Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby Wanderin' » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 am

Hmm. What a conundrum we find ourselves in. In order for anything remotely close to the Shenmue 3 we all envision to become a reality, a number of circumstances need to occur in support of each other and concurrently. Sega needs to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 to grow both support and a better understanding among today's contemporary gaming audience (that may be unawares of what Shenmue is) of Shenmue 3, but they won't rightly do so unless they know that a Shenmue 3 is *actually* going to be made. And a Shenmue 3 will not *actually* be made until Yu Suzuki has come into possession of the necessary resources and/or the necessary/appropriate collaboration with a potentially third party developer.

Nevertheless, the legitimate value and meaningfulness of the ongoing campaign to Give Yu the Shenmue License ought not to be called into question - it was not my intention to do so and you shall have to forgive me if that is what it seemed. As it does in fact remain as one of perhaps the only avenues in which public interest in and demand for a continuation to Shenmue is maintained, we should not be questioning its purpose.

On the other hand, a third potential circumstance that needs to occur concurrently may just be this. Perhaps it is not that Mr. Suzuki needs to assume some kind of impossibly unrealistic expectation to find an as of yet unidentifiable, yet well resourced, development partner all by himself. Rather, and ultimately, the most logical (and yet dream-like, and ideal) possibility here is if said well resourced partner took the initiative to broker a partnership with *Sega* and necessarily invited Suzuki to helm the project - and as an exclusive to said partner.

This way, we need not extraneously shuffle the ownership of the license about and Mr. Suzuki remains as the appreciated and acknowledged creative director. Additionally, because the entire project is designed to be an exclusive arrangement to said partner, there exists a possibility that the re-releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 would be more likely: if the Shenmue 3 project is already in development exclusively for a particular console, then it makes the tasks of only having to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 for that one exclusive console (either as exclusive digital titles, an exclusive retail collection, or exclusively with the Shenmue 3 release as a collection) potentially more palatable. As it stands, Sega most likely has not and will not spend the effort and additional resources to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 (either digitally or physically) on *all* of the multiplatforms, considering just how uncertain the future of Shenmue 3 is and whether or not it would even be feasible or appropriate to make it a multiplatform title. If it won't be, then that is all the more reason why Sega has not yet acted because then it would be irrelevant to make the re-releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 a multiplatform release.

The problem of course, has and always will be: which partner? Which console? And how to appropriately and effectively shift our efforts and campaigning in a manner and direction that will be able to draw *all* of these necessary circumstances together, and concurrently? Cheers.
Last edited by Wanderin' on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Rakim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:24 am

You should seriously go into journalism. Never before have I witnessed someone as effortlessly long-winded as you.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby redline » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 am

Wanderin' wrote: Hmm. What a conundrum we find ourselves in. In order for anything remotely close to the Shenmue 3 we all envision to become a reality, a number of circumstances need to occur in support of each other and concurrently. Sega needs to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 to grow both support and a better understanding among today's contemporary gaming audience (that may be unawares of what Shenmue is) of Shenmue 3, but they won't rightly do so unless they know that a Shenmue 3 is *actually* going to be made. And a Shenmue 3 will not *actually* be made until Yu Suzuki has come into possession of the necessary resources and/or the necessary/appropriate collaboration with a potentially third party developer.

Nevertheless, the legitimate value and meaningfulness of the ongoing campaign to Give Yu the Shenmue License ought not to be called into question - it was not my intention to do so and you shall have to forgive me if that is what it seemed. As it does in fact remain as one of perhaps the only avenues in which public interest in and demand for a continuation to Shenmue is maintained, we should not be questioning its purpose.

On the other hand, a third potential circumstance that needs to occur concurrently may just be this. Perhaps it is not that Mr. Suzuki needs to assume some kind of impossibly unrealistic expectation to find an as of yet unidentifiable, yet well resourced, development partner all by himself. Rather, and ultimately, the most logical (and yet dream-like, and ideal) possibility here is if said well resourced partner took the initiative to broker a partnership with *Sega* and necessarily invited Suzuki to helm the project - and as an exclusive to said partner.

This way, we need not extraneously shuffle the ownership of the license about and Mr. Suzuki remains as the appreciated and acknowledged creative director. Additionally, because the entire project is designed to be an exclusive arrangement to said partner, there exists a possibility that the re-releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 would be more likely: if the Shenmue 3 project is already in development exclusively for a particular console, then it makes the tasks of only having to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 for that one exclusive console (either as exclusive digital titles, an exclusive retail collection, or exclusively with the Shenmue 3 release as a collection) potentially more palatable. As it stands, Sega most likely has not and will not spend the effort and additional resources to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 (either digitally or physically) on *all* of the multiplatforms, considering just how uncertain the future of Shenmue 3 is and whether or not it would even be feasible or appropriate to make it a multiplatform title. If it won't be, then that is all the more reason why Sega has not yet acted because then it would be irrelevant to make the re-releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 a multiplatform release.

The problem of course, has and always will be: which partner? Which console? And how to appropriately and effectively shift our efforts and campaigning in a manner and direction that will be able to draw *all* of these necessary circumstances together, and concurrently? Cheers.

when is shenmue 3 coming out?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 am

I do agree that prompting console manufacturers to fund the game as an exclusive should form an important part of the campaign. Unfortunately though, many gamers are short-sighted and refuse to support the idea of their most wanted sequel being released exclusively on a system they don't already (plan to) own.

