Nintendo and Sega discussing the future of Shenmue ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Nintendo and Sega discussing the future of Shenmue ?

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 am

MasterG wrote: Surprised by how uncultured people can be...

Can't blame us for doubting you or the reddit OP, can you? I cannot even begin to recount all the times we've been duped or misled in the past.

Hopefully, there is something substantial in regards to this rumor. But we have yet to confirm that the pic is really from the magazine or a fake.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 am

MasterG wrote: Wow, guys... Just seen this exciting news on the reddit....
please be true. I'll buy a console for this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... nmue_with/

Do you think there's a chance? :heart:

First of all, the image up there is not taken from any magazine, I'm afraid. Obviously, the Japanese there could not be written by any native speaker of Japanese, or rather, could be written by a machine translator, most likely. Still, it's possible to have been reproduced by someone who was trying kindly to convey the "news" to the fans worldwide.

So, I went out to check the magazine to find out if it really is the reproduction of an article from Brutus. But, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any article on Shenmue, nor Nintendo, in the current issue of Brutus which was released on Nov. 1st. It could be from a backnumber, but, oh well... :dunno:
Last edited by Kiyuu on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:29 am

MasterG wrote: Surprised by how uncultured people can be...

Enlighten us Dorian. Be our Walter Kronkite and Marshall Applewhite wrapped in one. Please. King Jaffe Joffer is not a patient man esp when Prince Akeem wants to party all the time in Beverly Hills. So walk 500 miled or walk 500 more. We didn't start the fire but it kept on burning. Why because It's as good as it gets with a few good men.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Superrayman3 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:13 am

I'm starting to get a little wary of this "news", I just checked out the profile of the user who posted that info on reddit and he's only been on the site for 2 days around the same time this whole thing started, normally I like to give users the benefit of the doubt but the fact that this guy has only been around long enough to post what he did is really starting to raise some red flags about this guy's honesty.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 am

Superrayman3 wrote: I'm starting to get a little wary of this "news", I just checked out the profile of the user who posted that info on reddit and he's only been on the site for 2 days around the same time this whole thing started, normally I like to give users the benefit of the doubt but the fact that this guy has only been around long enough to post what he did is really starting to raise some red flags about this guy's honesty.

Would not be the first time some ass has given fake news knowing it's fake around here. In fact we's all be millionaires if we had just 1$ for every time it has happened. Most famous of them is Reporter,Zao and Adam Doree
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:17 am

Busted! Exposed!

Never underestimate the Shenmue Dojo!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:24 am

QWERTY™ wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Maybe so with a Wii, but I can hardly see the Wii-U having the same impact. The main appeal of the Wii was that... "non-gamers" (mums, grandparents, etc.) don't like controllers, so the motion control system worked for them. Replace that with a controller that has a touch screen though, and the fact that it has a screen doesn't change the fact that it's a controller, so they're less likely to want to buy it.

Er, not sure about that. Tablets and smart phones are fucking huge, with everyone. Ninty have pulled off another inspired plan with this console imo, they're riding on the crest of the wave of touchscreen technology before Sony and Microsoft and you can be sure both of those companies will follow suit just like the way they did with Kinect and Move.

The thing is you can do most of that stuff with the PS3/Vita and 360 smartglass and you can do them now.

Still if Sega bought back Shenmue they would be fools to limit it to one console and yes Nintendo bought Bayonetta 2 but we don't know how that will do? Could fall flat on its arse.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 am

Who Really Cares? wrote:
QWERTY™ wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Maybe so with a Wii, but I can hardly see the Wii-U having the same impact. The main appeal of the Wii was that... "non-gamers" (mums, grandparents, etc.) don't like controllers, so the motion control system worked for them. Replace that with a controller that has a touch screen though, and the fact that it has a screen doesn't change the fact that it's a controller, so they're less likely to want to buy it.

