New Ecco coming?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

New Ecco coming?

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:24 am

The creator of Ecco the Dolphin has announced he is meeting with Sega to discuss a new title in the aquatic adventure series.

Ecco mastermind Ed Annunziata revealed the news via his Twitter account (via VG247, and added that publisher interest made the chances of a new game multiply by a hundred.

"Chances of a new Ecco the Dolphin x100!" he excitedly wrote.

Subsequent messages revealed Annunziata had doodled an Ecco drawing on his whiteboard and, perhaps more importantly, secured the services of original Ecco composer Spencer Nielsen for the project.

Ecco the Dolphin first surfaced on Sega Mega Drive. Several sequels followed, while the original was later released on Steam, Wii Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -with-sega

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8p-wz-oVHE[/youtube]

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: New Ecco coming?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:59 am

I thought it was pretty decent on the Game Gear, but it's a little too mediocre (and overrated) a series for me to get excited about...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

The DC one was hard as shit but very relaxing.

I'd be for it if they made the area bigger and had a similar relaxing soundtrack to it so I can swim around and do whatever.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Birty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Ecco on the Megadrive, as much as I love it...was one SOLID game that I know for a fact I just won't ever complete it. It's so difficult!!!

Birty has received a thanks from: KiBa
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby OL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Was coincidentally watching a video of the last level/boss from the first game a few days ago. Yeah, it looks damn near impossible (if there's a limit on lives, that is... can;t remember. Otherwise it just looks like trial-and-error hell).
Always loved the series though. Absolutely unique in almost every way, atmosphere above all else.
Still haven't played the DC/PS2 version though. Been meaning to try it.
I'm really curious as to how a new Ecco game would turn out though. We live in an age where quiet, slow-moving games just don't tend to fly quite so much anymore (unless they're indie games, in which case they're generally DLC-only).
I wonder if the aspects that made the originals so unique could ever be translated faithfully to a retail game made now...
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Birty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm

OL wrote: just don't tend to fly quite so much anymore (unless they're indie games, in which case they're generally DLC-only).
I wonder if the aspects that made the originals so unique could ever be translated faithfully to a retail game made now...

It depends how they made it. They could go down the route of making it like Sonic 4 with a 2.5D game, that could work. Actually thinking about it, I think it would be better to go down the Sonic 4 route with it, not sure what people think. Only problem is I don't feel that Sega make "complicated" games like Ecco anymore, I mean REAL complicated. Look at this final level from Ecco 2, not sure if this is what OL was looking at, here. Can you imagine a level like that in any modern day Sega game haha!
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Thief » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:27 pm

I really hope they don't make another 2D one. Not that the 2D ones are bad or anything, but there was something really great about exploring underwater and looking at all the sea life in the dreamcast version.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Birty wrote:
OL wrote: just don't tend to fly quite so much anymore (unless they're indie games, in which case they're generally DLC-only).

It depends how they made it. They could go down the route of making it like Sonic 4 with a 2.5D game, that could work. Actually thinking about it, I think it would be better to go down the Sonic 4 route with it, not sure what people think.

That could work, I think, but it would probably feel like a step backwards. They've already covered the 2D route pretty thoroughly with the two Genesis games, and just a little bit extra with Ecco Jr.
If they want to keep moving forward with it, I think the best route would be to go fully-3D, like the DC/PS2 iteration. The series is very reliant on (and is very good with) atmosphere, and I think keeping it in a fully-explorable 3D environment would be the best way to go about utilizing that strength.
Part of what I said also questions whether it could work as a retail game, specifically, meaning one that would be released physically in stores, sitting alongside the rest of the big guns. If it were 2.5D, chances are that it'd be digital-only.

OL has received a thanks from: KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Great news. I've loved the Ecco series since the beginning. The DC Ecco is my favorite in the series, so I hope they continue down that route, mainly because it worked really well, unlike a lot of 3d attempts at 2d franchises. What a beautiful and unique game.

Also, Darren Aronofsky totally ripped the bubble ship in The Fountain from Defender of the Future:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysiFDAAInrU[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby wdrpgwd » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Great news. I just threw in Ecoo to play one more time. I use to love this game.

wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to General Gaming