The childish anti-Nintendo fanboyism that met Team Yu's brief attempt to focus efforts on the Wii U following the Bayonetta 2 announcement was jaw dropping. And while there may be more of that petulance aimed at Nintendo than the supposedly "mature" options of Sony or Microsoft, I think we'd still struggle to unite the current campaign behind any concerted effort to make Shenmue 3 an Xbox or PlayStation exclusive. Too many people loyal to the other bundle of wires and plastic simply wouldn't stand for it. Everybody wants Shenmue 3 until they have to step outside their branded comfort zones to get it.

The compromise of course is to just urge everyone to aim their requests at whichever company they prefer. But then each company will only be witness to a fraction of the demand for this game, when in reality most Sony gamers would still fork out for it if it became exclusive to Microsoft (and vice-versa) - they just don't want to encourage that outcome if they think their beloved manufacturer of choice might still come through for them.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Wanderin' » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Ah, yes. You indeed bring notice to the one glaring yet undeniable difficulty that has so perpetually plagued any of our ongoing efforts in campaigning for a continuation to the series thus far: the lack of true collectivity amongst Shenmue fans the world over.

It is incredibly inspiring and reassuring to see such recent Shenmue related social media efforts garner larger and larger responses from fans all over the world each time. But, you're right. Even now, we still ultimately stand weak and undivided within our very own ranks.

It's fine for us to unmistakably let the industry at large know that we want a Shenmue 3 *in general*. But yes, our collective shortsightedness and thus far inability as a fanbase at large to collectively strategize, agree upon, and impress upon Suzuki, Sega, and the industry our contemplations of all the steps to come *after* someone finally agrees to make Shenmue 3 leaves Suzuki, Sega, and all the relevant and viable console companies with only fractions of what we *could* offer together as a united and collective whole.

Here we have fans wanting a glorious multiplatform return and release of the series. There we have fans wanting Shenmue 3 to be Playstation exclusive. Still others want Microsoft or Nintendo exclusivity. Some entertain the possibiity of Shenmue 1, 2, and 3 on Vita. And even then there are still those of us who posit that Suzuki could just develop and release Shenmue 3 as a Dreamcast title even now.

As you can see, the so-called 'collective' Shenmue movement is so direly fractious that the industry is not at all entirely to blame for not knowing how to move forward apart from just knowing that 'we want Shenmue 3'. But how? Who? What? When? Where?

This means we - as a fanbase collectively - have yet to finish our homework entirely. Okay. We want Shenmue 3. That's already been established. But of all the main console companies, of all the third party developers, in our research and collective opinion, *what/who is realistically the most appropriate and feasible possibility* for being a good fit for a Shenmue 3 partnership with Suzuki and Sega? *Why* would it be a good and lucrative fit for them? How would they go about collaborating on the project, and how will we - as a collective whole - support them?

If we ever can answer *all* of these questions intelligently *and* certifiably agree upon them as an undeniably united movement then it starts to become ever easier - if gradually so - for us to both better answer to and support our movement and for that potential partner, Suzuki, and Sega to start to see more and more *just what exactly* we expect them to do and in what specific direction they will take it.

Hmm. If only passion and enthusiasm for gaming as a legitimately meaningful form of media was this strong back in 2000-2001. Things were so much easier then - you had Shenmue and you had the Dreamcast. Not until Xbox and Shenmue IIx did console partisanship ever matter to our fanbase. But then again companies were much more immature and narrow-minded back then (although the way they carry on even in this day and age makes me wonder about that...). I digress, nonetheless. Cheers.
Wanderin'

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Looking forward to the interview though I agree with Peter that if anything was earth-shattering mentioned then it would've already been spread like wildfire across the web. With that said hope there's some nice S3 tidbits in there maybe?...hopefully... Also it would be nice to know what Yu has been up too as well.
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Giorgio » Sat May 04, 2013 8:48 am

Came to my mind like a flash yesterday and I remembered and wondered: What is going on with the interview and when is it going to come out?

Ziming wrote: I heard from David that Kenji recently moved to a new place. He's trying to get things in order right now.

Yes. I am waiting.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 am

Just an idea, but Shenmue Master's been having problems with their forum lately so maybe they want to have that up and running again before publishing the interview?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:49 pm

I think I have not seen the following particular video in the posts before, so I thought I had post that one to be listed in this thread, too:

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:24 pm

I can only guess from the preview frame that one of Yu's jokes during the presentation was to take credit for breaking up the Soviet Union. Well, I say "jokes," but I'd be willing to believe it's true.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm

David informed me the interview will probably be up by this weekend.

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, The_Intruder
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:36 pm

That's great news.... I was going crazy waiting for that interview.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Just an idea, but Shenmue Master's been having problems with their forum lately so maybe they want to have that up and running again before publishing the interview?

Let's Get Sweaty, your idea is confirmed! After the announcement that the Suzuki interview is very close to be published, the Shenmue Master forums have returned back: http://forum.shenmuemaster.fr/

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I hope the interview is published by this weekend because we waited too long.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Kenji-kun » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am

I am so sorry to have you kept waiting like that dudes ! (I feel very uncomfortable)
In march 2013, I was home moving. And when all was ready, my old computer abandoned me, fully broken.
I took time to buy a baddass new computer (I assembled myself, part by part) and fills of bad luck : it makes arbitrarily shutdowns (impossible to run my film editing software in those conditions), I've wasted time searching for solutions (hardware + software) but that beats me...
I finally borrowed an old friend's computer and I managed to edit the interview.
Yesterday, I've just finished the english dubs in order to upload the video on Ziming's youtube account at the same time with the french version. It won't take much time before you can see it (a matter of day).

I've really thought to Shenmue fans while editing the video.
Hope you will enjoy.

Kenji-kun
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates