Nintendo and Sega discussing the future of Shenmue ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby mue 26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes, there seems to be a new issue every two weeks: Back issue order page

Wait! So in Japan these mags are going for 680 yen or so, google informs me this is the equivalent of about £5...yet that British website I linked to earlier was selling it for £15!!! Unscrupulous!

Sorry, but all this talk about Brutus has me really wanting to start buying it :lol:. As Master"G" has already pointed out, I may need to become more cultured, and what better place is there to start than with reading Brutus! I already feel more cultured after merely reading some of the previews! I can't wait to invite someone round to my house and very deliberately leave a copy of Brutus lying very visibly on my coffee table, it can't fail to impress, it's even in a foreign language! And just in case that doesn't have my house guest thoroughly in awe of my culture, I'll be having a copy on Monocle magazine lying in wait next to my toilet for when my guest enters the bathroom. Boom.

Ahem, as for Shenmue, well the only thing that gives me hope, is that to base a prank on Shenmue fans around the story of having read an article in Brutus....well, it's kind of bizzare, and not what one would first think of when plotting an effective prank on us. And he is specific with the issue number too, so we should be able to check this theoretically, thus it's a bit of lame prank, right? Though, perhaps Master"G" is really a master, a master a pranks that is, and he is pulling the ol double bluff on us, making us think that it's too lame and weird to be a prank, and thus actually being an ingenious prank. Maybe he thinks one of us will pay £15 for an issue :-k
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Nintendo and Sega discussing the future of Shenmue ?

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Don't hope. Bash a human being.

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yokosuka Martian
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Superrayman3 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 am

Hope someone can get the issue in question, so we can debunk this rumor as fact or hoax once and for all (please let it be true).
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby ys » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

My first gut reaction : Holy fucking crap!
Second reaction a second later : Hmm, right, this is probably fake as usual.
Then I wondered about read Kiyuu's post regarding the level of Japanese and some of the other comments. And all was normal again in the world.

By the way, Brutus as a name for a fashion magazine is hilarious.

ys has received a thanks from: wude
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Wow, I dunno if I'm just horrible at Japanese or is that Japanese nearly indecipherable. Doesn't look native. Hmmm.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:the reddit user "mattew9" was asked what issue this was in and he replied today that it was issue no.741, dated 15/10/12.

Kiyuu looked at a Nov 1st issue, I wonder if that was issue 742, and this is a bi-monthly mag?

Yes, BRUTUS comes out bi-monthly, and it's not really a fashion magazine, though they publish "fashion issue" twice a year. Actually, the one I've checked out was #743 dated Nov. 15, though it hit the shelves on Nov. 1st.

Now, I went back to the book store where they carry some backnumbers as well, and checked out #741 page by page. (It's dated Oct. 15, but actually hit the shelves on Oct. 1st.) The only game name I found in it was "Biohazard 6" in its full-page ad. No Nintendo, no Shenmue, once again...

Lan Di-sama wrote:Or, mattew9/masterG is prolonging this prank even after he's theoretically been busted....there's no way that scan, as Kiyuu pointed out, is completely legitimate, unless it was just an online translation slapped over the real print (which makes no sense).

That's right. It makes no sense at all. If there really is an article in Japanese, how come they bother to translate it into English first and translate it back into Japanese by machine? Did they think no one would notice that is not the original article? :???:

Kiyuu has received 5 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, mue 26, Peter, Schiff, Who Really Cares?
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:39 pm

So its bogus. Id trust Kiyuu over someone on Reddit, or a new member who signed up to this site. Good mind to ban the account right now. :???:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Well done Kiyuu.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote:the reddit user "mattew9" was asked what issue this was in and he replied today that it was issue no.741, dated 15/10/12.

Kiyuu looked at a Nov 1st issue, I wonder if that was issue 742, and this is a bi-monthly mag?

Yes, BRUTUS comes out bi-monthly, and it's not really a fashion magazine, though they publish "fashion issue" twice a year. Actually, the one I've checked out was #743 dated Nov. 15, though it hit the shelves on Nov. 1st.

Now, I went back to the book store where they carry some backnumbers as well, and checked out #741 page by page. (It's dated Oct. 15, but actually hit the shelves on Oct. 1st.) The only game name I found in it was "Biohazard 6" in its full-page ad. No Nintendo, no Shenmue, once again...

Lan Di-sama wrote:Or, mattew9/masterG is prolonging this prank even after he's theoretically been busted....there's no way that scan, as Kiyuu pointed out, is completely legitimate, unless it was just an online translation slapped over the real print (which makes no sense).

That's right. It makes no sense at all. If there really is an article in Japanese, how come they bother to translate it into English first and translate it back into Japanese by machine? Did they think no one would notice that is not the original article? :???:

That all but confirms this is bogus :(

Then again, it's the issue between 741 and 743 that makes the most sense if you look at the Table of Contents and the page number of the (fake) scan. Kiyuu, can you go check 742...? Hahaha, just kidding - you've done enough!! Thanks for investigating.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 pm

It was evident from the start that this was fake, I'd think if it had any merit it'd be all over the BBS in Japan.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: It was evident from the start that this was fake

If only you'd imparted your wisdom a little sooner, you could have saved Kiyuu some time!

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:33 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: It was evident from the start that this was fake, I'd think if it had any merit it'd be all over the BBS in Japan.

Yeah, the BBS that no one's posted in since '09.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:44 pm

:cry: Miss BBS
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: It was evident from the start that this was fake, I'd think if it had any merit it'd be all over the BBS in Japan.

Yeah, the BBS that no one's posted in since '09.

Shenmue III would revive it. With Ryo's magic and all.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

That's some serious diligence there! Thanks!

Another case closed. And no one had to pay £15 for a magazine either. =D>
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III