What tablet/e-reader do you use? Reviews/thoughts?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

What tablet/e-reader do you use? Reviews/thoughts?

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm considering caving and finally purchasing an e-reader. While I don't like how technology is replacing pretty much everything, and turning luxuries into supposed necessities, I do think I'd benefit from an e-reader or tablet. For one thing, there are tons of free books out there (and illegal means to get new books...). I know I'd likely read more often and I'd certainly read more on the bus and when I'm traveling, as I often have to forgo packing books for space limits.

Just wondering what all you techy folk think about the current offerings out there. A simple e-reader like a Kindle is less than $100, but I have my eye on the HD Kindle Fire for $199. I definitely don't want to spend more than that. I feel guilty enough entertaining this idea when it should be the season of giving to others. Definitely don't want an Ipad. Hell, I still don't have a smart phone and by getting a tablet I can probably delay that even longer.

I'm not too concerned about space, I still have my laptop (albeit crappy) and a USB external port for internal hard drives. I'm doing some basic research now, but am a bit ignorant. From what I understand, as long as a tablet has Wi-Fi I don't have to pay a subscription fee, although for 3G or 4G service (i.e. connect anywhere) there is probably a monthly fee? Anyone know how this pertains to a Kindle? It'd be nice to get online anywhere, but I have wireless at the house and there are public hot spots all over. I also read some about some Flash issues on Kindle, but that could just be for the technologically challenged. Since Netflix is a competitor to Amazon, I don't think there's a netflix app - could I watch netflix/hulu via internet browser?

If anyone can make some recc's or review which product they use and how they feel about it, I'd be grateful. Thanks kiddos.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: What tablet/e-reader do you use? Reviews/thoughts?

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:42 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus Wifi only. 2011 model but I got it for 200$ instead of like the 300+ it was when new. Love the thing. Fantastic. I only had to update to ICS was the only drawback and was easy as pie. Screen is really nice despite the rez being lower than an ipad. Still samsung knows screens. Not read books other than a few samples but looks great. Just know no tablet can be seen in broad daylight. So if you plan being outside a lot to read. You would want to invest in a E reader instead. That said seems the top E readers are from Nook and Kindle.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Id reccomend the Nexus 7 from Google. Its made by asus directly from google so you wont have a overlay on the OS like with Samsung, LG, Motorola or Sony. Which means faster performance, more software OS updates, greater compatability with all apps and a cleaner look of the stock OS imo.
Lots of reviews are out there for it. Id seriously consider it. And its only $199.

For reference I have a iPad 2, iPhone 5 and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone(work) and if I didnt already have an iPad I would have got the Nexus tab for sure. My Nexus phone on 4.1 jellybean is super smooth and imo the best smart phone out there next to the iPhone 5 in terms of a quality non buggy OS.
Ive also used various other android phones and tablets in the past few years and have quite alot of experience with them. I work for a company that lends them to us employees to use for business sales and I get a few new toys every once in awhile.
Imo Samsung tablets are good and Ive used them and liked them but stock android is the best in my experience.

The Kindle fire also seems like a solid simple device but imo spending $200 you might aswell get a full on tablet.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Whichever you choose, make sure it's not the latest model. Occasionally you'll get compatibility issues with operating systems, which you'll have to download updates to patch. With older models, you don't have that problem most of the time, coz they'll already be sorted. Besides that, if you get the model before last each time, you'll always save money.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Bluecast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:04 pm

I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S. I jail broke my iPhone and I tether it to connect my iPad at times. I use my iPad for work a lot and I also use it for personal enjoyment and for skype for my friends and family back home. I also use my iPad and iPhone (along with my MacBook Pro) for presentations and meetings at work as well and has made my overall life easier. Of course if you just want to simply read books as you said, basic kindles work within the confides of your desires.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:19 pm

What Ryudo said about the screen glare is of concern. I do like to read outside when weather cooperates. I believe that having an e-reader would motivate myself to read more often, but realistically I also desire the other aspects of having a tablet. Basically, having internet on the go (helpful for school as I hate carrying my laptop) and netflix/music is a pretty big draw, pushing me to lean toward spending the marginally higher amount to get a tablet.

So, maybe I should look for something with minimal glare. Kindle's site was hyping that their screen doesn't have much of a glare, but I'd have to try to get an unbiased opinion. I'll do some more research.

Thanks guys. I'm open to anyone else's thoughts, as well.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 pm

I use one called a bookshelf.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 pm

mrslig100 wrote: I use one called a bookshelf.

your back must hurt dragging it around on the go
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Nah, most worker class sligs have been trained to carry an excess of 150 pounds of weight.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:44 pm

I herd the Kindle Paper White is pretty good. And super light.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Fuck this reading shit, I'm buying a bong :lol:

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: Fuck this reading shit, I'm buying a bong :lol:

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Rakim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 pm

The library of titles available on these digital mediums is too limited for me to switch over yet. Especially when it comes to foreign texts.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am

lel fuken nurds redin an shiet let m no wen u joyn te big boyz in coll of duti

south carmain has received a thanks from: Axm
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Return to Off Topic