Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:57 pm

yeah but it has been full since quite some time now, most of my saves weren't on there.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:24 pm

I dunno why, but i'm pretty attached to the Playstation brand for some reason.

Might have to do with the fact Nintendo and Microsoft massively let me down in some ways. And Tekken is best played on the PS controller.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 pm

^^I suppose I am too, but it's all with good reason.
Nintendo's in-house properties mostly don't excite me much (barring Zelda and maybe Kid Icarus), and their home consoles almost always disappoint; I probably have fewer games for all Nintendo consoles combined than I have for the PS2 alone. They put out great handhelds, but the games on them that interest me most are usually third-party anyway. Nintendo aren't bad by any means, but they just don't do a whole lot that appeals to me.
And I view Microsoft with almost no respect at all in the console market; they survive on trends, put out exclusives that do almost nothing particularly inventive whatsoever, and they haven't done a damn thing to advance the industry since the original Xbox. There are some games that I truly love on their past consoles, but none of it is due to Microsoft giving a shit about creativity and fun. If anything, they hinder creativity; they refused to bring Phantom Dust to the west, for example, because it was too Japanese (or somesuch other bullshit). It's great that Majesco picked up their slack in that case, but it showed that Microsoft didn't give a damn about new, interesting experiences. And really, they haven't changed much at all since then. Everything they do strikes me as the confused actions of an old man, squinting with his glasses on the tip of his nose, trying to figure out what's considered "hip" with the young'ns these days.
Meanwhile Sony, for whatever faults they may have, actually fund and release many, many interesting, creative, and sometimes even artful games to the market that likely no one else would have the nuts to put out there. Games like Journey, Ico, SotC, Folklore, Gravity Rush, Jumping Flash, Siren, Rule of Rose (which had some hurdles to jump over, for good reason), and many others... it's hard for me to imagine any of these being backed by any other console makers, and all of them were brilliant experiences for me personally.
And yeah, I do prefer their controllers over anyone else's.
I just feel that they do more for the industry as a whole than the other two, and they not only keep a finger to the pulse of what the gaming community might want at any given time, but they also take risks which pay off for gamers who want something different.
In the absence of Sega in the console market, Sony are easily the best.

Oh, and also, I just saw a commercial for Bloodborne on TV.
On freakin' TV. In the US.
Don't think I ever expected to see a From Software game being prominently advertised like that. Good for them.
And again, another exclusive getting deserved backing from Sony.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Jesse, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Kenny wrote:I dunno why, but i'm pretty attached to the Playstation brand for some reason.

Me too...
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Beautifully put guys.

Though having free internet on my PS3 is still a cool thing too as opposed to the $50 or however much it was to maintain XBL. Not that the new subscription fee for PS4 is something to root about, that shit actually costs more than maintaining an XBONE account for a year.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 pm

The PlayStation Now Beta will go live in the UK in the spring. I've applied..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Can't wait to haul ass home and rip open my copy of Type-0 so I can play the FFXV demo lol. Its been delivered already! Sad that I am more excited for the demo than the game it came with. Stoked to play it as well but the demo comes first.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Raithos wrote: Can't wait to haul ass home and rip open my copy of Type-0 so I can play the FFXV demo lol. Its been delivered already! Sad that I am more excited for the demo than the game it came with. Stoked to play it as well but the demo comes first.

Yeah, I think I've got basically the same mindset about it. Type-0 looks great (interested to see how a slightly more "mature" Final Fantasy will play out, if the rumblings are true), but that demo is gonna suck me in first.
I skipped getting it immediately though. I'll definitely get it a bit later, but I figure with Bloodborne coming next week, my schedule will be full enough as it is.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:40 pm

OL you realize the demo only comes with the first batch of copies right? If you want it, I would suggest buying it now if you havent already other wise you are out of luck.

Speaking of that very demo, I was just playing it, I gave up after not being able to get passed the "parry" part of the battle tutorial, no idea what im doing wrong, I achieved the parry one time, on accident... so my usual luck goes. The fighting part seemed interesting, but I need to get this battle system down, if im to truly sink my teeth into this demo. I'll come back to it later, right now i think ill just jump into Type-0.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:58 pm

lol. We're all Sony fanboys on here, it seems.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:OL you realize the demo only comes with the first batch of copies right? If you want it, I would suggest buying it now if you havent already other wise you are out of luck.

Yup, it is indeed first run copies receiving it only, so hopefully (and luckily for him) he'll be able to play the demo later, if Square-Enix over ship their production line. He may get lucky though, since Square do tend to over ship their games by a fair margin.