Er, not sure about that. Tablets and smart phones are fucking huge, with everyone. Ninty have pulled off another inspired plan with this console imo, they're riding on the crest of the wave of touchscreen technology before Sony and Microsoft and you can be sure both of those companies will follow suit just like the way they did with Kinect and Move.

The thing is you can do most of that stuff with the PS3/Vita and 360 smartglass and you can do them now.

Still if Sega bought back Shenmue they would be fools to limit it to one console and yes Nintendo bought Bayonetta 2 but we don't know how that will do? Could fall flat on its arse.

But Wii U ships with that controller out of the box with every system and every game designed to use it. That controller is designed solely for the console. Many people including me on android devices Smartglass doesn't work. 65 million PS3 out there 2 million Vita. Like Vita has two analog sticks right now. 3DS has the add on but most games are not going to use it. Also Smart glass is not a controller. Things always work better when that is it's selling point not a me too tack on.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 am

Used to bogus info these days. Could still possibly happen in the future, but we will just have to keep on waiting.

UPDATE - there seems to be some confusion about the magazine issue this may have appeared in, but guess it can still be open for discussion/investigation.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks Pete

the reddit user "mattew9" was asked what issue this was in and he replied today that it was issue no.741, dated 15/10/12.

Kiyuu looked at a Nov 1st issue, I wonder if that was issue 742, and this is a bi-monthly mag?

Or, mattew9/masterG is prolonging this prank even after he's theoretically been busted....there's no way that scan, as Kiyuu pointed out, is completely legitimate, unless it was just an online translation slapped over the real print (which makes no sense).

It just surprises me...a tiny little bit...that someone who actually make a some what considerable effort to fuck with such a niche group of people (English speaking Shenmue fans). Unless it is someone who used to post here and holds a grudge.

Get a life people.

Still, the notion of Nintendo/Sega teaming up for Shenmue is a viable one, with Bayonetta II and all. Still interesting to ponder.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby nskachu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Yeah that's true. Is the source reliable? Do you know Eternaldragon's video? He had a british magazine with a big list of games being released soon. one of those games was shenmue 1&2 HD. So I think the roumours are true. maybe theres a shenmue 3 in one of the next winters hehe. But there were already many similar stories of a friend of a friend of a platypus in mexico that works for sega japan... Well, I just hope it's just like in my dream of last night where shenmue was in a commercial.

A fashion magazine... is it at least very famous? or is it just a newsletter made by people who do it just for fun.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Thats what annoys me about all this. Japanese love their gadgets and cameras on cell phones are as common over there as anywhere else, so why not just take a quick snap and upload it. Whats with this digitalized image of Joy that we have? It just doesnt add up. Hopefully we can get some answers sooner rather than later.

I hope i am wrong, but this is still BS to me.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:43 pm

The fact that not a single gaming site picked this up makes me think its BS.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

The image itself bears many signs that suggest photoshopping, which alone makes it seem like a lame hoax. But I'm glad the thread was unlocked, as this is quite fun to discuss and dissect, even in the likely event that it leads nowhere.

Lan Di-sama wrote:the reddit user "mattew9" was asked what issue this was in and he replied today that it was issue no.741, dated 15/10/12.

Kiyuu looked at a Nov 1st issue, I wonder if that was issue 742, and this is a bi-monthly mag?

Yes, there seems to be a new issue every two weeks: Back issue order page

nskachu wrote:A fashion magazine... is it at least very famous? or is it just a newsletter made by people who do it just for fun.

I referred earlier to the Wikipedia entry, which (albeit not the most reliable source in the world) describes it as a "well-respected" and "popular" magazine, and gives a circulation figure if you're able to compare that with anything. As far as it being a fashion magazine, going by some of the example pages I've seen, it's not just about fashion. A western frame of reference might be GQ, in terms of style and content.

Who Really Cares? wrote:The fact that not a single gaming site picked this up makes me think its BS.

Is any gaming site aware of it yet? Has anyone asked them to look into it?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADPU5SQ-bA[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III