This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 am

I kinda have to double post because otherwise it'd just be one page of text.

south carmain wrote:
Bluecast wrote: Also look at me and Manny's Wii collection. No Wii fit. The consumer end it's all subjective as they say what they liked best.

well to be fair invested gamers like you and manny are somewhat a rarity nowadays

If that were true I'd have more 360 games then Wii anyway. but my biggest library is PC then Wii, then 360, then ps3 has the least.

(I'm also counting PC games released between 2005-now so not diabloe or anything I've had for years.)

Who Really Cares? wrote:Well yeah not everyone bought Wii Fit but the Wii clearly got a lot of its attention from non gamers. And yes i would say most of the Wii's owners were not the typical core gamer. They were moms or dads hell even grand parents.

Hence the creation of kinect and Move as well as stuff like wonderbooks, its because its lucrative. In the next few years you'll see more of MS and Sony trying to pull more casuals with stuff exactly like wii fit and wii sports. You know, like Move Champions and kinect sports. Ever notice all three games have the same little modular icons for activities?

Who Really Cares? wrote:I know a few who bought it for Wii Fit. Juts looked it the 6th best seller on Wii or 5th if you ignore Wii Sports which comes with every console.

Wii Fit plus also sold a lot.

New super mario bros 2 is a wiiu launch game and its listed ad having sold more copies then wii fit. I think that should be kept in mind when thinking of whether or not the wiiu will do well.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/1 ... pdf#page=7
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I kinda have to double post because otherwise it'd just be one page of text.

south carmain wrote:
Bluecast wrote: Also look at me and Manny's Wii collection. No Wii fit. The consumer end it's all subjective as they say what they liked best.

well to be fair invested gamers like you and manny are somewhat a rarity nowadays

If that were true I'd have more 360 games then Wii anyway.

so you don't game often? invested gamer= someone who invest a lot of time and emotions in to gaming, basically someone who would list gaming as one of their primary hobbies
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am

No, i'm an invested gamer, but I'm invested regardless of console. I buy the best version of each game for the best console with few exceptions and even with buying games for PC,360, Wii and PS3 as well as handhelds my biggest library this gen is PC followed by wii (which I play most of my wii games on anyway)

Just making the point that theres a lot of exclusive stuff for wii, so much so that its the biggest library I've got and I sold off wii sports, never bought resort, gave away wii play and wii fit and never even thought about buying fit plus.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:19 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: No, i'm an invested gamer, but I'm invested regardless of console

I never said otherwise, I just said that as people like you and ryudo are a minority in gaming nowadays so you're not really the perfect group to cite as examples
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 am

south carmain wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: No, i'm an invested gamer, but I'm invested regardless of console

I never said otherwise, I just said that as people like you and ryudo are a minority in gaming nowadays so you're not really the perfect group to cite as examples

thats not the point though. Its not so much about buying habits but the games themselves. If the 360 had more great games on it then the wii, I'd have more games for it. I'm not very fond of the ps2 as a piece of hardware but i have a TON of games for it, and that not counting multi console stuff which i always bought for another console (so soul calibur 2, mortal kombat, resident evil 4 etc) I have a lot of ps2 games because there were a lot of great ps2 games, same goes for the wii.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:31 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
south carmain wrote:

thats not the point though. Its not so much about buying habits but the games themselves. If the 360 had more great games on it then the wii, I'd have more games for it. I'm not very fond of the ps3 as a piece of hardware but i have a TON of games for it, and that not counting multi console stuff which i always bought for another console (so soul calibur 2, mortal kombat, resident evil 4 etc) I have a lot of ps2 games because there were a lot of great ps2 games, same goes for the wii.

other consoles have nothing to do whith what I was saying, I never said the wii had no games just that citing you as not having wii fit isn't really relevant to the general wii consumer as invested gamers such as yourself represent a pretty small group of the average consumer nowadays
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 am

Thats the point I'm trying to make though. People who didn't buy wii fit are in the minority, but that it applies to everyone. I never bought Just Dance, but that sold a ton more copies then Darksiders, the same way wii fit sold more copies then monster hunter tri, the same way across every sku guitar hero and rock band did tremendously well for years.

The idea of him saying I don't have wii fit, is the idea that I'm not buying casual games, which is true, aside from a few marios (because i don't even have NSMB), but I'm also not buying casual games for other consoles. The idea here is to prove there are good games that are nothing like wii fit and wii sports and I've got a huge library bereft of both.

I understand you're not making this about multiple consoles, I'm just kinda of trying to get across why this gen needs to end, and how it needs to end. With people going nuts over how powerful new hardware is, they need to realize that they aren't going to get these deeper experiences, and i think people need to wake up an realize how much marketing their fed. Its no so much aimed at you, but i'm trying to make sure what you isn't misinterpreted by others.
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro Jr. on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:but I'm also not buying casual games for other consoles. The idea here is to prove there are good games that are nothing like wii fit and wii sports and I've got a huge library bereft of both.

again, I never said otherwise, I never criticised the wii's library nor the console itself, all I said was that you were a minority
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby sylentknyte » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

I usually never jump into a generation until its 2-3 years going. That gives it enough time to find itself, have some quality games out there, enough time for me to decide which one is best, and lets not forget the price drops. I'm a pretty cheap gamer, and nothing would justify my spending over $400 on a game system. Under $300 is where I'm comfortable.

I'm also looking forward to the best games of this gen dropping in price. That'll give me the chance to try out a ton of new series. I only buy a new game if its something I NEED to play, like the next GTA coming out.

There are so many games I own from previous gens that I need to play, so it gives me a hell of a lot of time to wait for new stuff. I'm not the type that always needs the latest and greatest thing.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 am

Can't be fucked with getting into the argument since it's been done a thousand times but this is wrong:

Bluecast wrote: Won't get into a specs war as they are quite silly but while launch games may not wow us neither did launch 360 games. They looked like PS2 & Xbox games.

I remember being wowed by CoD2 for it's graphics along with others. Although they wasn't launch games Fight Night 3 and Dead Rising came out soon after and had amazing graphics. I see some trailer for Fight Night 3 only to be shocked when it said that it was all in game footage.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Kameo impressed many when it launched [some still see it as one of the best looking games this gen] But yeah Fight Night 3 was a very good looking game and i think it came out 3 months after the console?

The sheer amount of zombies on screen helped DR stand out and the main character models were impressive.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:23 pm

It just looked like an HD Original Xbox game which it pretty much was.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:13 pm

I'll agree, some early games just looked like HD PS2 games. Godfather I remember looking particularly bad. In some cases, I'm thinking Splinter Cell, they were almost two completely different games.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:25 pm

I distinctly-remember being blown away by the 360 when it came out. I also distinctly-remember feeling that the Wii's graphics were those of old console from the previous gen. I feel the same towards Wii U. Mildly more capable than what we've had for years, different controller.

When the latest GTA/Call of Duty/Big Name Franchise of Your Choosing fails to appear on PS3/360, we can say that this generation is ending. Let's have this topic in a couple years, when all the cards are on the table. Next Christmas we'll still be getting huge AAA games for our PS3s and 360s, for fuck sake!

Martin has received a thanks from: QWERTY
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Martin wrote:When the latest GTA/Call of Duty/Big Name Franchise of Your Choosing fails to appear on PS3/360, we can say that this generation is ending.

Man, I dunno. FIFA and Call of Duty still appear on PS2 :-k
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming