Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Zoltor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:22 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: That's why you can phone her in Shenmue 3. ;-)

Yea I know, I can't wait to phone her :)

To Shibiryo: Do you really think his part time job is enough to support both of them? I don't know, in general I never thought of Fuku as being the reliable sort, infact while I don't think Nozomi would ever be a good match for Ryo, I think she would be a perfect fit for Fuku(infact I would go as far to say, they're downright meant for each other).

Though it's never mentioned in the game (at least as far as I know), I think it's safe to assume Iwao gave martial arts lessons to students other than Ryo and Fuku-san, so that's probably how they made their living, and a pretty good living, too, by the looks of things. Furthermore, remember when Jimmy phones the house and Fuku-san answers with, "Hello - Hazuki Dojo?" Certainly sounds more official and business-like than a simple hello, so this lends credit to the Hazuki Dojo being a school where students paid for lessons.

I'm sure they're fine as far as money is concerned :)

You know I have always wondered that myself, Fuku maybe the only live in student, but I always had the feeling Iwoa took on more students then just Ryo, and Fuku(damn ingrates don't even pay their respects to their dead sensei).

However yea that could be the case, although I must say, I'm worried if Fuku is the one teaching them now(he seems even more fragile then Nozomi).

I believe Iwao mentioned in his will that he wished for Ryo to take over the dojo in the event of his death (on the day Ine-san gives Ryo the letter - just before giving it to him, in fact - she says something along the lines of, "Please respect Hazuki sensei's will and look after the dojo."), but the "will" might just be another word for 'wish', as opposed to an actual living will. I sure hope it's the former as Fuku-san is in no way qualified to look after a cactus, let alone train students in martial arts. Dude can't even perform a Pit Blow without slipping a disc :P

Yea it is likely the case, but Ryo is in China at the moment, so he can't be taken care of the Dojo matters.

Sigh yea me too, and lmao yea I can so see fuku managing to kill a cactus, Fuku him self is like a school pet.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Zoltor wrote:Yea it is likely the case, but Ryo is in China at the moment, so he can't be taken care of the Dojo matters.

Sigh yea me too, and lmao yea I can so see fuku managing to kill a cactus, Fuku him self is like a school pet.

My god, it all makes sense now... That rumour from years ago about Lan Di returning to the Hazuki Residence to burn it down... It wasn't Lan Di at all - it was Fuku-san somehow managing to start a fire watering the cactus.

FUKU-SAN IS ZIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:31 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:Yea it is likely the case, but Ryo is in China at the moment, so he can't be taken care of the Dojo matters.

My god, it all makes sense now... That rumour from years ago about Lan Di returning to the Hazuki Residence to burn it down... It wasn't Lan Di at all - it was Fuku-san somehow managing to start a fire watering the cactus.

Lmfao literally, that would so be him. He wakes up, probally still half asleep or even in his usual stuper, crabs a lantern/candle stick holder, thinking It's a watering can, and poof there goes 200-300 years of history gone in a flash.

Good job fuku, now you see what happens when you're left alone.

Luckily Ine is probally the one who would most likely be taking care of any plants around the place :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 am

Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Lmfao literally, that would so be him. He wakes up, probally still half asleep or even in his usual stuper, crabs a lantern/candle stick holder, thinking It's a watering can, and poof there goes 200-300 years of history gone in a flash.

Good job fuku, now you see what happens when you're left alone.

Luckily Ine is probally the one who would most likely be taking care of any plants around the place :)

If they stocked up on plastic plants, all Ine-san would need to do is give them a quick going-over with that duster thingy she has a particular obsession with every now and then and they'd be sorted :P

Fuku-san can stay in the dojo mastering the art of sucking at everything ;-)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:24 am

One of the reward tiers should of been an actual Shenmue Passport, Passport.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Amir » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Checked out a few sushi places for first time, impressed by detail:

Ryo seemed really excited about this "Flame Tree", what is it called in Japanese? I assume this is the same one as in the park with Jianmin and at the back of Man Mo Temple:

Finally got Kids Dural C, where does she appear in VF Kids? What's the deal with the fish? :P :

Will we finally see Ryo wielding a Chinese broadsword in Shenmue III? I read somewhere that one of the reasons they moved Shenmue development from Saturn to Dreamcast was that they thought the latter could better handle swordfighting that they wished to implement:

Amir has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Amir » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Spent an hour trying to win Darts Strike, finally won when baseball dude missed completely and I got just 1 bullseye.

Got Hang On Gold in just two goes, though (one of the boards by Jianmin, just stuck to the left when dropping ball). So shiny:

Have VF Completion capsule toys, just missing Super Sonic and Metal Sonic from Sonic the Fighters, gotta hit the Tomato Convenience Store.

Watched lunchtime taichi, I usually just see the old dude, didn't realise that sometimes there's a bunch of people practicing:

Amir has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnonBaiter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 am

Fuku-san just rivals myself in terms of logical thinking.
AnonBaiter
Banned
Banned

XBL: RacuousLeech01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby johnvivant » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:28 am

Suzuki: I think the way the game has been put together is pretty unusual these days. For example, the shop interiors have been created down to the last inch. I don’t think any other game pays such ridiculous attention to detail.

thank you Suzuki san! i really appreciate this aspect of the game.

Will we finally see Ryo wielding a Chinese broadsword in Shenmue III?

i'm curious about what he's going to do with the 'sword of seven stars' when he leaves the cave. Will he drop it off at shenhua's house on the way to bailu village? it would seem weird if he carried it around for any length of time. maybe Ryo will find a strap or belt of some sort so he can wear it around his back, like he-man. ;-)

i hope its not the seven stars sword he uses for the sword fight, its not very cool, imo, too decorative. maybe iwao left one of his samurai swords in china, which ryo can later find. samurai swords are super cool.

or does the seven stars sword just stay in the cave? shenhua's father did say to take it with them.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:41 am

just thinking about that phoenix mirror, or plate/dais.
what precisely is it?
what does it do in the right (or wrong) hands?
i know it's a relic of importance, but beyond that, if lan-di is willing to take lives for it, must be worth a fuck tonne, or it has a transcendental property allowing those of a fully focused mind (read that as: no room for anything else, including remorse or compassion) to draw upon a supernatural power of unknown nature and origin.
the two games so far show NOTHING in this regard, just that the plate is sought after.
is it a key to a specific lock, and what is locked if so?
for a relic, seems some are willing to cause serious trouble to get it, even travel the globe.
mad buckos there! :P
(it's a cudgel on the sly methinks. ryo just wants to replace lan-di's face with it. :rotflmao: )
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:27 am

Wow, that *is* nice detail on the sushi. Never thought to look that close before :D
By the way, Kids Dural C is an unlockable 'costume' for Dural in VF Kids, the fish actually floats in her head as seen here:

EDIT: Found a video as well:
phpBB [video]

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Giorgio » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:16 pm

A personal review of Shenmue's spirit, and interactive lifelike experience, by Stefan Homberger:

phpBB [video]

And the second part, as a more traditional review, by the same person: youtube.com/watch?v=h-omAEjicjU
phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Amir » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:15 pm

There's a couple of benches, one in South Carmain Quarter towards the Wise Men's Quarter exit and one in Man Mo Park, where people like to nod off before getting up and leaving. Didn't manage to capture the South Carmain one but I got this from a guy in Man Mo:

phpBB [video]

Amir has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:11 am

Amir wrote: There's a couple of benches, one in South Carmain Quarter towards the Wise Men's Quarter exit and one in Man Mo Park, where people like to nod off before getting up and leaving. Didn't manage to capture the South Carmain one but I got this from a guy in Man Mo:

phpBB [video]

Lol cool, I might've stumbled on this before, but I don't remember such. Hong Kong is not the best place to just nod off anywhere :)

It would be hilarious if they end up actually fully falling to sleep, and a bunch of street punks show up to pick them clean lmao
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:24 pm

The Hot Dog Truck is MINE:

Did anyone ever get an of these extremely rare Sega console capsule toys in Shenmue I? Never even heard of them until I came across them in the Neoseeker wiki yesterday:

http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Megadra_Brother

http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Gear-O

http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Sataro

http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Dreamcasko
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue