Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:40 pm

^ Yup, It just came out this year for 3DS. PSP version I never played which came out in 2009.

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: south carmain
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I caved and bought the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition for PS4 so I can continue my PS3 game with a few extra benefits of the PS4 release! And while I was there I saw they had Uncharted 3 GOTY Edition for $11 so I couldnt pass that up either since I havent played that game yet.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Concept seems interesting and people have been saying good things about it.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:50 pm

A new FMV game called Contradiction, people say it's pretty cool.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ÐÃ ß×® » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Journey

Although I'm getting it for free so it's a purchase that I already paid for years ago. It came out for the PS4 today so I'm downloading it.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the Game of Thrones season pass as well. NOT FOR FREE. :D

ÐÃ ß×® has received a thanks from: Axm
ÐÃ ß×®
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:35 pm

Journey it's a realle lovely game.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:10 am

Finally got around to ordering the pal version of this. Been meaning to for so long. No idea why it's taken until now.

Also Payday 2, some Warhammer 40k stuff, Lisa, and South Park: The Stick of Truth.

OL has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Bambi
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:31 pm

:P
after coming to terms with MY OPTIMUM FUCKUP buying an excellent condition wiu (premium package, piano black 32g embedded flash) and having a nightmare in the pointless miiverse setup, decided to package it back up, wrap it in polyurethane, and use the thing as a door stop. (pending hard/soft modifications. i'll RIP their EULA's/TOC's APART, and shit em out!) decided to treat myself...again. :mrgreen:
for ten gbp, all-in, what i got is: (PAL-EUR)
1, kameo for 360, in complete state, just the game housing case needs a bit of a clean, outside that, disk, user manual and game label are in great condition.
2, metroid - other m for wii, it's as if this is brand new, has it's online trial card intact, UNREDEEMED! (irrelevant. wii took a shit off grid, no longer supported, not that i would be a twat and do that sort of thing anyway.)
3, namco museum - remix for wii. like above, but no online trial card present. (no matter, game is complete anyway.)
4, new super mario CRACKDEALERS - wii. like metroid, ALL there.
not a bad day for ROMS today.
may dump em and share at some point?!
on my time, naturally! 8) :mrgreen:
[edit]
typo.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

-

Postby danny » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:16 am

-
Last edited by danny on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:26 pm

OL wrote: Finally got around to ordering the pal version of this. Been meaning to for so long. No idea why it's taken until now.

Haven't played this one yet, let me know how you like it.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Bambi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Great purchase. Am doing my best to stay out of this topic until I've finished saving. :cry:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:25 pm

*Kenshin Himura* wrote:Haven't played this one yet, let me know how you like it.

Finally got it and played a couple hours today. I really like it, although the atmosphere certainly feels a good deal different from the preceding games. Part of it is that the time period is a little different, and part of it is that it's visuals are much more colorful, but there's more to it than that.
Earlier ones had anachronistic elements and a bit of goofy humor, sure, but it was all kept at a level that still allowed it to feel at least vaguely historical as a whole. But this one just throws caution to the wind and goes nuts with everything. To some extent, it's a welcome dose of humor. But at the same time I've always liked the series for being one of the only legitimate "samurai simulators" out there, and the goofy stuff definitely hurts that rep a bit.
For example, one of the foreigners in the game is named Jet Jenkins, and another is named Melinda Megamelons (yeah, seriously). Mr Jenkins, despite being an officer in the British navy, wears a number of earrings and has straightened silver hair, buzzed on one side like he's Rihanna or someone. Ms Megamelons meanwhile wears a full suit of golden plate armor, which is just... out of place.
Likewise even though they're really fun, the minigames are just insane. You can be tortured if you get arrested, and the torture minigames are incredibly, ridiculously, insanely over-the-top. Likewise, talking a girl up results in a "stealth" sequence dubbed "Sexy Time" when you paw at their clothes until they're undress, at which point they give you your "reward."
This stuff is all hilarious and silly and fun to play, and of course I love it for that... but all the same, I'd really like to play a samurai game where I can just create a character and feel like I'm Nemuri Kyoshiro or Sanjuro Kuwabatake, and just play through a serious samurai story with no goofy frills. The first three games were a little closer to that, while this one is a borderline comedy.
So yeah, I guess I'm sort of half-and-half on this one. I think it's great, but I'd still like to see the series backstep a bit to what it was originally conceived as.

Also, if they make another, they really need to increase the options at the beginning of the game for character creation. Three faces, three hairstyles, and a single outfit to start with just doesn't cut it anymore. I know Acquire is a pretty small studio, but investing in a decent character creation system would really make things a helluva lot more appealing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Game related purchase - 'Art of Grasshopper Manufacture':

It collects all of the concept art that Suda has from various artists that have worked with him over the years. The book contains commentary from Suda and all of it is translated into English at the back of the book. Some very interesting insights on what went on over the years. Like that he didn't want to make a Fatal Frame game, but was coerced into it by his good friend, Makoto Shibata (creator of Fatal Frame), since Suda is such a big fan of the series and how Suda playtests all of the games Grasshopper makes, himself, a practice that is surprisingly pretty rare by a lot of game creators in Japan nowadays.

In the book, Suda says that instead of porting The Silver Case, he wants to "remake" it instead. Hmmm.
Lots and lots of info for all of Grasshopper Manufacture games with the entire thing written by Suda himself. He details how Shadows of the Damned went through 4 different script rewrites because EA were dicks to him and didn't let him create what he wanted to do in the first place [because they found his concepts and ideas "too weird" and rejected them over and over until they got someone else to direct the game, sounds like he hated working on Shadows of the Damned] and how the other publishers he's worked with since Killer 7 won't let him create what he really wants to.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 pm

:rotflmao:
GM/suda = killer7.
only game i've played of theirs, and was impressed to say the least! :mrgreen: