Anyone still write notes for playing a game?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Anyone still write notes for playing a game?

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 am

Seems to be a lost practice thanks to youtube. Older gaming manuals always had a note section. I always used a regular pad of paper. I remember writing all the notes on paper of OoT songs so I didn't have to pause. All the QTE's for Shenmue II. The right path to take in a certain part in Grandia on the rainbow road. RPG's used to always take notes. I think I still have some when I was 14 or so in old guides. Now some games include a way to used notes like Hotel dusk to write them down in the game. 3DS has an app that let's you make notes in the system.

So do any of you still write notes for playing a game or just use a guide/gamefaq/youtube?

I'm more the youtube guy
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Anyone still write notes for playing a game?

Postby Spokane » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 am

I do everything. Maybe I should take a picture and share the huge stack of papers I have just from the past year of stuff I have written down or printed out.

Spokane has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 am

In Yakuza I made notes about the hostesses' likes and dislikes so that I wouldn't give the "wrong" answer to questions I'd already faced. If anybody found those notes I think I'd shoot myself.

I also made notes of ongoing feuds in General Manager mode of SmackDown vs Raw 2006, as there was no way of checking this information while booking the card for the next show. Forgot to schedule another match between Triple H and Renee Dupree? Their 4-star feud is stricken from the game's memory; millions of pay-per-view buys lost.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 am

Depends on the game obviously. If it's a puzzle or something, I work better with paper, but if it's just something to remember (like a password key or something to ask a NPC) I just make a note on my cellphone.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 am

I did in Tex Murphy. And Hotel Dusk, obviously. I've been waiting years for a game to come out that practically forces me to take notes and draw my own map. Unless I make it myself though, I know it'll never come.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: I did in Tex Murphy. And Hotel Dusk, obviously. I've been waiting years for a game to come out that practically forces me to take notes and draw my own map. Unless I make it myself though, I know it'll never come.

Same here with adventure games. Especially the detective games. I did it for Virtue's Last Reward, writing passwords down on the 3DS memo (which is basically required if you want to get through ending locks otherwise you get either a bad ending or locked out with a "to be continued").
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am

Played Snatcher last year and made notes of the phone numbers on the notes app on my phone. I usually only do it for passwords or a phrase I will have to remember further in the game.

One of the best parts of Hotel Dusk and Last Window was making notes in your book as everything seemed like it could be of importance.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Not for a long time, but I would still do it if I felt the need. Though TBH I am a bit guilty of hitting Google sometimes, too.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:24 pm

No. The only times I can remember writing a lot down was when the only way to save was getting those long passwords in the 16 bit days.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 pm

In Yakuza I made notes about the hostesses' likes and dislikes so that I wouldn't give the "wrong" answer to questions I'd already faced. If anybody found those notes I think I'd shoot myself

:rotflmao:
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to General Gaming