XBox One[80]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: XBox One

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: It seems apart from the 24 hr thing MS now have a set up similar to Steam with some other stuff that itunes and the amazon stores use so small hope they also do some Steam like deals.

They have improved recent deals on the 360 but that could be just a fire sale type thing for long time owners looking to upgrade this year?

Michael Pachter thinks publishers might actually wait a few years to start blocking used games. Personally I think they should have just worked out something better with stores, For instance no game can be traded in for its first 3-6 months on sale.[Which is when it sells the most anyways]

The Xbox One does not have a similar setup as Steam and it is a lame and stupid argument. The only thing similar is that Microsoft have built a digital distribution service, but they also tie it to psychical media that casts the illusion of game ownership.

You can not play offline on Xbox One for more than 24 hours.
You can play offline on Steam indefinitely.

You can not play the same game on at least two Xbox One consoles at the same time.
You can play the same game offline with Steam on as many PCs as you want.

There will most likely not be major sales on Xbox One. (GOD are almost the same price as new games MONTHS after release)
There are deep sales frequently on Steam. Some up to 95% off.

There will most likely not be any such thing as a Humble Bundle on Xbox One.
There are weekly and publisher focused Humble Bundles where you can set your own price point, and decide where your money goes in which you can access your game on Steam.

DRM is always required on the Xbox One.
There are games that have zero DRM on Steam, and you can even launch them while Steam is not running.

Microsoft services are the only markets for those wanting to get their games on the Xbox One, thus blocking competition.
On Steam there are various markets that offer competitive prices, forcing Steam to compete and offer better benefits.

You most likely will have to pay for a subscription service such as Xbox Live to gain any of the “features” such as digital distribution, cloud saving, playing online.
Game publishers set subscription models on Steam, a lot of them free. There's free cloud saving, and every other such benefits that Xbox One does not offer.

The Xbox One will probably cost over 300$
Steam costs 0.00$

Consoles are not known for modding (at least legitimately), and the Xbox One won't be the place to do it either.
Steam encourages modding, has SteamWorks for publishers and other free tools for developers and consumers such as free source engines, free film makers, free game tools.

The Xbox One does not offer backwards capability.
Steam offers full backwards capability, the software you have now and before will likely run on any computer as powerful or more powerful than the one it was originally installed on.

But somehow Xbox One is similar to steam. Apples are similar to oranges too, in that their fruit. Aside from that they're completely different.

ShenmueTree has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, killthesagabeforeitkillsu, Stocke
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:03 am

I think once Playstation and Xbox go 100% digital we will start seeing sales, maybe not as cheap as Steam as they can get crazy but not the ridiculous pricing we see now. I never buy Arcade games as soon as they come out as any one I've wanted has been on sale within a few months and some at about half price. Xbox actually did a huge sale a couple of months back with loads of games under £10.

I wonder if in 5-10 years we will see companies do what EA have done with the online pass making all their games free and getting rid of the restrictions.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Tree my comments on Steam are what Ive read on other sites and in videos like this that say you cant loan games, no trading, purchase is final [unless you get what happened with that shitty zombie game last year].

phpBB [video]

The not being able to play the same game on 2 consoles at once has not been made clear. Some think that if you have more than 1 console in the house tied to a main console you will be able to but we have to wait and see.
MS have already said that if 1 person has gold in a household everyone gets it at no extra cost replacing the headache causing family pack.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

That to me sounds like you can play the same game at the same time from different consoles.

Forza 5

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:41 pm

phpBB [video]

None of them are happy
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Not many will be and the 24 hour thing really needs to change/go.

Basically just tells us that we are not trusted and some people will have the odd time that their connection goes down for more than 24hrs and of course if Live goes down? Shit storm. A month would have been fine IMO if they had to have it at all.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:57 am

GameStop up as Microsoft clarifies Xbox One policy
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gamest ... 013-06-07#

Rare just announced Kinect Sports Rivals. The Big tease game will be during the show which will have very little Kinect.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Nothing interested me. Very minor interest in KI but it's on a console I can't support and honestly it didn't look terrific. Also still too many awkward presenters.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:03 pm

That price.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I liked Killer Instinct! Project Spark, and Sunset Overdrive. Forza 5 was a bunch of BS. And 499$? WTF? No way.

They also didn't answer ANY questions as to DRM, used games, always online, etc. Cancelled all press interviews too. Shit is fucked up.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:18 pm

They have more shows planned during the week so they might [small chance] explain things in those.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:20 pm

$500? Who are they kidding?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:25 pm

$100 more than the 360 was at launch and £279.99 in the UK. £420 is such an odd price point :???: But its does look powerful so could be worth the price.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Impressions:

-That price is too high. Most people will not be so inclined to buy it at launch. And I personally wouldnt buy one for more than 300.
-Dead Rising 3 exclusive. Me and Yama were loving it until we heard it was exclusive. My thoughts are its going to be timed. It would be sad if a year from now its not on PS4. MS must have payed out the ass for that one.
-MGSV looks amazing. Probably the best part of that show. Thank god this is a PS4 game. The lighting, animations, graphics, sound, story etc all look so top tier that you cant compare it to anything else. MGSV so far is king above everything else right now.
-Forza 5 looks great. Too bad I wont play it. Not worth paying $500 for.
-The Halo thing was cool. What was that 5? Well looks good. Again though, not gonna pay $500 for that unless it blow my balls off.
-MS giving games away with Gold subscription ala PS Plus is a step in the direction they should of been having the last 7 years.
-lol the tank game on 360 looks great. Free and I already have a 360 so im in.
-That price doe..
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:29 pm

500$ for a console is stupidly too much money. Even is PS4 is 500$ it can go to hell. Would not pay more than 350$ for a system. 400$ is still the max. But I'm a poor who buys consoles new but slim lines at 250$ so fuck me.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:30 pm

The Halo trailer simply called it Halo so it might not be 5 or they are just getting rid of the numbers now. Liked the trailer and at first thought it might be Fable related.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming