The Philosophy Thread

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The Philosophy Thread

Postby mue 26 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm

I got the idea for this thread from being in the Entertainment section and mistakenly believing the Photography thread to be the philosophy thread. Upon releasing it wasn't a philosophy thread I simultaneously realised that I have a few philosophy essays I need to get done, and could really do with pilfering a few ideas. So let me start with what is pretty much the topic for my current essay: What is knowledge? Discuss.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: The Philosophy Thread

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 pm

mue 26 wrote: y: What is knowledge? Discuss.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knowledge

There you go.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Jeff » Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Philosophy majors in college. LMAO. There's an easy way to throw away six figures. Hi my name is Wildfire Forest, and I studied Philosophy for 4 years with a minor in gender studies. I don't know how I'm going to pay off all these student loans working at Starbucks, but I'll just put all my eggs that Obama's gonna take care of it. Yes he can!

Moving on, knowledge is knowing information, whether it's known documented information, or new information that has just been discovered.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Thief » Mon May 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Well according to Hume, if "matters of fact" are based on causality, and you can't have an impression of causation, then knowledge is in trouble. Since cause and effect comes from past experiences and past experiences are supported by the laws of nature, and our understanding of the laws of nature can only be supported by our past experiences, matter of fact knowledge becomes unobtainable. I hate infinite loops. They leave me stuck with pointless knowledge. At least I know that the bitter coffee is bitter.
Last edited by Thief on Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 pm

http://www.altairiv.net/Storm.html

Relevant portion.

"You can't know anything,
Knowledge is merely opinion"
She opines, over her Cabernet Sauvignon
Vis-à-vis
Some un-hippily
Empirical comment made by me

"Not a good start" I think
We're only on pre-dinner drinks
And across the room, my wife
Widens her eyes
Silently begs me, 'Be nice...'
A matrimonial warning
Not worth ignoring
So I resist the urge to ask Storm
Whether knowledge is so loose-weave
Of a morning
When deciding whether to leave
Her apartment by the front door
Or a window on her second floor.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Jeff wrote: Philosophy majors in college. LMAO. There's an easy way to throw away six figures. Hi my name is Wildfire Forest, and I studied Philosophy for 4 years with a minor in gender studies. I don't know how I'm going to pay off all these student loans working at Starbucks, but I'll just put all my eggs that Obama's gonna take care of it. Yes he can!

Moving on, knowledge is knowing information, whether it's known documented information, or new information that has just been discovered.

I think going to school simply for the practicality of it all is very boring and pointless. Passion strives my education, not some promise of a steady income from a lame ass career. Just my opinion though.

Thief has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, mue 26, Rakim
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 pm

@ Ryudo that Merriam Webster website did provide me with one unexpected jewel though: Knowledge used to be used to mean "sexual intercourse", what!? I actually quite like that though :lol:

@Jeff You wish your name was wildfire, the wildfires get the wildflowers. As for your definition, how do you know your knowledge is correct? Is all truth relative, or is some truth objective, if so, what kind of knowledge can you claim is objective? Or what about coherentist theory? Or can that only explain the justifications of belief? @Thief, do you really know that cofee is bitter, because your still relying on inferential beliefs, how do you know your tastebuds are not decieving you, ect, ect. I feel like I'm doing the work hereI really just want to pilfer...
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 pm

"the bitter coffee is bitter" was just an example of analytic knowledge :P I just meant to use an example that was tautological.

Yeah, you can't trust the senses (although I will). We could get over the whole senses thing, however, by talking about Descartes' rationalism -- at least some knowledge is accessible to pure reason without the aid of the senses.

cogito, ergo sum -- I think, therefore I am
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm

I'll have to look up tautological, I have no idea what the fuck that means :lol:

So if you can't trust your senses, what can you trust? Also could you please give me an example of knowledge accessible without the aid of the senses? I know shit all about Descart. Also do you think it's possible to have true knowledge without being able to justify it?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Going to Philosophy Majors and all that, I mean study what you want and what drives you...but also be aware of your career choice.

If you're studying to be a teacher, understand you won't get paid very well in some states. If you want to get in the Arts, then consider studying for a major you're interested in that you can get a steady job somewhere while doing the thing you REALLY want to do on the side. I didn't want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to NYU or anything for a Film or Drawing class. It's better to take a couple of classes in the summer or something, mostly for the networking.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm

I form my opinions and beliefs off of what I have experienced in my own life and not what others have written down in a book or text sometime in the past. I believe I am in control of my own destiny and fate, but the environment around me can compromise all that if im not careful.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby beedle » Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDEZ2h41t0I[/youtube]

beedle has received a thanks from: mue 26
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue May 07, 2013 12:11 pm

That link of Ryudo's is giving me some weird deja vu, did somebody else paste that definition of "Knowledge" here in the past few days?

Is this strictly question-in-post-one only, or are we allowed to pick at the differences between knowledge, experience and understanding?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:56 pm

^Go for it. Feel free to even philosophise on the tao of Shenmue if you want, lord knows some of my more long winded waffley Shenmue posts would feel at home in a thread like this :lol:
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby UnHoly Bible » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm

I knew something once, then I forgot.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Off Topic