Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby BlueMue » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Well, the last time I was on one of those appartment stairs it was with the walk on air glitch and there you can definately "take" the stairs step by step and turn around. But since Ryo isn't touching them and just get's pushed up higher it doesn't count. So yeah, I was definately confused there but the image of Ryo going these down on his own came back now.

The increased speed of the capsule toy machines really makes buying toys a lot faster and more enjoyable. Just another little detaill where they improved the game mechanics in Shenmue II. Well that goes for almost everything. I wish they kept a few more thing from the first game though. They really should've included playing pool as another form of gambling.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Radar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Fact. You can't move more than 6 crates, after 6'th crate you'll get black screen until you unfreeze time :)
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

That one always annoyed me. I wonder why it's not possible to finish all 8 crates. I mean they even have the Mr. Sun's lines for 7 and 8 crates recorded, so why is 6 the limit...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Did you know that you can get away from the guards when they chase you in the old warehouse district (when you search for Warehouse No. 8 )? They are like "He's got away?"

While testing some things out for nulldc's performance, I found out about it. I always wondering if you really can...

Here's a video of it :D
phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby nskachu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 pm

^Nice! Still so many unknown facts about the game.

Does anyone have a video of the sunrise in Shenmue 1 when Ryo's searching for sailors?
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 am

I like how you can get away from the security guards. I knew about that, discovered that a few years ago, but it's nice to see it getting mentioned here. On my recent playthrough the last few days I did that once for fun while wasting all the days until Shozo gives you all the hints. I have to say that the guards seem a lot easier then all those years ago when I first played the game. They are sometimes so slow that they don't even catch up to Ryo running at half speed. Had to stop so I got caught.

Did you know that you can actually execute the whole moves during the teaching of the Double Blow, Shadow Step, Swallow Flip and Tornado Kick when you're supposed to just do the steps first? The person who teaches you will react impressed upon Ryo's quick learning of the move. Did that wherever possible during my recent playthrough, was something new for me.

About the sunrise. Is it actually possible to stay awake that long during the search for the bars? I know you can stay up well into the night but afair you still get teleported back home at 3 or 4 a.m.

One more thing. Does anybody know if the Shenmue Dojo channel or anyone else on YouTube has the "Shamisen version" of Shenhua's theme uploaded? It's a very short loop that plays close to the vending machine besides the Ajiichi during the new year's week. I never heard that until my recent playthrough as I usually always finish the game before that point in time and I found that quite interesting. I think it should go into the Dojo's channel's music collection to make it absolutely complete, if it isn't uploaded yet.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Giorgio
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 am

I'm surprised it's a secret. Time it right and you can run from point A, get spotted, and just slightly before you reach Point B they decide you "got away". As a stealth game fan, I was always disappointed by this segment.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:29 pm

I were always getting caught by the guards before. :P

SpinDash wrote:Did you know that you can actually execute the whole moves during the teaching of the Double Blow, Shadow Step, Swallow Flip and Tornado Kick when you're supposed to just do the steps first? The person who teaches you will react impressed upon Ryo's quick learning of the move.

Personally I did not know that. I have to try that the next time!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:41 pm

^Yamagishi mentions that Ryo is just like his father & Shozo Mizuki (homeless guy) is notably impressed also. Do you know about the secret fight outside the apartment in Dobuita with Enoki and Nagashima (and two other gang members)? It's one most people would miss, since there is no reason to go there.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Giorgio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:18 pm

There is a discussion going on at NeoGaf, as "What was so great about Shenmue?"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743839
Still in the first pages of NeoGaf, with most of them being awesome replies.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Something about the sword handguard just went through my head.

I always asumed that Iwao gave it to Oishi to hide it so it's even harder to get to the hideout of the Phoenix Mirror.
But think about what Oishi said "He'd ask me to polish and look after it for him" and "It's given to the Hazuki heirs once they turn 18"

Well the day the game starts just happens to be Ryo's 18th birthday and I now think that Iwao actually gave the handguard away in order to prepare it for Ryo as a present.

Seems to make the whole "sword handguard is held in an antique shop thing" less meaningful when Iwao's intention wasn't to hide it? On the contrary! I think this makes it even more interesting as it's would be a really nice detail that had quite some thought put into it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Did you know 2014 shares the same calendar year as Shenmue in 1986?

2014 Calendar Download: http://goo.gl/PeMVRs

Ziming has received 4 thanks from: Axm, BlueMue, Giorgio, Rakim
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Ziming wrote: Did you know 2014 shares the same calendar year as Shenmue in 1986?

2014 Calendar Download: http://goo.gl/PeMVRs

Is Shenmue destined to resurrect itself in 2014? I sure hope so. :)

If it does, I will no longer believe in coincidences.

Destiny for the win. :lol:

ShenSun has received a thanks from: BlueMue
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Awesome! This is just the last puzzle piece for 2014 to definately become a big Shenmue year! :D
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:58 pm

SpinDash wrote: Something about the sword handguard just went through my head.

I always asumed that Iwao gave it to Oishi to hide it so it's even harder to get to the hideout of the Phoenix Mirror.
But think about what Oishi said "He'd ask me to polish and look after it for him" and "It's given to the Hazuki heirs once they turn 18"

Well the day the game starts just happens to be Ryo's 18th birthday and I now think that Iwao actually gave the handguard away in order to prepare it for Ryo as a present.

Seems to make the whole "sword handguard is held in an antique shop thing" less meaningful when Iwao's intention wasn't to hide it? On the contrary! I think this makes it even more interesting as it's would be a really nice detail that had quite some thought put into it.

Well the letter that Iwao leaves for Ryo suggests that he knew Lan Di was coming, and that he was coming soon. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have said to Oishi "I'm going to be murdered, so hang on to this and give it Ryo so he can find what my murderer is looking for", so he probably concocted a cover story for getting it away from the dojo.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue