Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby OL » Fri May 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Totally random thing, but I just stumbled across this a minute ago, and it's a pretty impressive little detail in FFXII.
Not a texture or a 3D model, but an animation showing the rood inverse from Vagrant Story.

phpBB [video]

Very cool for fans of both games, I'd think, and something I never would have noticed on my own.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 pm

The level of detail in FFXII is really something else. I hope to god that the HD remaster finally gets announced this year at some point.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Fri May 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Square have to fill some time for an E3 conference so you never know. Wouldn't surprise me though if they port the Kingdom Hearts HD collection from PS3 to PS4 like they did with FFX first. After that I'd imagine it's quite likely as these re masters must be selling as we're getting tons of them (Not a bad thing I love it).
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Sat May 23, 2015 1:35 am

Henry Spencer wrote: The level of detail in FFXII is really something else. I hope to god that the HD remaster finally gets announced this year at some point.

I as well. The graphics of the game were better than X, but it actually looked horrible on my projector compared to X because they clearly lowered the resolution to make those graphics possible on limited PS2 hardware. Free of such constraints however, it could look phenomenal. While they're at it though, I do hope they make gil more plentiful. xII had to be the stingiest FF around when it came to the cabbage.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sat May 23, 2015 1:46 am

OL wrote: ^^From what I hear, The Evil Within is another case of lots of running away, so I get the feeling you might not dig it (haven't played it myself).
For me, survival horror games are rarely what I'd call "fun" from a gameplay perspective, but I usually love them anyway for the atmosphere, art design, stories, etc. Off the top of my head, I actually can't really think of any legitimate survival horror game that are much fun at all. Honestly, Resident Evil didn't become fun until RE4, and by that point the series was morphing into its modern, more action-oriented incarnation, which people claim isn't survival horror anymore. The previous game were all roaming between rooms trying to figure out which items work in which places; hardly what I'd call a blast to play. I think Fatal Frame tried to be fun, what with its twitch reflex camera operation and all, but the atmosphere and gameplay are still too focused on keeping things scary to allow for much "fun." It's just too heavy for that.
I think if a horror game allows itself to be too enjoyable, then it loses a big part of its atmosphere and edge. That's not a criticism, it's just a reality of the genre, I think. You go into it to be scared, not to have a rollicking good time. Just the same as how you watch a movie like Schindler's List to feel something, not necessarily to be entertained.

So yeah, if you mainly play games for fun, I totally understand if survival horror isn't really your thing.
That being said, Haunting Ground is a favorite of mine, but I personally tend to love games that force you to run away. It's all about the tension of the situation. Plus, Haunting Ground in particular has a great story, amazing art design (Capcom at the top of their game, really), and enough originality in its gameplay to keep it interesting (I love the dog-training mechanics, and Hewie is one of the greatest dogs in videogaming ever).
So y'know, different strokes, different folks, but I still get where you're coming from regardless.

Funnily enough, Resident Evil 2 I find to be extremely fun gameplay-wise, as I've beaten that game more times than I can count and it never gets old.

Anyway, the reason I was interested in playing the game was because I heard you talk about it at some earlier time. I still want to play it, but considering my moods, it may be something best to play along-side someone else. The running away goes from annoying to fun/funny by simply adding another person to play with. So I think I'll bring it over to a friends house and try again, since it does look really interesting.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Sat May 23, 2015 12:39 pm

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Thief » Sat May 23, 2015 3:37 pm

I have a feeling that these kickstarter revival games are just going to be flops -- critically I mean. Sure, they've raised a lot of money, but how much of that is because of nostalgia? I fear the developers will eventually put out games which inevitably won't live up to either the hype or people's memory. I'd love to be wrong, and maybe they'll be the best shit ever, but from what I've seen (mostly from mighty number 9), it all just looks very ehh and the only reason people are so invested is because 1.) it's like something that they know/are familiar with and 2.) because they are invested behind the project (either financially or through promises made by the developers). I'm not sure how I feel about this whole kickstarter thing, to be honest. So many people are saying it's "the future of the games industry", but instead, I see it leading to failure when the fans end up being let down by something they've become so invested in. Only time will tell, though.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 23, 2015 3:41 pm

It's giving ventures to genres that are now considered dead like 3D platformers, 2D Metroidvanias and Mega Man style action platformers. It's also given life to Yasumi Matsuno's next game (which is a SRPG) and quite frankly, with the current system in the game industry where these game publishers are refusing to fund such projects nowadays, it's only a good thing, I say. Variety is a better option than what the AAA games industry is wanting to provide (which is very little variety nowadays).

You can't blame these game creators for turning to Kickstarter and their fanbase for help making what they want to make. If anything, it's a great way for these game creators to interact with their fans and also to get the opportunity to get what they want to make in this harsh game creating climate we have now. There is no middle ground anymore. Either you do what the AAA industry tells you make or you go indie (where you need good self funding and be able to do practically everything yourself). Kickstarter are giving life back to the mid-tier games we lack now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat May 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Speaking of Matsuno's new game, I've heard that his involvement is very limited and they've yet to give an update in quite some time. I'm very skeptical about that release -- and the legitimacy of kickstarter investments in general.

Regardless, I agree that it is at least giving the opportunity for games of these genre's to continue, I just don't know if the approach is ideal and if it will end up being bad in the long-run. It sounds good at first, but the failure of these games could not only lead to uncertainty towards the genre from a developer viewpoint, but also from a consumer viewpoint -- if the games don't live up to expectations then such projects may not be able to get further funding and in general gamers may be unwilling to pay.

