Never Forget About Shenmue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Never Forget About Shenmue

Postby IAmNotABot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Wow, I'm absolutely beside myself by the responses! Thank you all for your kind words and I'm so pleased to see that I've inspired RyoHazuki84 to talk about his own experiences!

The article came about from a frustration, one that few people acknowledge that the two games were a gift, and have merits that are rarely articulated. When I do notice people discussing Shenmue I always hear or read things along the lines of: 'The game was alright, the forklift driving was the best bit' or, 'Where is the gameplay?' etc.

So I wanted to speak up about what Shenmue really offers and wanted to do everything I could to do it justice. I worked on this article for five days and struggled to keep the content under 2,000 words and had to cut entire paragraphs to tighten the pacing. It took me five days to condense my viewpoint as concisely as possible, so everything posted here means an awful lot to me!

I'm definitely interested in tackling Shenmue II, but first I need to play through the entire game again to completely refresh my memory. I still have my Dreamcast hooked-up and Shenmue II in its frayed-as-all-hell sleeve. I need to find a unique angle that tells a different story to justify writing this, but I'm certainly up to the task.

Special mention to Ziming for his/her incredible dedication and the promotion of my piece!

Cheers all!

IAmNotABot has received 5 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, MiTT3NZ, Rakim, RyoHazuki84, Ziming
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Street Fighter 3rd Strike

Postby Ziming » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Some feedback from your article on Facebook:

Cory McDonald: Absolutely wonderful....this guy gets what made Shenmue such a great game...and a classic.

Paul Smith: I mean sure some people do hate this game,I can understand where their coming from,But to me its a Classic,I just wish that Sega will finally give YU the Green Light to finally make Shenmue 3.I truly believe that if it was released on the Ps3 & all the other Consoles,That it will sell Great!I mean not too many people had a Dreamcast or a regular Xbox,But Most people today either have a Ps3,360 or both like i do

Matt Oliver: Such a great article. The potential is there this generation if they market n promote properly. The HD releases are are start. Hell who apart from hardcore gamers had heard of nights into dreams?? That got a remake. More people know what shenmue is

Ziming has received a thanks from: IAmNotABot
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 am

IAmNotABot wrote: Wow, I'm absolutely beside myself by the responses! Thank you all for your kind words and I'm so pleased to see that I've inspired RyoHazuki84 to talk about his own experiences!

The article came about from a frustration, one that few people acknowledge that the two games were a gift, and have merits that are rarely articulated. When I do notice people discussing Shenmue I always hear or read things along the lines of: 'The game was alright, the forklift driving was the best bit' or, 'Where is the gameplay?' etc.

So I wanted to speak up about what Shenmue really offers and wanted to do everything I could to do it justice. I worked on this article for five days and struggled to keep the content under 2,000 words and had to cut entire paragraphs to tighten the pacing. It took me five days to condense my viewpoint as concisely as possible, so everything posted here means an awful lot to me!

I'm definitely interested in tackling Shenmue II, but first I need to play through the entire game again to completely refresh my memory. I still have my Dreamcast hooked-up and Shenmue II in its frayed-as-all-hell sleeve. I need to find a unique angle that tells a different story to justify writing this, but I'm certainly up to the task.

Special mention to Ziming for his/her incredible dedication and the promotion of my piece!

Cheers all!

It is because of guys like you and the guys here are why I don't feel alone in this particular struggle as everyone here may or may not feel. I can't believe you put a lot of hard work into this article and I thought it just came naturally to you. Regardless, you did a great job speaking for all fans whether registered to the dojo or not in expressing our undying passion.

I look forward to your future articles whether they are Shenmue related or not. But seeing you do Shenmue 2, it will be a treat no matter how much work put into it.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby IAmNotABot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:02 pm

No article with any polish comes naturally to any writer, in my opinion. The trick is to find a narrative flow that appears effortless even if that is actually a great lie. It doesn't help that this was by far my most challenging piece to date.

I'm thinking of posting this somewhere where the posters might be more contentious about Shenmue, like the NeoGAF forums or something. It could be a bloodbath.

I'm intending on topping my Shenmue piece for the sequel, but it won't happen for a little while yet. I won't even begin until I've completed the game again. If I manage to write an article and not a dissertation then I've succeeded, haha!

Seriously, thanks for taking an interest - this is what makes writing totally worthwhile.
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby KiBa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Very good. I think some QTE's were better than others, but one of the best parts of the game was that amazing QTE escape in Kowloon with Ren. That is still probably the most cinematic experience in any game I've ever played.

KiBa has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Fenix » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

KiBa wrote: Very good. I think some QTE's were better than others, but one of the best parts of the game was that amazing QTE escape in Kowloon with Ren. That is still probably the most cinematic experience in any game I've ever played.

Yeah, and don't forget the final strike to Dou Niu.
Oh my god, I jumped from the chair watching it at first time saying "GAIMOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN CHOCHUUUUU!!!!!" :rotflmao:

I was only 16 :lol:

I still remember it as the most epic strike in my videogame history.

Fenix has received 2 thanks from: mue 26, ThyDarkAngel
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Anyway, I hope to do a follow up video by the end of the holiday season.
RyoHazuki84

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Fenix wrote:
KiBa wrote: Very good. I think some QTE's were better than others, but one of the best parts of the game was that amazing QTE escape in Kowloon with Ren. That is still probably the most cinematic experience in any game I've ever played.

Oh my god, I jumped from the chair watching it at first time saying "GAIMOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN CHOCHUUUUU!!!!!" :rotflmao:

Oh man, It's been so long since I've played Shenmue 2. Now that I see that picture, that's a proper traditional Bajiquan move Ryo is doing there. Haha.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6v6saJcUaQ[/youtube]

Go to 2.32

Gah, all Baji people love that move. It is pretty good move though.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Fenix
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fenix » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Ryo know some moves that are from Bajiquan.

I think he has even 2 throw moves based in Baji techniques.

In my opinion, Hazuki Style is some mix of Jiu Jitsu and Bajiquan. And the Baji part was introduced by Iwao when he was in China.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby lavrentis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:45 am

Fenix wrote:

The stare Ryo gives Lan Di after the fight with Dou Niu is probably my favourite cutscene ever in video games.

Visually and emotionally spectacular.

lavrentis has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, ThyDarkAngel
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm

This topic is making me feel all fuzzy inside.

You guys really get it.

And so many memories...
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Luvly KM » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 am

This sentence:

It’s 10pm, and Ryo is walking home, crunching through the freshly laid snow after taking the bus back to town from work.

Is mindblowing.

It seems so 'un-gameish' and yet it is those exact moments why we love Shenmue. The simple essence of walking home in a videogame (from work no less!!!) is mindblowing. Every Night, As we pass by the neon lit arcade, the sushi bar on the left and the wintery park on the right - Those numbing walks home are what bind us to the fiction and immerse us even further.

magical memories. that we all share
Last edited by Luvly KM on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luvly KM has received 4 thanks from: IAmNotABot, MiTT3NZ, mue 26, ThyDarkAngel
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby IAmNotABot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 am

:-)

I normally go straight ahead at the intersection past the arcade. I always liked to amble into the Tomato convenience store on the way back and attempt to win the Sega Saturn ports of Hang On and Space Harrier at the raffle.

I'm chuffed that you singled out a sentence from my favorite paragraph, as to me that was the crux of my piece.

(Is that Katie Melua as your avatar I see?)

IAmNotABot has received a thanks from: Luvly KM
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 pm

nice job dude!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff