easy for that to happen. It is a HUGE game too, so to go from a high percentage to a low one is actually a lot of hours pissed up the wall.

I've saved games in stupid places countless times (i.e. in the sort of situations similar to what Riku posted up there). I've also saved them in what I thought were OK places though, only for my characters to "move" when the games load, sending me off an edge, into water, stuck in the wall, etc., which was incredibly annoying.

Various Soul Calibur games, but especially the DC one, had me proper spazzing out. Especially any of those challenges you had to do, where Voldo was the opposition. Intense hatred for that gimp.

I once snapped a Need for Speed 2 PS1 disk. I can't remember if I frisbee'd it against the wall, or if I just bent it until it cracked, either way I did end up touching it though, and I definitely remember the cut it gave me, so ultimately the game still "won" even though it wasn't in the Playstation. :lol:

I broke my first Xbox by throwing a controller at it when, in first place, I spun on one of the last corners of the very last (hardest) race of the free Sega GT game I got with the Xbox (which came with JSRF on the same disk. Interestingly, even though I found some of JSRF pretty hard, I never got angry with it) for absolutely no apparent reason, other than the red-mist tinted impression that the game was just cheating and fucking with me 'cos I was in first place in the hard stages of the game . I launched the controller at the console, which must have jarred the HDD, 'cos it was that that got replaced (luckily under warranty). It meant though that I had to play through everything again, 'cos all my saves were on the fucked HDD. Funnily enough, the game tried the exact same trick (first place, last lap, "last" race, same corner, same weirdly easy to start but impossible to catch oversteer) though I managed not to throw the controller the second time.

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Bluecast has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 pm

FM's infamous crash dump error. Only just got my save fixed by SI. Gonna see if it works in a bit, but they said not to get my hopes up...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm

There is one I'm surprised Yukio has yet to mention.
Viewtiful Joe PS2 Demo disc. Erased all his data across multiple games. Mostly RPG's so he put a LOT of time into them.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:15 pm

A demo disk fucked his memory card? :shock:

How'd it manage that!?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: A demo disk fucked his memory card? :shock:

How'd it manage that!?

It affected everyone who played the demo disc if they had a memory card plugged in. How I don't know but that was the first time I seen yukio go apeshit.
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/vi ... 216p1.html
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Jesus. :shock:

Think it's a good job I never had that disk! :lol:

St. Elmo's Fire has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, MiTT3NZ
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Darksiders II freezing at least 30 times. At least it was good so that I kept bothering to turn it back on afterwards. And the fact that the autosave is pretty damn good in it I never lost any progress.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming