Is technology our Umbilical cord? To wired for our own good?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Is technology our Umbilical cord? To wired for our own good?

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 am

http://video.pbs.org/video/1402987791/

BTW this is on Netflix as well. Frontline Digital Nation.

Can you survive your daily life without the internet or a phone? How often do you interact with friends and family while in the same room?

Please watch the doc.

One thing in the video bugs me that is a sad truth. People are often in the same room but in different worlds. I know I have an addiction to the internet and technology. I love it. I consume it. Like that ep in parks and rec where he makes the paper phone. I remember over a year ago in church two people texting while a lesson was being taught. Very disrespectful. Theaters annoying as hell. Now I have my phone off at a movie. Even if I have my laptop or tablet with me when at my friends or moms. I talk to them much more than I browse online. I hate being in the same room with a person but not talking to them. When I was working it pissed me off I would bust my ass rain snow or sunshine getting those carts off the lot then a co worker would be texting half the fucking time. Do a half assed job then hand me the vest leaving me with a mess. Tech can be amazing. My PC is next to m chair where I sleep. Like I said I am guilty of being wired to it. I still miss my fave channel tech TV. Still I feel it's so misused. My brother only lets his kids have the most basic of phones and only for emergencies.

The people I know that are not are usually older. My best friend that I go to games with is in his 50's and has and old PC and a CRT and cable. As high tech as he gets. My brother while he has an ipad and imac the ipad is issued to him from his work. He uses the PC for photo editing for his job but other than that is an email machine. He refuses to use skype despite my mom begging him to so she can talk to the grandkids face to face.

My mom is one of those who thinks any button on the remote will blow the place up. At the same time uses skype.tablet Roku laptop. Far from addicted tho. Very light user.

Are you too addicted to tech? If not I applaud you.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Is technology our Umbilical cord? To wired for our own g

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 am

Essential for work, non-essential for life, plays a big part in leisurely activities... When I'm on a night out I intentionally run down the battery to escape the one-per-minute texts from the missus. At the end of the day, most of our creations are considered technology. We made em, why not use em? It'd be pointless not to, and it isn't a crime or owt. If anything, we're just following our natural evolutionary path.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Both good points above (and "one per minute" texting, HATE that), I think I am in the "umbilical" category. I used to have a really basic phone and it was fine (still miss it sometimes), but now with a smartphone, I'm even worse than I was before. A lot gets said against Wikipedia, but for simple "Is xxxxx (celeb) dead?" or "How much power did the first xxxx (car/motorbike model) have?" type queries, it's just fine. I probably need to have less of these ultimately pointless types of question festering away in my head so much of the time, but it's a symptom, because I know how easy it is to get an answer, I'll want it as quick as possible. Back home, with the laptop, when the internet goes down, I do find it annoying, so I think there probably is some type of underlying addiction issue there.

That said, for work stuff, unless it's an official instruction or a proper document, I'd rather tell people the answer than do it by e-mail, most of the time.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Just had to post. Couldn't hold it anymore. I was suffocating.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spokane » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm

KiBa wrote: Just had to post. Couldn't hold it anymore. I was suffocating.
I put a clamp on your umbilical cord to see how long you could survive. When you turned deep purple I decided to show some mercy.

Spokane has received a thanks from: KiBa
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 pm

If you want to use technology just use it. The only point it is a problem is when people stop seeing friends to play WoW online or when your having a meal with someone and they won't stop looking at their phone.

I could easily get by without most of the tech I use as most of it is just something I use when I'm bored. Other then calling and texting I only use the other things like music and apps when I'm bored. I've only had a smartphone for about 2 years and I got by pretty fine before that.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Who Really Cares?, Yokosuka Martian
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Riku Rose wrote: If you want to use technology just use it. The only point it is a problem is when people stop seeing friends to play WoW online or when your having a meal with someone and they won't stop looking at their phone.

I could easily get by without most of the tech I use as most of it is just something I use when I'm bored. Other then calling and texting I only use the other things like music and apps when I'm bored. I've only had a smartphone for about 2 years and I got by pretty fine before that.

Yet you buy a new iphone every year
Last edited by Bluecast on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Watched that whole thing. It was pretty interesting. But I think its a task most of us humans can undertake and still have a job and be sociable and successful. Infact new technology allows to do all those things in new and different ways.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: If you want to use technology just use it. The only point it is a problem is when people stop seeing friends to play WoW online or when your having a meal with someone and they won't stop looking at their phone.

Yet you buy a new iphone every year

I've bought 2 out of the 5 released. Only upgraded because I never had enough memory. Not everyone who owns an iPhone buys a new one every year as shocking as that may sound.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Spokane » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 pm

My dad got a 4S and only because he was able to sell his 3S for $70 and it was on sale. The 3S was his first one. Never had any problems with either. And we have At&T anyway even if he wouldn't have one.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Bluecast » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 am

Had the same phone for over a year. Mom had hers for 4 years. It makes phone calls that''s all they need to do. Everyone is is a toy. Tablet is fun and great but really a giant smartphone without the phone. But I do in skype and google voice,. So smartphones are not really needed. Phones are for phone calls.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 am

I hate all this "a phone should just be a phone" shit. Yeah, how awful is it that we live in an age where we can get things done on a bus instead of eating into valuable work or personal time? Fuck me, if phones were just phones and I was at an away match, I'd have to take a phone, pager, radio, and GPS device or look even more like a pleb and buy a map. Things evolve for a reason.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: I hate all this "a phone should just be a phone" shit. Yeah, how awful is it that we live in an age where we can get things done on a bus instead of eating into valuable work or personal time? Fuck me, if phones were just phones and I was at an away match, I'd have to take a phone, pager, radio, and GPS device or look even more like a pleb and buy a map. Things evolve for a reason.

Then don't call it a phone anymore. Calling it a phone implies it's main purpose and the reason you bough it is to make phone calls. Sounds like it's a MP3 player and PDA :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 am

Then why call a games console a games console when you can use it to play DVDs, browse the internet, stream TV shows, play CDs, send messages to friends, access social networks, etc., etc.?

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Then why call a games console a games console when you can use it to play DVDs, browse the internet, stream TV shows, play CDs, send messages to friends, access social networks, etc., etc.?

Game consoles are bought for gaming first and formost and always have been and always will. Like I said I can use my 7 inch tablet as a phone with no cost but somehow is not a phone. Smartphones are mini tablets.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to Off Topic