I don't know, the games industry is going in an interesting direction, and while I know there are people who genuinely enjoy these types of games, I suspect many of these project backers are either rich nostalgic ex-gamers trying to relive a memory or ambivalent $5 supporters caught up in a similar nostalgic hype.

AAA sucks right now, both in movies and video-games. We are stuck in a world of sequels and even these developer love-projects are a retreading of old-ideas. Promising to deliver what's familiar rather than new ideas and interesting concepts. I don't know if I like this and I think it will eventually backfire when people realize that they already have 20 mega man games, or whatever.

I don't know what's going to happen in the future of video-games, but I don't think this can keep up forever, and I don't know if kickstarter is quite the answer.

Thief has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Yeah, I backed Matsuno's new game and at first his involvement wasn't that much, but as it turned out, he pretty much redesigned the entire game from the ground up (instead of being a card strategy game, it's now a SRPG on a hex grid) and the entire story/world lore is being written by Matsuno himself and let me tell you, it's already in that specific style that he's a real master of [we get email updates regarding the story and it sounds really good]. I'm privy to this information due to being a backer and they just updated us a month or two back for the first time in months - the game's aesthetic is in line with Matsuno's previous works, mainly thanks to Akihiko Yoshida's amazing character design work. Plus with Hitoshi Sakimoto in the composition chair, this is very much as close to a new Matsuno game as we've had in a long time (Matsuno is kind of a James Cameron or Stanley Kubrick of gaming - he hardly ever makes 'em, years and year in between each project, but when he does, I certainly take notice).

Here is the screens, the game isn't even in alpha stage yet, so it's taking them time:

I have heard that Matsuno is also working on other...things at the moment, whether they come to fruition or not is another thing entirely. Regardless though, I was incredibly skeptical of Unsung Story at first, but I have a good feeling it'll turn out very well now that the dev team are redesigning the entire game for Matsuno.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat May 23, 2015 5:12 pm

^^Looks pretty cool.

So I'm finding myself kind of impressed with Koei-Tecmo lately. So much talk of how the Japanese gaming industry is dying out, but these guys are still developing some great shit (without crowdfunding, I might add), and actually bringing it all westward.
Deception IV: Nightmare Princess (fuck. yes.), Samurai Warriors 4-II (not usually into these much, but this one looks ace), Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (holy shit yes). All coming west, all getting physical releases on the PS4.
Not to mention the recent release of Toukiden Kiwami, DOA5: Last Round, the Atelier series, etc. I'd mention the One-Piece: Pirate Warriors games too, but despite being Koei-developed, they're published by Namco (and yep, the third one is getting a physical release just like all of Koei's other games right now).
Just thought I'd throw out an applause to them. I'm planning on getting all three of their upcoming PS4 releases.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Yeah, they're really picking up the slack and pretty much bringing everything they have into English, their generosity knows no bounds, since a lot of those games will certainly bomb and they probably know that. There's also Fatal Frame V later on into the year, which I am really excited about (seriously, the second half of this year is just simply stacked with amazing games - MGS5, Arkham Knight, Star Fox, Persona 5 and Fatal Frame V, really anticipating them all, a lot)

There is definitely a good business venture involved for a company like Koei-Tecmo who do stand out against all of the other Japanese publishers who aren't willing to do what they are. When a company like that builds up this trust with its fanbase, they will reap the rewards from a returning fanbase and if they make "shovelware" like Dynasty Warriors over and over again which sells like hot cakes, which in turn funds the more niche stuff and it means we can get amazing stuff like Deception, Fatal Frame, Bladestorm and Nobunaga's Ambition in the West too, then by all means, carry on doing what you are doing, Koei-Tecmo, since it sure as hell works out well for me. :nice!:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Im not interested in any of those games, but I am glad at least one developer from japan is just doing their thing and saying to hell with everything else. I know those fan bases are small for those game series, but at least they are happy.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat May 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Pft, totally forgot to mention Fatal Frame and Bladestorm. Just more going for them I guess.
Normally I'd agree about Dynasty/Samurai Warriors pretty much being rehashed every time, but this new one actually looks... new. It seems like they've sped the action up a bit (taking a cue from the other "Warriors" games they've made no doubt, like Ken's Rage 2 and One-Piece) and made it flashier, while it's also supposed to be much more story/character-based this time around. It wouldn't have aroused my attention otherwise, but it actually looks much better to me than these games usually do.

Anyway, been meaning to post this.
My brother had a great idea a while back to do a T-shirt design (I forget which T-shirt site it was going to be for exactly). He asked me to draw something up combining Red Dead Redemption with Toy Story. I'd do the base drawing, and he'd photoshop in the color afterward.
We finished it a while ago, but we haven't done anything with it yet.
Anyway, just wanted to share what it looked like. I think it turned out pretty good.

ImageImage

^^Made the final one small, just because I'm not sure if we're still planning to do anything with it.
Of course we were aiming to make it as much like the actual cover as possible, so the claw game toys are in the background in place of the real cover's riders, and instead of the American flag, we put the Star Command flag. And the little ratings logo says "Play nice, we toys see everything." That was all my brother's work. Made me laugh when I first saw it.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Calshot, Kenny, MiTT3NZ, Oppy
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat May 23, 2015 9:01 pm

If you do more work on the detail and stuff, you'll have an instant viral image on your hands,
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming