Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 am

^Where are you up to? I'm on Chapter 5 now. Game is frigging crazy.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:43 am

I'm super excited for Tuesday after seeing this. Let's just hope Amazon doesn't screw up my order like they did with bravely default. This isn't for sale anywhere other than fleabay now
phpBB [video]

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Where are you up to? I'm on Chapter 5 now. Game is frigging crazy.

I'm at the end of chapter 4, been alternating between it and a few others so I don't finish it too quickly. Its a blast to play so its hard to put it down.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 am

^^I really wanted that LE, but didn't even know about it until recently (when it was already unavailable everywhere). I'll still be getting the game, but I wish I could have gotten my hands on that novel and soundtrack.
I'll have to pay more attention when Tales games get released from now on. Don't want to miss out on any other LE's (it's great that the series is finally getting some shred of respect with their releases now).

Anyway, just came across quite possibly the greatest skit in the history of Tales. Was about to record it and upload it myself, but found that a thousand other people already had. A testament to its greatness. :lol:
(no spoilers btw)

phpBB [video]

This is one place where I'm actually kind of glad to have a good english dub for the game. Normally I would prefer the original Japanese voices, but I can't imagine a scene like this would work as well with a straight translation and subs. The magic of localization at work. :lol:
Rowan's voice actor is just too perfect in this.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:46 am

There are some better ones than that OL, just you wait ;-)

Jeez, what was that one scene where Milia starts talking about some book she read and was explaining how some people like to be tied and bound while being intimate O_O. That game is actually a begginers course on being kinky at certain parts lol

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm

It's kinda funny, as much shit as Tales gets for being cliche and all that, it's taking some pretty surprising turns with its characters. Sure, most of them fit one archetype or another, but the details are starting to make a real difference.
Stuff like Elize
turning all depressive around the Xian Du area, and Teepo basically being a loudspeaker for the thoughts she doesn't say herself.

She almost feels like the kind of character you'd find in a game like Nier or something after events like that. Not quite as hard-edged, but close. Really different, slightly dark, and interesting.
Likewise with Alvin
trying to make sure his mom is taken care of, so he outright blackmails Isla -- harshly, and with a smile at that -- to keep caring for her.
Not what you usually expect out of the "merc with a heart of gold" character.
I don't mind the Tales series hitting the same basic beats each time (loved every one I've play through so far), but they managed to shake things up pretty well in this case. I'm sure it'll eventually get back to being all about friendship and joining together to fight evil -- the usual Tales endgame stuff -- and I'm fine with that. But it's surprised me so far, and that's a very good thing.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Yeah I was laughing when I saw the bozongas skit. Like AG said, that one is mild compared to some of the other in the game. Like how much the girls want your mana lol. I loved the voice acting in Xillia, especially Rowan like you mentioned. I'm glad that Tales isn't being brushed under the rug like it once was, and Namco finally acknowledges the audience they have here. Can't wait to see what they do with Xillia 2 and Zesteria

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:56 pm

I cut ass on the game, but its the first game since Phantasia that I genuinely like. No japes at how corny or gay it is (because Richard and Asbel have almost as many romantic scenes as with Cheria)

For a jaded and hateful Tales fan like me thats a hell of a compliment.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Raithos wrote:Can't wait to see what they do with Xillia 2 and Zesteria

Shit. Y'know, I hadn't even heard of Zestiria until now. Had to look up a trailer immediately.
Looks awesome.

phpBB [video]

Gorgeous. Surprising how big a step up the graphics appear to be from Xillia (which I already thought looked great). Interesting to see a slightly more medieval vibe going on, too. And I love what I see at 1:33. If the field areas are actually that expansive, it's really going to remedy the issue I went on about earlier, when I said Xillia actually seemed oddly smaller than its predecessors. That open field looks beautiful.
Was already hyped for Xillia 2, but this is up there now as well. Insta-buy if Namco is nice enough to localize (and being that it's a PS3 release, it feels a little iffy whether that'll happen, since everyone is trying to move into the next generation right now).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:11 am

Yeah OL there are some important parts with alvin coming up, he is actually a fantasic character. This game honestly reminds me of a well written anime. Whos perspective did you start with anyway?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:40 am

Jude. Figured he's more along the lines of the standard male protagonists from the rest of the series, while Milla must be like the required "chosen one" girl that seemingly every Tales game has (though obviously much more competent in a fight). Seemed more natural to see things through Jude's eyes.
Also loved the fact that he's all hand-to-hand. I know it's not considered the greatest of Tales games (and I still haven't finished it) but I remember thinking that the coolest thing about Tales of Legendia was that Senel (the protagonist) was a martial artist rather than a swordsman. I love little change-ups like that, and it's proven to be really fun in this case.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Hoping the US version of South Park is region free now

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/south ... he_uk.html
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:23 pm

phpBB [video]

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 pm

I think I'd be more into it if it wasn't about saving the president. I say let the politicians burn.
Except for Mike Haggar. Best mayor ever.

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:26 pm

There so much I want to say to that but its all spoilers
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming