Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

Postby ThatGuy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Crazy idea and it's probably been said before but...

How about a Shenmue Dojo Kickstarter project where we (that's all of us on the forum) pump money into a fund and spread the word everywhere we can. Then here comes the fun part we then demand Sega takes our money and makes us Shemue 3 (and maybe Shenmue 1 & 2 HD too.)

Broken Sword 5 had a kickstarter project and they made way more than the target.
ThatGuy
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Don't be that guy... But yeah, the idea's been "kicked" around, but only SEGA or Suzuki himself would be able to do it.

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:39 pm

^ What Mittsie said. But to elaborate...

Many reasons why fans cannot and should not take it upon themselves to raise funds "for Shenmue 3" -

1) We don't know how much investment Sega would need in order to make the game. Only Sega knows.

2) Sega needs more than money to make the game. They need to be able to commit time and resources, which means taking staff away from other projects to work on this one. We don't know if or when Sega can make those rearrangements. Only Sega knows.

3) Why should the public trust an unofficial, unendorsed fundraiser to use their cash for the advertised purpose? With the best will in the world, there'll always be a suspicion that at least some of what's raised will be spent on hookers and crack.

4) If reason #3 results in people withholding their donations out of caution, it would misrepresent the demand that exists for this game. Sega would be given the false impression that people don't want the game after all, when in fact that isn't the reason they haven't paid up.

5) If the fundraiser fails to result in Shenmue III, for any of these reasons (and it only takes one), then people will be twice-shy about backing any legitimate, fully endorsed fundraiser that may happen down the line. They'll feel like they already tried this and it went nowhere, and so they'll pass up their chance to really make it happen.

6) Lastly, Kickstarter itself has guidelines stating that a project on the site must have "a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it." Without Sega's prior approval, this cannot be guaranteed. The guidelines also state that examples of prohibited use include "promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause." So a fan-organized Shenmue III fundraiser on Sega's unsolicited behalf would not even be allowed on Kickstarter.

In short, as exciting an idea as it may seem to "take the bull by the horns" and raise the money for Shenmue 3 ourselves, in practice it would not only be fruitless but would very probably do more harm to the game's prospects than good. It's a nice thought, but it should remain just that.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Don't be that guy....

:lol:

But yeah no matter how many of these topicare made the answer is the same from me. Even if this hasd Yu's blessing and had no legal troubles. I would only help fund it it I knew for sure it would be released. I was already burned by the dev room and Mega Man 3. I'm just not falling for this stuff anymore. They get my money when released. Not before.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 pm

We could however create a kickstarter for an OpenShenmue game but that wont happen haha.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby fromzero » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Instead of looking for reasons why it can't be done, find reasons why it can be. Sega explicitly said that they are willing to.roll the game out but not willing to publish it. Simply open a kickstarter for a publishing company who's main goal is to obtain publishing rights of "classic Sega f.r.e.e. games and future titles" once the kickstarter is rolling it shouldn't be too hard to get Yu on board. I'm still holding off for a book or anything. Even if we got a book, comic, cartoon, anything... I need closure to feel complete.
fromzero
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:29 pm

fromzero wrote: Instead of looking for reasons why it can't be done, find reasons why it can be. Sega explicitly said that they are willing to.roll the game out but not willing to publish it. Simply open a kickstarter for a publishing company who's main goal is to obtain publishing rights of "classic Sega f.r.e.e. games and future titles" once the kickstarter is rolling it shouldn't be too hard to get Yu on board. I'm still holding off for a book or anything. Even if we got a book, comic, cartoon, anything... I need closure to feel complete.

Yes the company that deletes people video's on YouTube because they mentioned Shining Force a 20 something year old game will let the fans take part in one of it's IP's.

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Perfect_Chaos
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 pm

I wouldnt donate a penny, unless the fund was officially started by a credible gaming studio, or Suzuki himself.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: Bluecast, Let's Get Sweaty, Yokosuka Martian, Ziming
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby redline » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 am

someone has already started a kickstarter for shenmue 3, he was looking for around $53 million.. :lol: he posted a message on the forums looking for money but i assume the mod's pulled the thread
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 am

I've been chasing that guy (not ThatGuy) around the Internet, posting the same response to try and dissuade him and others from promoting his ill-conceived, damaging campaign (or possible scam). I even replied in French on the Shenmue Master forum (albeit in less detail...). So if you see him crop up anywhere else, let me know!

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Yokosuka Martian
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:12 pm

If Sega themselves did a Kickstarter, maybe. But they would have to promise that the game would release if funded. Even if the game sucks. Personally, I think a Kickstarter for a Shenmue Remake is a better idea.

They already have the story and the script, remake Shenmue and Shenmue II into one game similar to Halo: Anniversary edition, which is a true remake. Add a bit more story, including the boat chapter and at least one other new chapter and tons of side quests and collectibles. Call it something like Shenmue: Stories.

That would probably garner more support than a Shenmue 3, as Sega already know that there are people who like Shenmue and 2 and would die to play it in HD. They are not so sure about a complete complete continuation of the story.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm

ShenmueTree wrote:That would probably garner more support than a Shenmue 3, as Sega already know that there are people who like Shenmue and 2 and would die to play it in HD. They are not so sure about a complete complete continuation of the story.

Really? Given the choice, I'd have said that most existing Shenmue fans (who'd make up the vast majority of any Kickstarter backing) would be far more interested in a conclusion to the story than replaying the same chapters in HD. Sure, the latter could potentially lead to the former, but I'm as certain as I can be that a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter would blow an HD re-release Kickstarter out of the water.

I'm not saying what Sega should or would do, or what would be more profitable upon release, I'm just disputing your theory of which would generate more backing as a standalone campaign.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:That would probably garner more support than a Shenmue 3, as Sega already know that there are people who like Shenmue and 2 and would die to play it in HD. They are not so sure about a complete complete continuation of the story.

Really? Given the choice, I'd have said that most existing Shenmue fans (who'd make up the vast majority of any Kickstarter backing) would be far more interested in a conclusion to the story than replaying the same chapters in HD. Sure, the latter could potentially lead to the former, but I'm as certain as I can be that a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter would blow an HD re-release Kickstarter out of the water.

I'm not saying what Sega should or would do, or what would be more profitable upon release, I'm just disputing your theory of which would generate more backing as a standalone campaign.

I agree with you that Shenmue fans want Shenmue 3 and would support it more than a complete remake of the first two games with a few extra chapters, IF the game were without a doubt going to be released, no matter what. I don't thinkthey'd support it if there would be delays after delays until the game becomes nonviable.

That's why I said I think more people would support a remake, it takes less resources in almost everything and it would have a far better chance of being made in the end.

If given the choice between definite games being made of course Shenmue 3 will be the most popular between old shenmue fans, I will never dispute that.

Also I think those people that think graphics are everything and that are new to Shenmue would support a remake too.

Again, personally if I knew for sure it was going to be made I'd support Shenmue 3. Otherwise, I may have just gotten my hopes up and spent my money for a game that may never happen. At least with the remakes, if it doesn't come to fruition I can just write it off as already having played the games.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

I see the distinction you're making now. That's fair enough I suppose, although I think fans who see Sega launching a Kickstarter for Shenmue III and then think, "Oh, actually I won't donate in case they don't make it after all," would be in the minority. Most would take it as a real "now or never" invitation to put their money where their mouth is.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I see the distinction you're making now. That's fair enough I suppose, although I think fans who see Sega launching a Kickstarter for Shenmue III and then think, "Oh, actually I won't donate in case they don't make it after all," would be in the minority. Most would take it as a real "now or never" invitation to put their money where their mouth is.

Any fans of Shenmue that are Mega Man fans won't fall for that trick again. Again look at the Dev room.

Personally I been burned by 3 franchises now.
Shenmue
Mega Man Legends
Darksiders

All of those had big cliff hangers and none getting the 3rd game
I am afraid to support anything uncertain anymore at all
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III