Virtual Morals

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Virtual Morals

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:44 am

Do you ever have morals in games? I mean when you are given the freedom to kill anyone or not?

I been playing AC 1 & II and I never hurt the women. I either only kill gaurds or those crazy fucks in AC1 that push you. Ok I did a lot of it in GTA VC but kills in GTA never felt like anything. While in TLS you can't kill people you can prank banana people by shooting them with banana peels to watch them slip. Never got old. I have also poisoned gaurds in ACII while I tossed money around them so the guard swings his axe at as many people as he can.

Now no matter what I can never harm an animal game or not.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Virtual Morals

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 am

i have no virtual morals. i remember when i was a kid playing Sonic 2 wondering if jumping on the robots hurt the little animal inside when it was freed. but by the time i was 10...nope. nada. i was desensitized to virtual people/animals. now real life is a different story (obviously). i never understood how someone can blame killing a virual person can cause a person to kill a real person. makes no since to me. i remember when i was 13 or 14 and my mom walked in my room and saw me blow someones head off in a sniper scope on Grand Theft Auto 3 and she was horrified. i laughed and told her "but its not real" and she looked at me and told me my attitude towards the situation was disgusting. her reaction still makes me laugh to this day.

Perfect_Chaos has received a thanks from: OL
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 am

I generally don't ever kill anything in games unless i have to. I also tend to gravitate to games that offer a choice.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 am

I stopped myself today from killing a thief in ACII because when he ran he said " I need to eat"
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 am

I'm in favor of equal rights for the sexes.
And when I play teh vidja gaymes, they have the equal right to die by my hand.

I did feel bad in Far Cry 3, having to kill innocent, unthreatening things like pigs or deer just so I could craft a new grenade pouch or whatever, but as soon as I had what the game required from them, I didn't kill anymore of the docile ones. The tigers, crocs, leopards, and rabid dogs are a different story however. I'd blast them with no qualms whatsoever. They attack on sight, so it didn't seem so bad.
Same goes for something like the old Tomb Raiders. When animals attack, what else are you supposed to do?
No reason to feel bad there.

When it comes to people though, I only feel bad if they happen to have some kind of character to them. In Hitman: Absolution for example, there's the one level where
47 has taken Dexter's gimpy son Lenny out into the desert, and tells him to start walking. At that point you can either kill him in any way you want, or get back in the car and drive away.
Initially, as much as he was begging for his life (and reacting differently to each weapon you pull out, which I thought was a really cool feature), I felt sorry enough for him that I was going to just drive off. The guy's a pathetic gimp with a bum leg, half a brain, and an inferiority complex. Not much of a threat on his own. So I figured fuck it, I'll just leave.
But then, after he had walked far enough away, he starts shouting insults about how he knew you were a pussy and how his dad is going to kill you. Then he pulls out a dilinger he had hidden in his shoe and starts shooting (with incredibly bad aim).
At that point, it's just like "What the fuck? I was being nice you little bitch. I was going to let you live."
And then it hit me that he'd also shot a nice old nun earlier in the game. At that point, the morals just melted away.
So I fired on the boxes of dynamite he'd conveniently taken cover next to, and watched his limp, lifeless body fly through the air.

So yeah, it's all about context.
A random cop on the ground in Kane & Lynch after being gutshot, moaning in pain: let God sort 'em out.
A defenseless animal whose hide I have no actual need for in Far Cry or AC3: leave them alone.
A gangly, pathetic toughguy-wannabe who just stepped off the short bus: depends on if he decides to be a dick or not.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 am

now on stealth games i do my best not to kill anyone other than targets. not because of morals but more of me just wanting to play the game correctly.

Perfect_Chaos has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 am

Absolutely none. I do whatever is most entertaining/fun for me at the time. Last thing I need is a game that makes me worry about what I'm doing in it.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: OL, Who Really Cares?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am

As much as people rave about Red Dead Redemption, I've always been hesitant to buy it due to the animal hunting aspect. There's just no part of my brain that can convince itself that such a thing is enjoyable.

Slaughtering women and children? Bring it on.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: OL
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 am

Trust me most the animals in RDR bring it on themselves so you will have no problem killing Bears, Wolves and so on.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:37 am

In stealth games I avoid killing and using lethal weapons/ammunition. Not because of my morals, but because I'm the Goddamn Batman!

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Perfect_Chaos
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yukupo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Really just depends on the game. Games like GTA I don't really care at all. But in more serious games I tend to only be a good guy. In MGS games I really just liked using my tranq gun. Any game where I have moral choices to make I definitely only pick the good ones and I try to preserve as many lives as I can.

I wasn't bothered by the animal killing in RDR really. Pretty sure I still wouldn't be bothered by it even though I'm vegan now. Really, it's just a game. (Though it was interesting I was playing Yakuza 3 trying to eat dishes that didn't have meat in them. Just for fun. It was difficult.)
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to General Gaming