Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: On 10/28/2002 Shenmue II was released in the U.S on the

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:33 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I didn't mind airing out the books. I found it pretty relaxing. L Trigger on hold, release for steps, QTE, hold L Trigger, then QTE spaz attack!

I liked it, also got to the point where i could just hold run and hit all the QTE's. Was funny spotting the other guy magically spawn from one table to the next.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Airing the books and lugging crates were not enjoyable tasks, but they weren't supposed to be. It was part of the story, teaching Ryo (and the player) the value of patience and investment/sacrifice if you want to get anywhere in life.

Of course a lot of people have no tolerance for this when they sit down to play a videogame, but Shenmue is more than a game. It's an experience, telling a tale that involves the player in ways that other designers wouldn't dare - forcing the player to share the hardship that Ryo endures, so that we know we've genuinely put in the work to earn our reward. We can't experience Ryo's sense of humble achievement if we don't go through it with him.

That probably sounds nuts to some, but when you place it in context with the overall character arc along which Ryo is expected to travel - a hasty young man, consumed by the desire to fight Lan Di, into a level headed, mature hero with a greater grasp of responsibility - it only fits that the player is expected to travel the same road of emotional development.

And that happens by not brushing off the less exhilarating and more frustrating parts of his journey.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 4 thanks from: Axm, nskachu, ShOzO MiZuKi, Who Really Cares?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby nskachu » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Couldn't have said this in better words
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Bluecast » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Still the point of playing a game to to escape real life so if I worked at a library or UPS then played Shenmue II..... :lol: I don't want the game to be tedious. I understand the point but it's decisions like that is why we have no SHenmue III and 7 Yakuza games :???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 am

That's okay, I hear sections of Shenmue III have been designed specifically to entice the lucrative UPS librarian market.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Previous

Return to Shenmue II