OL wrote: ^^I suppose I am too, but it's all with good reason.
Nintendo's in-house properties mostly don't excite me much (barring Zelda and maybe Kid Icarus), and their home consoles almost always disappoint; I probably have fewer games for all Nintendo consoles combined than I have for the PS2 alone. They put out great handhelds, but the games on them that interest me most are usually third-party anyway. Nintendo aren't bad by any means, but they just don't do a whole lot that appeals to me.
And I view Microsoft with almost no respect at all in the console market; they survive on trends, put out exclusives that do almost nothing particularly inventive whatsoever, and they haven't done a damn thing to advance the industry since the original Xbox. There are some games that I truly love on their past consoles, but none of it is due to Microsoft giving a shit about creativity and fun. If anything, they hinder creativity; they refused to bring Phantom Dust to the west, for example, because it was too Japanese (or somesuch other bullshit). It's great that Majesco picked up their slack in that case, but it showed that Microsoft didn't give a damn about new, interesting experiences. And really, they haven't changed much at all since then. Everything they do strikes me as the confused actions of an old man, squinting with his glasses on the tip of his nose, trying to figure out what's considered "hip" with the young'ns these days.
Meanwhile Sony, for whatever faults they may have, actually fund and release many, many interesting, creative, and sometimes even artful games to the market that likely no one else would have the nuts to put out there. Games like Journey, Ico, SotC, Folklore, Gravity Rush, Jumping Flash, Siren, Rule of Rose (which had some hurdles to jump over, for good reason), and many others... it's hard for me to imagine any of these being backed by any other console makers, and all of them were brilliant experiences for me personally.
And yeah, I do prefer their controllers over anyone else's.
I just feel that they do more for the industry as a whole than the other two, and they not only keep a finger to the pulse of what the gaming community might want at any given time, but they also take risks which pay off for gamers who want something different.
In the absence of Sega in the console market, Sony are easily the best.

Oh, and also, I just saw a commercial for Bloodborne on TV.
On freakin' TV. In the US.
Don't think I ever expected to see a From Software game being prominently advertised like that. Good for them.
And again, another exclusive getting deserved backing from Sony.

To be fair though, Sony refused to publish Demon's Souls in territories outside Japan. If it wasn't for ATLUS USA, there would be no Dark Souls or Bloodborne. So it's not like Sony are perfect, they're just as flawed as the other two. Do I prefer Sony to Nintendo and Microsoft? Hell yeah, but let's not evangelise everything they've done. Look at the mess at Team ICO, for example, or Amy Hennig's weird departure from Naughty Dog. Their 1st party offerings haven't done much for me lately, either. At least Microsoft funded some interesting games like D4, Killer Instinct and Crimson Dragon and perhaps a new brawler in BattleToads and a new Phantom Dust (which similarly to Sony admitting they messed up with not publishing Demon's Souls anywhere else outside Asia, Microsoft admitted they fucked up with Phantom Dust, heck the head of Microsoft Games, Phil Spencer is a fan of Phantom Dust and Yukio Futatsugi, he's pretty much the reason why we have Crimson Dragon and a new Phantom Dust existing). It's cool if you're not into those games, though. Regardless though, it is definitely a turn around from what went from Demon's Souls to Bloodborne - even Shu Yoshida admits they fucked up and regrets his decisions with Demon's Souls and is a big fan of Hidetaka Miyazaki's games now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Company higher-ups are always "big fans" of the cult stuff. It gives them cred with the "hardcore" (gag) crowd.

But no, don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to imply that everything Sony does is golden. Atlus also had to step in for Rule of Rose as well, for example, even though it was practically a first-party Sony game.
I just mean that in comparison to the other two, they've done a helluva lot more to support mature creativity in gaming. They don't just treat videogames as kid's toys (which is Nintendo's usual stance) and they don't just go where the obvious money is (which is usually Microsoft's gig).
There are exceptions in all cases, obviously, but I see Sony coming out ahead more often than the others.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:OL you realize the demo only comes with the first batch of copies right? If you want it, I would suggest buying it now if you havent already other wise you are out of luck.

Like Henry said, Square usually print a ton of the first batch, so I'm in no danger of missing out.
And even if it did somehow go into a second print before I get the game (which is really unlikely, since I'm only talking about putting off buying it for around two or three weeks), I could always go on ebay and get the exact version of the game I want anyway. It won't be a problem.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 pm

phpBB [video]

What the fucking shit did I just watch?

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: OL, Oppy, Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 am

Not sure, but Peter Dinklage with a mullet was the coolest thing I have seen all day.

EDIT:
phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:38 am

Was that... was that seriously Iwatani??
That's amazing.
I'm so conflicted... I see an Adam Sandler or Kevin James movie, and I'm automatically programmed to think "it's shit," but that actually looked pretty frickin' cool.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming