Netflix Facebook Nintendo TVii Blu ray?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

#1 reason I buy a console and care most about is (Total votes: 10)

Games
90%
Media apps
No votes
Social apps
10%
DVD/Bluray
No votes

Netflix Facebook Nintendo TVii Blu ray?

Postby Bluecast » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 am

Now it can be nice to have a console do other things but it seems anymore console makers want to sell you more how it does a bunch of shit your PC can and better.

So the question is what is the #1 reason you buy a console?

I don;t mind the media stuff but hate it on 360 because it wants me to pay what I either already have on my Roku at no extra cost or what I can do on my PC for free. I do like it plays DVD's as on occasion I have used it. Other than that it's 99.9% games for me.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Netflix Facebook Nintendo TVii Blu ray?

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:56 am

Games.

The Blu-ray PS3 made sense a few years back when stand alone players cost a fortune, so getting a great console that also plays Blu-ray disks did make sense back then. I'm generally not a fan of playing films on consoles though, to me, having the drive mechanism spinning constantly for that amount of time can't be good for it. I've no idea if it actually is any worse than playing games on it (which I sometimes do for a lot longer than a film lasts), I still don't like doing it though. Plus, even the crappiest £30 stand alone DVD player is more suited to the task than the 360 is anyway, especially since the remote control for it won't switch itself off and need switching back on when you want to pause or whatever. ;-)

The apps you get on XBL are a nice touch though, I don't use them, but I do like that it has that stuff.

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Bluecast
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:03 pm

In the 10 months I have had a PS3 I have yet to watch a movie on it. Just got regular DVDs anyway and like SEF I would rather not use the disc drive to watch movies. Save all of its lifespan for games.

The original Xbox I used a lot for DVDs until it started getting stupid. It would always have trouble reading DVDs and would be choppy and have slowdowns where the same DVD in the Pioneer DVD player would play it just fine. No problems playing games, just DVDs for some reason.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Sadly i can't remember the last time i really played on my PS3. Its nothing but a BD player for me right now.

I don't mind the apps but i buy a console for games.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Axm » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm

I use my PS3 for all my entertainment pretty much. Netflix, BD, DVD, Music in the house, I do picture and video slide shows when people come over cause I store alot of my HD content on there with its 500gb hdd. Ill rent an occational movie when I dont want to go to a redbox. Ill watch the youtube app. Ill stream stuff wirelessly from my PC like japanese tv shows and movies.
Honestly I think if the PS3 didnt play games at all id still be satisfied with paying the money for that hardware. The fact that I bought it originally for games and now its evolved into all the other stuff is pure value.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm

On my 360 when I wasn't gaming, I was playing movies on Netflix or music on LastFM. If I get a PS3, i'd use it as my Blu-Ray player cause there weren't alot of releases on it that wanted me to keep playing it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 am

I'd rather buy a Smart TV for apps and such. Enjoyed Netflix the most on PS3. Never used any of the catch-up TV services/Music Unlimited etc regularly or at all..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:13 am

I think web browsers and Netflix is the new can play DVD's feature. They just throw it in. 360 is late to the game and gimped that's IE and paid users. lol at paying for IE.

Now 3DS does Vita does PSP did,DS sorta did if you bought a shit version. Wii does..again now gimped since nothing runs on it anymore. Wii U now will but won't support flash. Nothing new there. Everyone is dropping flash. Browsing on vita was not too bad. 3DS is just ok but really slow. Now Nintendo adds Tvii. Ugh. They all have Netflix. I do use Ntflix on my PS3 as it's 1080P instead of the 720P on the Roku. Unless I get lazy. I also have to admit I dropped my DVD player gave it to my mom because of the PS3.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Return to General Gaming