Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby js3 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks, CodingGenesis.

I did have a look for a new members section, but didn't see one. I think my story is similar to a late of you - in my late twenties, played Shenmue when it first came out and it had a powerful effect on me. I'm not even that much of a gamer, but I loved the almost mythic heroes journey that Ryo undertook. The archetypes and everything resonated powerfully with me. I remember playing it around Christmas time, and I felt like I knew Doubuita and Yokosuka intimately. There was - and still is - a subtle magic to the game. I love the fact that at it's core, Shenmue is profoundly moral, and that Ryo (despite his baffling lack of awareness/understanding of the opposite sex) is a good role model. If I have kids - and most probably will - I want them to play Shenmue. I'll never forget that sense of adventure as the boat set off to China; I left my house on a crisp, cold February afternoon and it felt as though the world was overflowing with possibility, and that everything had been re-enchanted. Other people (a lot of my friends have played and loved the game) have similar feelings.

I was a little disappointed with the overtly mystical direction that Shenmue 2 seemed to be heading (magic swords and whatnot) but the series is still my favourite of all time. I desperately want a part 3, but as I mentioned in another thread, I think for that to happen we first need 1 & 2 released on HD.

Anyway, that's it pretty much. As I said, I've been lurking for ages (since 2004? It feels like it anyway, but I don't know if the site has even been here since then). It's good to be part of the forum - you are all extremely dedicated!

To keep this thread on track (well, sort of), I remember seeing a video of a 360 gamer magazine, with Shenmue 1 & 2 HD listed in the upcoming games section. Did anyone ever contact that magazine to enquire about that?

js3 has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
js3
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby Nankeiro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, now there's a formal release of the Yu Suzuki interview in the Dojo. Amazing work done by Kiyuu and Ziming.
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenSun » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:24 pm

If Shenmue or Skies of Arcadia are not the next games to be announced for the Sega Heritage collection, then i have officially lost all hope for our beloved series.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 pm

js3 wrote:
To keep this thread on track (well, sort of), I remember seeing a video of a 360 gamer magazine, with Shenmue 1 & 2 HD listed in the upcoming games section. Did anyone ever contact that magazine to enquire about that?

Welcome.

I did contact an editor at an email address we found, but was not dignified with a response. I heard that in subsequent issues, Shenmue was removed from that list. Based on how the media reported on but failed to investigate this Kickstarter mumbo, I have absolutely no faith in the investigative integrity of gaming media.

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Anyone remember when Shenmue III was listed on Gamestop pre order list. Ah those were the days when we had so much hope
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Nankeiro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Wow... It got that far? How was that possible? Pre-order? Damn...
Nankeiro

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Nankeiro wrote: Wow... It got that far? How was that possible? Pre-order? Damn...

Because Gamestop were incompetent
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Just noticed the translated interview up on Facebook.
I wanna say thanks to Ziming for continuing to run a well updated Shenmue Dojo page and keeping the fanbase going on that end. Great job.
And thanks to Kiyuu for the full translation. Always a valuable member.

Axm has received a thanks from: Kiyuu
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby js3 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
js3 wrote:

Welcome.

I did contact an editor at an email address we found, but was not dignified with a response. I heard that in subsequent issues, Shenmue was removed from that list. Based on how the media reported on but failed to investigate this Kickstarter mumbo, I have absolutely no faith in the investigative integrity of gaming media.

Cheers for that. Very disappointing that they didn't even bother to respond.
js3

Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:36 pm

They probably couldn't find the words to say, "We saw all the hype about HD remakes for Shenmue right before going to press, and being aware of our inherent disadvantage against websites that can be updated every minute of every hour, we didn't want to get left behind for a month on the confirmation that was sure to follow. So we quickly added these games to our release schedule at the last minute expecting to be proven right, and maybe even credited with being first with the scoop. Boy were our faces red when that official announcement didn't come, and we had to quietly remove the games from our listings in the next issue. Thank you for your interest and please keep buying our fine publication."

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Trunks » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Pretty cool interview, thanks for the translation Kiyuu.

Awesome to come back to the Dojo after a while and see all of the new snippets of SIII info :) Just a shame there is nothing concrete yet :( I think worst case scenario we will end up with some sort of web released comic/short story to tie up the Shenmue Saga, written by Yu.

I think he honestly believes at some point in the future he will be allowed to make it in some form or another. Once all hope is lost for him I don't think he will leave us hanging. He knows the following Shenmue has and expresses his desire to finish the story, one way or another.

Another key question... who is the blonde sitting next to Yu?! :heart:
Trunks
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby CodingGenesis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Obviously a hottie.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 pm

She never said a word in the conference. I think she was there to open the water bottle for Yu. She is hot.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:04 pm

The_Intruder wrote: She never said a word in the conference. I think she was there to open the water bottle for Yu. She is hot.

Were you fed paint chips as a child?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Ryudo wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: She never said a word in the conference. I think she was there to open the water bottle for Yu. She is hot.

Were you fed paint chips as a child?

What is paint chips? :lol:
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates