Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:06 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Holy shit that's some atrocious voice acting.

I know that I'm stating the obvious here, but I haven't touched Shenmue 2 since 2008, so it's kind of jarring.

I've never played the X-Box Shenmue II so have never heard the English dub until now, but yeah that was pretty fucking tragic.

Is it worse that I haven't played Shenmue I or II all the way through more than once?

QWERTY has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 am

QWERTY wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: Holy shit that's some atrocious voice acting.

I know that I'm stating the obvious here, but I haven't touched Shenmue 2 since 2008, so it's kind of jarring.

I've never played the X-Box Shenmue II so have never heard the English dub until now, but yeah that was pretty fucking tragic.

Is it worse that I haven't played Shenmue I or II all the way through more than once?

Not really. I'm surprised though. I figured everyone here had played through both games at least a couple of times.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Giorgio » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Can someone identify what this watermark is from?

What "SD" stands for? Shenmue Dojo? Or is it "SO"?
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Giorgio wrote: Can someone identify what this watermark is from?

What "SD" stands for? Shenmue Dojo? Or is it "SO"?

only source for that image leads to shenmue master, ask them where they got it from
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby lavrentis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 pm

lavrentis has received a thanks from: Giorgio
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 pm

"Shenmue - Tom's Dance Loop (he's always groovin')" by David Brown

phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received a thanks from: BlueMue
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Keep it groovin' man!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:59 pm

A lovely beautiful article from a gamer's genuinely perspective.

"Yet Another Case FOR Shenmue 3 … Or At Least Release An HD Collection, SEGA" - http://www.ign.com/blogs/gurlwithbazook ... 1248979087
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby we420 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 pm

I always had this thought whenever I play Shenmue. Okay so Lan-Di killed Iwao for revenge, and Ryo is now seeking revenge on Lan-Di. So if Ryo kills Lan-Di ( I know Yu Suzuki explained he won't but still ) maybe Lan-Di's child will want to have revenge on Ryo, and Ryo's kid will.....and so on. I always thought about this and thought it would be funny if it was a long line of seeking revenge on one another.
we420
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Postby Giorgio » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:23 am

A decade ago when I first played Shenmue II, I did something I still regret... While Ryo is with Ren, you come to a spot, probably a basement, where there is a red colour iron door. You have to climb up to top floor if I remember correctly. I never opened that door, and that is what I regret... Why I didn't. Out of fear... Yes, I was 12-13 years old, still frightened by Chai's face et cetera. Years later, wherever I had a Shenmue flashback in mind, I were still wondering what could possibly be behind that door. Probably an arcade machine. It looked so suspicious, yet I didn't open out of fear something really bad would happen in the game... I have to rectify that. Need to play Shenmue II again and dare to open that door...
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Radar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 am

Giorgio wrote: A decade ago when I first played Shenmue II, I did something I still regret... While Ryo is with Ren, you come to a spot, probably a basement, where there is a red colour iron door. You have to climb up to top floor if I remember correctly. I never opened that door, and that is what I regret... Why I didn't. Out of fear... Yes, I was 12-13 years old, still frightened by Chai's face et cetera. Years later, wherever I had a Shenmue flashback in mind, I were still wondering what could possibly be behind that door. Probably an arcade machine. It looked so suspicious, yet I didn't open out of fear something really bad would happen in the game... I have to rectify that. Need to play Shenmue II again and dare to open that door...

If this is what i'm thinking about, then Please! Stay away from that door!
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby we420 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Radar wrote:
Giorgio wrote: A decade ago when I first played Shenmue II, I did something I still regret... While Ryo is with Ren, you come to a spot, probably a basement, where there is a red colour iron door. You have to climb up to top floor if I remember correctly. I never opened that door, and that is what I regret... Why I didn't. Out of fear... Yes, I was 12-13 years old, still frightened by Chai's face et cetera. Years later, wherever I had a Shenmue flashback in mind, I were still wondering what could possibly be behind that door. Probably an arcade machine. It looked so suspicious, yet I didn't open out of fear something really bad would happen in the game... I have to rectify that. Need to play Shenmue II again and dare to open that door...

What are you thinking?? What's behind the door?
we420

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Postby Giorgio » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:31 pm

THE PURSUIT OF REALITY
GameWEEK: What kind of feedback have you been getting so far from Shenmue players in your country?

Yu Suzuki: The fourth disc in Shenmue -- the Passport disc -- lets users go online to the Shenmue homepage and allows us to receive data from those users. We are getting a lot of feedback. Only one out of 30 responses has been negative. With the Passport disc, users can go in and leave specific comments regarding what they liked or what they did not about the game through the BBS we have in place (this will likely be the case with the U.S. version of Shenmue as well -Jim). Some users are telling us they would like the control to be improved in Shenmue 2. I will see to this.
Source: http://fasinfun.blogspot.gr/2010/03/my-yu-suzuki-interview-part-1.html

So, Shenmue Passport was also a way to collect data from players, so as to gather that, analyze it, extract conclusions and, through it, improve future releases of Shenmue games. I wonder why they didn't make one for Shenmue II...?
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm

we420 wrote:
Radar wrote:

What are you thinking?? What's behind the door?

Don Nui. Cut scene has both Ryo and Ren beaten up again and you have to reload the last save. Funny how tough they made him in cut scenes but in the actual fights he is easy.

The 2 times in 2 that the screen fades during fights really pissed me off. Such a cheap tactic.
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby BlueMue » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Giorgio wrote: So, Shenmue Passport was also a way to collect data from players, so as to gather that, analyze it, extract conclusions and, through it, improve future releases of Shenmue games. I wonder why they didn't make one for Shenmue II...?
I don't know if he ment that there is a direct connection. The game does log a lot of data, that you can look up on the passport disc and it also had online leaderboards.
But Yu also mentioned that you could give feedback through the disc, basically by going to the Shenmue website with it.

Anyways it does make sense that they took the input from the players to improve certain aspects of Shenmue II. And it's not just big things like the faster pacing, save everywhere or time skip. Subtle things like the switching of the standard controll layout of the L/R triggers must stem from the feedback aswell. I can only speak for myself and say, that I switched the controlls very early on the first time I played the game and I think a lot of people did that, thus the change in Shenmue II. This could be an indication the might've really collected a lot of player information.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue