Is It Just Me Or Is It Dead Here Now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Is It Just Me Or Is It Dead Here Now?

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Stocke wrote: When there are huge conversations going, whenever new members post they're usually ignored by the long term members that are already talking amongst themselves, because of how well they already know each other.
Then i never really see those new members post again.

I remember when I first came here, I was ignored sometimes. But I kept going cause I really liked the conversations going on at the time and eventually I was heard. But I don't think i'm the most vocal or entertaining or popular guy on here, I just say my piece and go. More so now than before.

I don't really think there's an expectation to get immediately assimilated when they say one or two things (and if there is, it's not a realistic expectation especially in real life). I notice that alot of the people here who are remembered often had/have extremely strong personalities. Like you can't ignore their presence, for better or worse. And it has nothing to do with color of text or the number of paragraphs you type (well not solely anyway). It was the things they said.

Some people get noticed cause they're funnier. Some get noticed cause they're so bitterly cynical and attention seeking it's like a train wreck. Some get noticed cause they have interesting insight on a particular subject. And I like to think in my case some get noticed cause they bothered to stick around the longest.

Kenny has received 4 thanks from: Bluecast, Sonikku, Stocke, ys
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Peeps tried rippin me when I came coz I couldn't be arsed typing in perfect grammar. Spaz was the only one who actually read what I posted n stuck up for me, sayin that I were actually makin good points. I'll always love him coz of that. And coz, well, y'know, it's Spaz.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Ryudo wrote:To be fair 2009 is when SD was dying and the only ones posting were the few regulars and staff was vacant. Was just me pretty much and everyone was loose to basically party in a sense. Had the Shenmue Wiki was born and Riku was nick named dickbutt. NO ONE talked Shenmue at all. We talk Shenmue all the time now and while SD atm is in a quiet patch it's more active than back then.

I can't speak for everyone but to me after you been here a long time you just get used to new names popping up all the time and if they post often just get used to them as regular members and just post with them.
YM is also correct many make some big introduction and never post again. So most welcome posts are to be polite. If they start posting more often and people respond to them that is more a real welcome as another accepted voice and opinion.

I remember those days and look back fondly to them. Even the old Dragon theme made the place feel so derelict and decrepit. The most laughs I ever had was coming home from my crappy part-time job and reading the Junk forum all afternoon.

I think that old kind of circle-jerk allowed me to get to know the regulars much better too, also the same for you guys, as I was a returning member myself at the time.

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, myshtuff
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:36 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Peeps tried rippin me when I came coz I couldn't be arsed typing in perfect grammar. Spaz was the only one who actually read what I posted n stuck up for me, sayin that I were actually makin good points. I'll always love him coz of that. And coz, well, y'know, it's Spaz.

I know we often don't see eye to eye on much of anything, but I never intend to project outright malice and hope I was never among those that criticized your spelling obnoxiously or ripped on you for no good reason. I just sometimes merely want to ring your scrawny little neck, is all. :heart:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Peeps tried rippin me when I came coz I couldn't be arsed typing in perfect grammar. Spaz was the only one who actually read what I posted n stuck up for me, sayin that I were actually makin good points. I'll always love him coz of that. And coz, well, y'know, it's Spaz.

Back when that guy called Twist thought he was the forum bully. 8)

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 pm

I ripped you and still remember the sicker than Africa for some reason. Just made me laugh I guess.

When I first joined Sam was the first to welcome me. I was mostly ignored at first but quickly became known and only a year in was voted on staff. Maybe that's why we never voted again :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:21 pm

I guess for a noob I fit in pretty quickly, though it did help there were a few fellow londoners at the time so a group to identify with
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Ryudo wrote:I ripped you

lol
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Ryudo wrote:I ripped you

lol

Ripped flamed whatever the term. Hip or not. I was one of the ones that was attacking in fact I believe I may have been the main culprit. Sorry about that. I have many regrets about the past :oops:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm

south carmain wrote: I guess for a noob I fit in pretty quickly, though it did help there were a few fellow londoners at the time so a group to identify with

That, and of course the fact that you assumed poor ol Gboy's life. A few months later and Gboy mysteriously vanishes without a trace :-k

:P
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I think it took you a few months to think I was gboy, by then I was already a semi regular poster amongst the community ;-)
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:01 pm

mue 26 wrote:
south carmain wrote: I guess for a noob I fit in pretty quickly, though it did help there were a few fellow londoners at the time so a group to identify with

That, and of course the fact that you assumed poor ol Gboy's life. A few months later and Gboy mysteriously vanishes without a trace :-k

:P

No mystery. I banned him for ragging on my health and typical overreaction from me back then. :???: Tho was not a few months. Gboy was banned in spring 2011. SC joined a full year later.

More regrets
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ys » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Ryudo wrote: Have to admit this is the most quiet the forums have been in a while. I been out a lot more since the weather got better and didn't notice as much at first. Maybe everyone else is getting out to the spring weather as well.

It's not the reason over here at least since it snowed a bit again last week. For me it's partly that I'm having a, let's say, "less happy" period again which makes me care less about being active in general :-" And it's also a bit busier at the moment so I mainly read the forums without posting.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Stocke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm

mue 26 wrote: Feelers Reebo (did I spell his name right) is cool new guy though. As are you Stocke, but I swear your an older member aren't you? Giorge (did I spell his name right) is cool too, he was so incredibly considerate, that he PM'd me to apologise for taking part in a discussion about Shenmue' s troubled past in the MAG's thread after I made some flippant remark. Don't be intimidated new people, you are the future, the dojo is NOTHING without you!

I didn't think it was intimidation, more like what Yokosuka Martian said, skimming over posts.
Anyway it was just a thought, as i agree this place does seem more dead lately. Maybe it's just because the communities old, and people have moved on.
However that's more of a depressing thought.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 pm

^ Every year SD goes through a dry spell and people think the site is dead then at some point picks back up. Been like that for years.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic