Oddworld

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Oddworld

Postby Feelers Rebo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm going to be controversial and say that I liked Munch's Oddysee. It was very marred by the Xbox's lack of detail, obviously due to the limitations of 3D, however.
Feelers Rebo
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Very true, it was probably one of the very first 3D games to be created on the original gamebryo engine, and an early version of maya I think... Not to mention rendering at the very least 30fps on realtime engines (If anyone here has ever rendered video on 3DS max they know what im on about :P ) is a pain i the arse if your trying to make something look graphically stunning but also have it run efficiently. Whats truley amazing though is the extent of this efficiency.
Ive got a PC copy of this game that im dissecting on an old crappy IBM lenovo T60 that has seen many better days and I don't even know what graphics chip it has but wont even render even the easiest realtime 3D environments beyond 2fps. However munch's odyssey runs perfectly on it!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Feelers Rebo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, my technical understanding of the game's mechanics extends to "it was ok back then, but could be better now".

I think the Magog Motors and Splinterz sections (and additionally, parts of Vykkers Labs) of the game were as close as it got to the feel of the Abe games.
I have to say, Stranger's Wrath was better than Munch, albeit completely different.
Feelers Rebo

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm a fan of the Oddworld games. Abe's odyssey was the very first playstation game I owned, in fact, seeing a demo of it in a shop was what compelled my dad to buy the Playstation. I absolutely loved that game, I remember being blown away by the cutscenes. I inevitably got stuck and faliled to complete it however, and the same goes for the second game, I loved it but got stuck.

I never could get into Munch on the Xbox at all, though I did somewhat adore (and complete!) Stranger's Wrath, a gorgeous looking game and quite imaginative too.

I really should go back and play the games again now they've all been re-released (they have, haven't they?). I suppose they are the type of games that usually age pretty gracefully.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm

their being re-released in Autumn I think, strangers wrath HD is out and it looks GREAT!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm

These were based on a true story, weren't they?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes, it takes place in 1960's apartheid Argentina, shortly after Moses freed the Mormons from slavery in Scotland, so it has that cosmopolitan vibe, not unlike Mario 64.

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: OL, St. Elmo's Fire
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 am

KiBa wrote: Yes, it takes place in 1960's apartheid Argentina, shortly after Moses freed the Mormons from slavery in Scotland, so it has that cosmopolitan vibe, not unlike Mario 64.

yeah fuck mario and its pro nazi subliminal messages, making children support plumbers and their ascension of the 4th reich

south carmain has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 am

Yep, Italian plumber, we all know which side they batted for in WW2. (plus you can find bottles of wine adorned with Swastikas in some supermarkets there! :shock:)

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: south carmain
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Yep, Italian plumber, we all know which side they batted for in WW2. (plus you can find bottles of wine adorned with Swastikas in some supermarkets there! :shock:)

exactly, and made by the Japanese, the nazis main allies of WW2 (apparently the Italians were so bad they were actually a handicap during the war :lol: )

south carmain has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Previous

Return to General Gaming