Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Amir » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:25 am

rome wrote:
Amir wrote: Got 320 in Neo Darts in Shenmue II but no toy :( Just looked at a walkthrough and it says even for max score of 500 you don't get a toy in Shenmue II, oh well...

Just got to the harbor on my current playthrough and was killing time in the harbor lounge and decided to play a game of neo darts. This got me wondering if in fact you could win a toy once you hit a certain score, as I have never really looked into it much.

Pretty sure this is a first for me:
phpBB [video]

Trying to remember if I've seen this before, as i've always went through the window around back.

Never even knew you could do that! Sounds like the doors shut behind him? Doesn't really make sense...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby rome » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:55 am

Amir wrote:
rome wrote:
Amir wrote: Got 320 in Neo Darts in Shenmue II but no toy :( Just looked at a walkthrough and it says even for max score of 500 you don't get a toy in Shenmue II, oh well...

Just got to the harbor on my current playthrough and was killing time in the harbor lounge and decided to play a game of neo darts. This got me wondering if in fact you could win a toy once you hit a certain score, as I have never really looked into it much.

phpBB [video]

Trying to remember if I've seen this before, as i've always went through the window around back.

Never even knew you could do that! Sounds like the doors shut behind him? Doesn't really make sense...

Yes. Same as if you went around back. I've always thought they should remain open, if you went in during the day. Maybe a qte were you have to avoid getting caught or something.

After initially talking to the security guards and then trying to walk through, I went straight to the dojo to train, instead of continuing the story on that particular day.

Get to the harbor the very next day, and then that cutscene happened. Pretty cool.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Amir » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:07 pm

End of day Jan 23rd, finally maxed out Stab Armour. I now remember maxing out Iron Palm on at least one previous playthrough but looking to max out a few more now, Double Blow and Pit Blow are next I think. Anybody ever had any luck with Double Storm Kick? One FAQ I read online said they never managed to connect any kicks on enemies as they'd dodge it, I think I remember the same, will prob max out Tornado Kick instead.

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Cyberman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm

Amir wrote:
rome wrote:

phpBB [video]

I always thought that was odd to say the least.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr357 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Shenmue's canon sort of breaks if your third day or fourth day of work is on the 26th of December. Nozomi tells Ryo on the third work day that she's going to Canada, and she really doesn't seem that upset about it. However, on the 26th, you get that cutscene in Sakuragaoka park where she's crying about having to make the difficult decision of leaving Japan. At that point it's implied that she's not for sure going to Canada.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Miles Prower
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:10 am

Maxed out Double Blow. Having a bitch of a time trying to train Tornado Kick as it's hard to get the distance from Jianmin and stop him blocking it. Do you have to do both kicks to train up the move?

24th Jan, think I will play up until first week of Feb then move onto dusting books so I can max out the move scrolls you get from the priest.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 pm

:mrgreen:
sticking with a realistic theme...
cracked it!
aside playing on great cops/saturn games, ryo need a hobby, and i've just the ticket right here: (colour me impressed)
Code: Select all
http://photobucket.com/images/earthforce%20omega%20destroyer
^^ put that shit together M8, shows true focus and excellent craftsmanship. (you may have to ditch the bint if a severe distraction, unless shes down and dirty with it, or at least not an obstruction...then engage with whatever she's into. doubt it's bondage... :P )
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Amir » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Few more moves maxed out. It's Shenmue Groundhog Day.

Tornado Kick is a bitch to level up. Also found Elbow Assault a lot harder to pull off than in Shenmue I, can't tell yet if it's just because of sparring against Jianmin or they made it so you couldn't spam the move incessantly like in the first game.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:05 am

@Amir
another good way to level up moves is to take part in the 'wild man' street fight at 'Beverley hills wharf'. push the wild man to the edge of the arena so you don't accidentally hit him, then use the remaining couple of minutes to repeat the moves you want to train up.
if you want you can finish the wild man off before the time runs out and get the money as well!
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:02 am

johnvivant wrote: @Amir
another good way to level up moves is to take part in the 'wild man' street fight at 'Beverley hills wharf'. push the wild man to the edge of the arena so you don't accidentally hit him, then use the remaining couple of minutes to repeat the moves you want to train up.
if you want you can finish the wild man off before the time runs out and get the money as well!

I'm mostly doing this to pass time before Fangmei sidequest :P I'm only on 26th Jan...

Maxed out Tornado Kick, will do Swallow Dive and Twin Swallow Leap next. I'll prob start dusting books 1st week of Feb so I can get good at Duck Races and max out the moves I get then.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Remember when Ren and Ryo visit Yang at Great View Herbs, and Ren - in typical (lazy) Ren fashion tells Ryo to ring the bell? I knew that if you locked on to the bell but did not ring it, Ren gets extremely agitated and will eventually ring the bell himself. However I'm not sure if I ever bothered talking to Ren. You get some interesting discussion about Yang and the types of medicines he has. It surprised me that there are at least 3-4 unique exchanges before Ren says "Okay, enough talking. Ring the damn bell."

The most interesting tidbit was Ren talking about a certain herb that Yang has that actually started out as a bug that has a seed growing inside it. When the bug crawls into the ground/dies, the seed sprouts into a plant. It was called the Dongzongxiacao or something.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: The most interesting tidbit was Ren talking about a certain herb that Yang has that actually started out as a bug that has a seed growing inside it. When the bug crawls into the ground/dies, the seed sprouts into a plant. It was called the Dongzongxiacao or something.

This is the one he was talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Lan Di-sama
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote: The most interesting tidbit was Ren talking about a certain herb that Yang has that actually started out as a bug that has a seed growing inside it. When the bug crawls into the ground/dies, the seed sprouts into a plant. It was called the Dongzongxiacao or something.

This is the one he was talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis

Oh, you are the best! I wasn't able to find anything on it myself, but I knew it had to be factual if it was included in Shenmue.

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: Kiyuu
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Does the full uncompressed english audio version of Shenmue II for dreamast (the one with over a gig in size per disc) work well on NullDC without any complications? I'm considering giving my original xbox to my brother, and want to be able to play through Shenmue II in english in the future.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:25 am

On the day Ryo has to meet up with Charlie and receives the chinese letter he willl automatically teleport to Sakuragaoka and the ambush there when the clock hits 2:30 p.m. Interesting thing, the game actually "loads" the Construction Site.

BlueMue has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Giorgio, Miles Prower, ShenGCH, Yokosuka
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue