Never Forget About Shenmue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Never Forget About Shenmue

Postby IAmNotABot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Guys!

I've written an article about Shenmue at http://newbreview.com/?p=21991 that you guys and gals may be interested in.

I'm really interested in what you guys think as there'll obviously be some tough customers - I'd greatly appreciate any praise or criticism.

I realise that this post could be construed as 'plugging' but you have to admire my audacity at least, right?

Right? :-"

IAmNotABot has received 7 thanks from: Axm, KiBa, Let's Get Sweaty, MiTT3NZ, Rakim, ThyDarkAngel, Ziming
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Street Fighter 3rd Strike

Re: Never Forget About Shenmue

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Really good article. Written very well. I don't really agree with the QTE opinion personally. I think in Games like "Dragon's lair" they were the main game mechanics, but in Shenmue i always found them unfitting and especially the ones during or after a fight were pretty unfair and frustrating. Sucks if you spent 10 minutes to beat up dou niu and then got screwed by the QTE. Well in Shenmue 1 it was a bit less annoying as there were fewer, but still i never found them appropriate or well-implemented.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I always thought that Dou Niu was one of the easier "bosses" in the games, so I never really cared too much.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

I found him rather easy to defeat with the "dodge and attack" tactics, but sucks when i had to fight him like 5 times because i failed the QTE 4 times.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:13 pm

lol, innit. I never quite got my head around the Freeze-QTEs. Did you wait for the command to end before inputting, or did you have to do it as it went along? It always seemed like pure luck with me. Either way, we need to figure it out.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby IAmNotABot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Thank you very much!

I used to word tolerable, so I do agree with you on some points. I think AM2 had some strong cinematic ambition and wanted the player to be involved in things not possible under player control.

Now if Platinum Games had a shot at Shenmue 3 I could imagine a lot of the scenes working with full player control, and the thought is kind of blowing my mind! The thing is, I think QTE was built from design/hardware limitations.

I still think the QTE's had their moments though. I thought the motorcycle chase was just insane back in 2000 and I love the sound cue when you press the right button. It just feels good y'know!
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Street Fighter 3rd Strike

Postby mue 26 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:56 pm

It's a cracking article, chap! Very much pins down what the heart of Shenmue is all about. I especially agree with this last paragraph:

Home is where the heart of this often misunderstood game resides. Ryo can always regroup there and indulge in creature comforts after a rough day, he’ll have his friends and Nozomi to look out for him and a close-knit community besides, and a sense of familiarity. So when Ryo decides to depart for the sprawling, savage garden of Hong Kong, as a player living through Ryo’s experiences through the mundane and the extraordinary, you will never feel further from home.

I also agree that Shenmue's QTE's are some of the most tolerable, and dare I say even enjoyable on ocassion.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:55 am

A fantastic write up. I've since shared it with fans who follow our Facebook and Twitter page.

Ziming has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Rakim » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:08 am

Good article. Made me re-appreciate some things I might have been taking for granted about the first game. I still say S2 is better, though. Do a write-up on that game.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:24 am

Superb article. More than any other I've read, I think yours truly explains the appeal of Shenmue to people who may not understand. You've acknowledged the mirth and minor criticisms it invites without giving in to any perceived peer pressure to make fun of it yourself. A lot of superficially supportive retrospectives take the low road of "Shenmue was a masterpiece but yeah lol sailors and boring (see I'm no acolyte honest)," coming across as apologetic and ashamed of their guilty pleasure. Your article defiantly demonstrates that the game's quirks summon no guilt when appreciated in their full, genuine context. Bravo.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 am

The article sums up a significant fraction on why I love this series as well as my fellow fans on this respective forum. I proudly do own 2 copies of the game; a Japanese and American. If I had connections, I would write an article myself on why Shenmue is such an important game to me personally and to the industry as a whole.

I agree. Do a follow up with Shenmue 2 and also emphasize why SEGA needs to finish this series.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:44 am

This is the kind of article that warms my heart.
Good you shared it.
Stick around, please.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Fun read, thank you for sharing.

As for QTEs - I don't think they are too unforgiving in the slightest. The ONLY ones that were a bit outrageous were the final 2 planks in Ghost Hall (trial and error, and now, the notes I jotted down 10 years ago and still retained helped me get through that part) and the Dou Niu one is challenging, only because they are quick and you have to fight him again. But even the Baihu fight, which contained the QTE sequence at the end of the second round, is forgiving enough in the sense you don't have to start the fight over if you fail the sequence.

And the level of difficulty of the first game's QTE is laughable at best. It only uses 2 buttons! Still, immensely satisfying, especially the chase QTE at the end of Disc 2 and the motorcycle QTE in Disc 3.

As far as upping the difficulty and level of action, Shenmue II did everything right when it comes to improving the formula to make a quicker paced game (despite the slow start). What I didn't like was the de-emphasis on learning moves (from other than Xuiying) and actually being able to practice, and improve. In addition, the gimmicks with buying and selling Zippo lighters and capsule toys was rather silly. Still an endearing touch.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 am

Hi Jason. Your article inspired me to make this video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsR_V6Q9LFo[/youtube]

edit-fucked up the link earlier
Last edited by RyoHazuki84 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyoHazuki84

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: lol, innit. I never quite got my head around the Freeze-QTEs. Did you wait for the command to end before inputting, or did you have to do it as it went along? It always seemed like pure luck with me. Either way, we need to figure it out.

Depends on the QTE. Some you can watch the command then copy others like the last one in the Don fight and jumping the last set of rocks with Shenhua have to be done as it went along.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Next

Return to Shenmue