Games With Interesting & Immersive Stories/Settings

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Games With Interesting & Immersive Stories/Settings

Postby KiBa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:05 am

Another LucasArts adventure game I highly recommend is The Dig. Very cinematic feel that was originally a Steven Spielberg plot for his old show Amazing Stories. It surely has an interesting and immersive story and setting. Great music too. Still love playing it from time to time.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:19 am

Always thought this was one of many overlooked gems of the PS2.From what I remember,there is no combat nor a health bar.But the story itself is what got me interested.I'm not good at typing out reviews so I'll just paste a summary of the gameplay from wikipedia.

The objective of Shadow of Memories is to guide player character Eike Kusch through the fictional German town of Lebensbaum (Life's Tree) as he travels through time to prevent his murder and unmask his murderer.The game takes place in three parts: a prologue, eight chapters,and an epilogue.In the prologue and each chapter,Eike dies,is resurrected by the non-player character Homunculus,and travels back in time before his death with the intent of changing events to prevent it.Shadow of Memories lacks traditional action elements,and Eike cannot attack nor does he have a bar displaying his health.The digipad,a time-traveling item given to Eike by Homunculus,requires energy units,which the player can find scattered around the town.The gameplay primarily consists of time-traveling through the different eras, finding items, and interacting through dialogue with the non-player characters.Actions taken in one time period affect future ones; for example,if Eike removes a seal from the squire's manor in 1580, the seal will not appear in the present era.

Additionally,the game keeps two digital clocks: one depicting the time in the present-day era and another for whichever era Eike time-travels to.The amount of time Eike spends in the different eras also passes in the present-day one.The cut-scenes and dialogue takes up varying amounts of in-game time.When the clock arrives at the time of Eike's death, the chapter restarts; however,if Eike is not in his time period at the time of his death, the game ends.

Samanosuke Akechi has received 3 thanks from: KiBa, Let's Get Sweaty, OL
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 am

i always wanted that and also Shadow hearts that looked cool too)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby KiBa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:45 am

Yes... And Koudelka.

Some more games I thought of:

Syberia
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Thief: The Dark Project

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: OL, Samanosuke Akechi
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 am

Loved Syberia.Great to hear that Benoit Sokal agreed to write the story for Syberia III.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: KiBa
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:09 am

I'm currently playing Matsuno's new game on 3DS - Crimson Shroud (it's out on the eShop in both US and Europe now) and once again, it's very well written RPG with unique game mechanics. Incredibly atmospheric too. Fans of Vagrant Story and the Ogre saga look no further. Music is fantastic too.

The story pulls you in, it's very much a dungeon crawler with character (complete with a dungeon master narrating, ala tabletop RPG style).

I also played through Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time on the PSP this year and it's the biggest surprise of the year for me, really reminded me of the PSX RPGs that you just don't get anymore (complete with the convoluted mindfuck storyline).

I'll also agree with the posts about Deadly Premonition, the ending is mind-blowingly good.

I'd also add Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on the list for immersive setting/well written characters.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Nankeiro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Of course:

And,

Nankeiro has received 2 thanks from: OL, Vyse Hazuky