My Hotel Tonight Has an N64 Rental Service

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

My Hotel Tonight Has an N64 Rental Service

Postby mrandyk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I'm travelling all over the country on business, and have been to many cool places, but I just found my favorite hotel yet in the Holiday Inn Express in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Could not believe my eyes when I got into my room and this was waiting for me. It's not even like the hotel is outdated or anything either, it's very nice.

$7 per hour for games that came out in 2000 or earlier is a bit much, but I still had two hours of bliss playing Starfox, Excitebike, Mario Tennis, and a little Mario 64. 2013 and this still exists. Awesome.

mrandyk has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, TwiceFriedRice, Yama
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: My Hotel Tonight Has an N64 Rental Service

Postby Rakim » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 am

That's badass. I'd run up several hundred dollars on Dr. Mario.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 am

Not my console of choice, but the fact that they do that is still pretty badass. Almost seems like respect for the old dogs.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 am

Never ran into any of those when I stayed at hotels.Always ran into these atrocious things instead...

Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 am

Ah N64, my heart still does and always will pound for you. My first true console love. In the end, the Playtation won over my mind, but my heart would not give you up. I can still remember getting a N64 with Mario Cart, only shortly after I was actually introduced to already impressive SNES version. Needles to say, I was blown. No, not blown away, I was blown, as in sky high and buzzing over a potent dosage of Mario Cart in it's most perfect form. And then there was Mario 64. I don't like mario, seriously, he angers me, so I think it speaks volumes when I say that I loved that game wholeheartedly. And then there was Zelda OOT, which nothing needs to be said about obviously. And Golden Eye, oh my sweet Golden Eye, how your proximity mines blew me away both literally and figuratively. And then there's Turok 2...well OK that one was crap, but it got good review scores, and that made it seem like it was good while we all deluded ourselves. And that cheap Metal Gear clone game, I loved that game, for almost no reason that I can fathom aside from having another game that let me press up against a wall. And BLAST CORPS, what an under appreciated beaut you were. And SHADOWMAN, technically a terrible game, but it's premise was pure gold.

Nothing but love for the N64 (the 64 stood for 64 "bits", brilliant!). After that, the gaming world got all pretentious with disks, internet and emotion engines. I couldn't and still don't understand any of that; I just want someone to tell me how many damn "bits" a console is! Save all your Digital Foundry stuff, just tell me the "bits"!!!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:07 am

I hope I never find one of these on a trip somewhere, as there's a solid chance I'd never actually leave the hotel.

Super Mario 64 was a seminal gaming moment, so much so that I even persevered with wholly unsuitable D-pad controls to complete it again on DS.

One day when I get my N64 hooked back up, I'll have to find a copy of Blast Corps. Always heard encouraging things about it but never tried it myself.

I look forward to revisiting the Banjo-Kazooie games too, though I should probably download the tarted-up XBLA remakes instead.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby CodingGenesis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 am

Now that is great, an N64 in a hotel room. Nice one. I still play N64 every now and then. The last game I've completed (once again) was Super Mario 64 (but this time the Japanese version, because the translation here and there kinda sucks). I can really recommend Blast Corps, what a game. It can be tough sometimes, but it still is a great and fun game to play. (still trying to get the last platinum medals)
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 pm

That sounds like they haven't updated in quite awhile. I do remember hotels having N64 consoles at one point, but I have vivid memories of them having SNES/Genesis games and a wonky SNES controller.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Still have fond memories of Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64.

Still to me the best games on the system are Sin and Punishment,<ischief Makers and Mega Man 64. Oh and one of my favorites Jet Force Gemini. Still love Turok 2 as well.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Glad to see some love for Mario Kart 64. The majority of opinions I read online are derisive, with people comparing it unfavorably with the SNES original. Personally I prefer it by a Donkey Kong country mile.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Neat find, but $7 an hour? :shock: And people think $15 a month for a mmo is bad. :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Sega Saturn rental service or bust.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm

ThyDarkAngel wrote: Sega Saturn rental service or bust.

Why limit yourself.Play all the consoles!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:31 pm

:p

I've been playing as many as I can since I was a wee lad.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby mrandyk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:21 pm

The analog stick felt like a virgin still. I hadn't had an N64 controller feel like that in many years, most of them are just garbage now. I think I would have been satisfied enough just feeling that stick.

mrandyk has received 3 thanks from: mue 26, Sonikku, Stocke
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to General Gaming