XBox mag: Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

XBox mag: Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:28 am

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. Everyone likes to think that they want to return to the bygone, halcyon days when all this were fields (they weren’t) and life was good (it wasn’t, you were just too young/stupid/ignorant), but the fact is that returning to most nostalgic loves rarely works out well. We hate ourselves for downloading Game Room.

Some works however survive unscathed, and seem to get better with age. Super Mario Bros 3, for example. Sensible Soccer. And yes, Shenmue II, despite its flaws.

Flaws like the shoddy camera, and Ryo controlling like he’s recently suffered a spinal injury, and the dialogue (and dub in the Xbox version) being generally poor. But even these flaws can’t stop Shenmue II being great: any game that cuts you loose in Hong Kong and Kowloon to peruse at your leisure, to wrap yourself in all of the incidental details, to marvel at the architecture and get lost in an amazing adventure (in the purest sense of the word) is obviously brilliant.

It’s a great game that many on Team X360 play every year, akin to watching Indiana Jones at Christmas: warm and fuzzies all round, dusting off books and getting into underground pit-fighting rings. Beautiful.

But do we need a sequel? The answer for many is, obviously, yes, but aren’t they worried that it’ll all go a bit The Godfather Part III? Granted, that was transparently a cash-in, a money grab, and Shenmue III was always planned as a sweeping, multi-part epic. However, can Yu Suzuki possibly deliver a sequel that has been building, unfurling in people’s minds since 2001? Can even his talents produce something that could come close to matching expectations?

We’d wager not, if only because there’s a certain romantic appeal to Sega strangling the series before it played out, of a lost chapter that we’d have to imagine ourselves from the few crumbs of info available. Making another instalment that will probably run counter to these unrealistic dreams rarely works out well.

Just ask George Lucas.

http://www.x360magazine.com/general/why ... -iii-is-a- ad-idea/

Bit silly to compare Shenmue III to the stuff in Gameroom which focused on 80's gaming.

But if they released it and it controlled like it did in the originals it would flop hard, They need to add analog control for one thing.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: XBox mag: Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 am

It always frustrates me when people say Shenmue III shouldn't be made in case it doesn't live up to the originals. I mean, Christ. Are these same people afraid to cross the road? We'd never get anything done if we just played it safe to preserve the unchallenged and unproven image of how it "could" have gone in our minds. Shenmue itself would never have been made, for a start. Yu Suzuki would be talking about this epic open world adventure that "would" have captured the imaginations of gamers around the world, and we'd be saying, "Yeah, sure. Suppose you're going to tell us it would have been better than Crash Bandicoot 17? (Hope they don't make a Crash 18... Leave the memories alone!)"

Let's Get Sweaty has received 5 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, mue 26, Rakim, Yama
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 am

I'm usually polite, and rarely use disgraceful language, but
what a goddamn fucking douche.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 am

Fuck Xbox mag. No one reads console mags anymore and dying off so they write whit like this to get attention.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:31 am

Well they do have an audience, like aspiring young critic Mavin here.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Well they do have an audience, like aspiring young critic Mavin here.

I don't like it but Print media is dead. One by one they are all going digital. From big time newspapers to bigtime much more well known mags to smaller ones. Subs for print media are falling by the thousands each day and the hundreds of thousands each year. Only a matter of a short time before Xbox Mag is digital as well. So not unheard of they try and get some attention. They hope to raise a few eye brows on a cult series on the site then maybe grab a few subs.

I love gaming mags why I still have a bunch from the early 90's to 2010. Just these days many of them are desperate. Sad thing is the shittiest one Game Informer will be here for much longer than any of them. Even when it goes digital the website will be for "insiders" only in other words paid members like ESPN.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 am

There are so many anti-Shenmue blasphemers, like this guy:

I think we need an Inquisition.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 am

KiBa wrote: There are so many anti-Shenmue blasphemers, like this guy:

I think we need an Inquisition.

Dude erase that link it contains malware
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 am

Never mind that, its a flame/troll topic from a defunct forum in 2009.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mue 26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: It always frustrates me when people say Shenmue III shouldn't be made in case it doesn't live up to the originals. I mean, Christ. Are these same people afraid to cross the road? We'd never get anything done if we just played it safe to preserve the unchallenged and unproven image of how it "could" have gone in our minds. Shenmue itself would never have been made, for a start. Yu Suzuki would be talking about this epic open world adventure that "would" have captured the imaginations of gamers around the world, and we'd be saying, "Yeah, sure. Suppose you're going to tell us it would have been better than Crash Bandicoot 17? (Hope they don't make a Crash 18... Leave the memories alone!)"

Yeah, this is my viewpoint too. I never quite get it when people get all worked up about sequels or remakes of old films, and are like "don't ruin my memories!". How does making a shitty sequel or remake- no matter how shitty it is- soil the good memories of the original? I mean, yeah the remake of The Thing was a load of poo, but did it in any way affect my love of the original? no. How possibly could it? And for this reason, I really don't care either way if there's a Blade Runner sequel, or a Star wars 7, or an Akira live action movie (even if it's set set in New York!) or whatever. I'll just take it on it's own merits, and who knows there is a slight chance it could actually be good, or so bad it'll be funny, so why not?

I do kind of get the writers point about a certain romantic aspect of the series ending as it did on a high in S2 (I've even heard it called "fitting" as Yu's last game, since Yu was the arcade master who always left us wanting more and wising we had more coins :) ). But at the same time, it's just as agonizing as it is romantic, as Shenmue did have a planned conclusion, it's all been written from the outset, and even probably put into some stage of development (hence those brief demos of that mysterious women in the hat, who we desperately wish we knew more about!). I really don't think any sequel could be as annoying as a life time wondering just what Yu had planned, but was never able to give to us. Eff all this cautious nonsense, you get nothing being cautious.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 am

Ryudo wrote: Fuck Xbox mag. No one reads console mags anymore and dying off so they write whit like this to get attention.

This article was actually posted March last year and 2 mags/newspapers still sell well over here.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 pm

If they released Shenmue III and it was more or less exactly like the original games with only better graphics it would be a bad idea. Still love the games but no one can say the controls don't need up dating.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:
Ryudo wrote: Fuck Xbox mag. No one reads console mags anymore and dying off so they write whit like this to get attention.

This article was actually posted March last year and 2 mags/newspapers still sell well over here.

ALL Print media is losing subs and hurting it will be soon before those drop as well. It's inevitable. Like or not that is a fact. All print media is dying off. I hate it as I prefer print media. IMO in 5 years time I best less than 5% of content will be on print media. Also why post a article from over a year ago? Esp one just to piss a few cult gamers off?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

1 i only noticed it was that old today and 2 its someone's opinion on the series so i shared it[once].
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Shenmue III