ShenmueDojo Book Club

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

ShenmueDojo Book Club

Postby Thief » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:43 am

Would anybody here want to start a book club here at the dojo? We could take turns picking a novel for us to read over a week/2week/month period, whichever works best for everybody, and discuss. I think it would be fun but we'd have to at least get a few people interested and willing. Anybody think this is a good idea?

Thief has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, mue 26
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: ShenmueDojo Book Club

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Yes. As long as it isn't books. Games and/or comics. No books.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:15 pm

We can pick a book and talk about the cover and back side summary. Aswell as build quality of the book. The types of material used for the dust cover sleve and its book mark. I know I can really type up a storm on these aspects.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:16 pm

As long as they are from this list or can be categorized similarly:

http://listverse.com/2011/10/19/top-10- ... sit-reads/
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby beedle » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:22 pm

HELP CANT READ PLS TEECH BOOKS

beedle has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, MiTT3NZ
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yes. As long as it isn't books. Games and/or comics. No books.

Well, we pretty much discuss games already in the gaming forum, although it could work well if we singled out games for discussion, I guess. Problem is that games are expensive and we'd probably have to go retro and limit ourselves to consoles that everyone who's interested could play.

As for comics, I just don't like them :lol: Not that they're bad, I guess, it's just that I haven't found some that I really think are good. Best comics that I've read is X-Factor (2005) and even that is pretty flawed. I'd be open to suggestions though.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sailors? » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes. I want to start reading some more so a book club would be good for this I reckon. Even if it is discussing books with you fuckers.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:51 am

Thief wrote:

Well, we pretty much discuss games already in the gaming forum, although it could work well if we singled out games for discussion, I guess. Problem is that games are expensive and we'd probably have to go retro and limit ourselves to consoles that everyone who's interested could play.

As for comics, I just don't like them :lol: Not that they're bad, I guess, it's just that I haven't found some that I really think are good. Best comics that I've read is X-Factor (2005) and even that is pretty flawed. I'd be open to suggestions though.

Shut up. Comics are mint. Now accept that my word is law and I will accept your implied apology.

Seriously though, you'd be surprised at how good they are/can be. Specifically Batman comics... But I'm not talking about superhero comics anyway (probably shoulda been clear about that) I've got a number of non-superhero graphic novels I've yet to get through, and this would provide the perfect opportunity to do so.

I just hate books. They're boring. I used to read em, but I found that they tested my patience too often to enjoy. Why read a whole page on describing the conditions of a table and the state of the wallpaper in a room when I can just plainly see them in a comic? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that books are shit, but a lotta authors tend to go overboard when writing novels, and I get to the end of a scene thinking "six pages... coulda just been done in one" I mean, it ain't like they build suspense or set the atmosphere or owt, it's just utterly unnecessary.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 am

Rakim wrote: As long as they are from this list or can be categorized similarly:

http://listverse.com/2011/10/19/top-10- ... sit-reads/

I would just like to warn everyone to think twice before clicking the link in my previous post. I have been reading top 10 lists about nonsense for the last 6 hours now. I want to jump in front of a bullet train. Help Me!
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:08 am

Same. Dick ed.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:50 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP_m7Qd236A[/youtube]

I'll do it.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 am

I'd be up for it, but I'd like to know more about how it would work.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:25 pm

I like this idea and would be up for it, it'd help us all become a little more cultured. Though I'm sceptical that many would actually bother, I'm sure we'd get a few that would do a George from Seinfeld and try and watch the movie version at the last minute haha.

For our first book, I'd suggest The Makioka Sisters. Mainly beacuse I'm already half way through it, but it is a classic, and considered to be one of the most important novels in Japanese modern literature. Get some culture in yer!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:42 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Thief wrote:

Shut up. Comics are mint. Now accept that my word is law and I will accept your implied apology.

Seriously though, you'd be surprised at how good they are/can be. Specifically Batman comics... But I'm not talking about superhero comics anyway (probably shoulda been clear about that) I've got a number of non-superhero graphic novels I've yet to get through, and this would provide the perfect opportunity to do so.

I just hate books. They're boring. I used to read em, but I found that they tested my patience too often to enjoy. Why read a whole page on describing the conditions of a table and the state of the wallpaper in a room when I can just plainly see them in a comic? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that books are shit, but a lotta authors tend to go overboard when writing novels, and I get to the end of a scene thinking "six pages... coulda just been done in one" I mean, it ain't like they build suspense or set the atmosphere or owt, it's just utterly unnecessary.

Fair enough, I won't be one to tell you that you need to read books or anything. I read them because I enjoy them and if you don't like books that's fine. I had an English teacher once who went on and on about how he only read books and how movies/television were a lower form of media, to which I replied: Bullshit! You only read books because you like to, you fat fuck! He sucked. Regardless, one of the reasons I love books is because I have a small fascination for the English language. I love it when an author can write so well that their words almost seem like poetry. I've always admired people who have a general talent for writing. That being said, my favorite form of media is film. In my mind, words are best spoken; add in a good actor to help portray emotion and a good musical score and WHAMO! It's great. *note I know/understand little about cinematography*

I'd be interested in hearing about some good comics that you've read that aren't based around super heroes. You mentioned Batman but I've never been too big of a fan of Batman, not that I wouldn't be willing to give it a try. What would you recommend to someone who's new to comics? One comic that I've heard praise from quite a bit is the Sandman series. I actually own The Dream Hunters which is apparently part of the Sandman Series (I actually bought this because Yoshitaka Amano did the artwork for the book) but that's not a comic.

Vyse Hazuky wrote:I'd be up for it, but I'd like to know more about how it would work.

I imagine that we'd take turns hosting the book club. The host would decide which book we would be reading and we'd also have to establish how long we should take to read the book, either a month or two weeks or a week, whichever works best for everybody. Then we'd make a topic for the discussion of the book and then, discuss. Probably get the ball rolling with what people did or did not like about the book, et cetera, and move on from there. I'm open to suggestions because I've never been part of a book club before. I also think it might be wise to stay away from books in a series or overly long books, although who knows?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:30 am

I can try my best to provide free :-" digital versions of the books for us dojoers who aren't interested enough in reading to actually pay for an individual tome.

As stated in my initial post I totally agree that the reading choices should lean towards the short side. Or at least not have material that's too dense. Ulysses is great but probably not the best text for our little book club.

I like this idea so let's make it happen Thief!
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Off Topic