Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 am

SMDzero wrote: Why doesn't Ryo, Ine San and Ine-San exchange presents on Christmas morning???

I assumed it was a lean year at the Hazuki residence with the loss of their only dojo instructor and they couldn't afford such nice things as presents. In-San can't afford to even provide food for Ryo... the family never sat down for a meal either.

Why is the Hazuki family so poor? Ryo has to sleep in his only pair of jeans because his poor ass can't even afford pajamas! Whatever Iwao was pulling down with his dojo teaching (probably only 2.5 million yen per year) he really left the family in dire financial straights when he died.

I'm pretty sure there's no official explanation, but I can only assume Iwao's death knocked all the Christmas cheer out of them so they decided to forgo Christmas celebrations that year. Then again, no-one in the game really seems to celebrate Christmas outside of simply mentioning it in passing conversation judging by the fact that Dobuita is still packed with people doing their shopping and such.

This is worth a read: http://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/japan.shtml

The Hazuki family are far from poor. Everyone in Shenmue is a dirty bastard who never changes their clothes except for a handful on New Years Day ;-)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:54 pm

No I think EVERY YEAR the Hazuki household went without Christmas presents.

Let's face it.. judging from Iwao's pathetic display of his martial arts "skills" in his fight with Lan Di there's no way he could have properly trained anyone and thus had a bankrupt dojo.

Hell did Iwao even HAVE any students besides his indentured servant Fuku-San????
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 am

SMDzero wrote: No I think EVERY YEAR the Hazuki household went without Christmas presents.

Let's face it.. judging from Iwao's pathetic display of his martial arts "skills" in his fight with Lan Di there's no way he could have properly trained anyone and thus had a bankrupt dojo.

Hell did Iwao even HAVE any students besides his indentured servant Fuku-San????

Lan Di's fighting style and abilities simply trumped Iwao's. That's all there is to it.

Nothing has ever been confirmed, but it's pretty safe to assume Iwao was the sensei to a number of students who paid for their lessons - not to mention the fact that he was extremely well-revered by many people, so he had a strong reputation. They weren't able to live in the biggest, most luxurious house in the game and afford a housekeeper on air alone, you know :P
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Virtua Soldier » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:23 am

Hi, I'm new here. Quick Question:

What is this supposed to be? I've noticed this thing hanging in the New Yukosuka Harbor Cafeteria as well as in other shops. Is it supposed to be some kind of Japanese good luck charm?

Virtua Soldier
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:36 am

ShenGCH wrote:
SMDzero wrote: No I think EVERY YEAR the Hazuki household went without Christmas presents.

Lan Di's fighting style and abilities simply trumped Iwao's. That's all there is to it.

Nothing has ever been confirmed, but it's pretty safe to assume Iwao was the sensei to a number of students who paid for their lessons - not to mention the fact that he was extremely well-revered by many people, so he had a strong reputation. They weren't able to live in the biggest, most luxurious house in the game and afford a housekeeper on air alone, you know :P

I hope so. I'd hate to learn that Iwao killed Sunming Zhao over stolen food stamps or something.
I just think Iwao is poor... he has to wear is KARATE OUTFIT as regular clothes for crying out loud! The Hazuki "residence" doesn't even have a sink in the bathroom... the family has to use the kitchen sink to wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Also they have no bathtub or shower, no beds, and no food in the refrigerator except cat milk.

I'd say Ryo lived in abject poverty!

Iwao was "well respected" in the community because he begged on the street corner with a degree of dignity.. promising to give people "karate lessons" if only they'd spare him a dime.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Virtua Soldier wrote: Hi, I'm new here. Quick Question:

What is this supposed to be? I've noticed this thing hanging in the New Yukosuka Harbor Cafeteria as well as in other shops. Is it supposed to be some kind of Japanese good luck charm?

Dead link :???:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:58 am

This just struck me. What if Chai's nationality is from China? / What if he is not Japanese?

From everything we know, he could just have followed Lan Di(-sama) from his headquarters, sneaked into his private jet or something, and came to Japan with him, to continue his quest for approval into the ranks of the Chi You Men criminal organization.

Last time, he was on the same boat as with Ryo, doing his thing. And, now, we learn he will be in Shenmue III (Bailu, Baisha, Choubou), too. We can expect him to continue being the Chai we all "know" and "love".

That said, we may find his beautiful parents living there, and ask them to explain to us the reason behind his atrocity. Unless, if they try to suck all our blood or nom nom nom our heads, too. We may be surprised to find that Chai was a prodigious boy, that later turned into a skinhead by a terrible experiment from the mad magician of the village.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Welcome to the Dojo! Though I can't see the image you've linked, do you mean the Daruma doll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daruma_doll
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Virtua Soldier » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Kiyuu wrote:

Welcome to the Dojo! Though I can't see the image you've linked, do you mean the Daruma doll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daruma_doll

That must be it! Thanks a lot!
Virtua Soldier

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Ziming » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Rescue Mission - Borrowing Naoyuki's Bike Remix by LanDC

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Sonoshee
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Why doesn't Iwao have a bed? Does he not sleep? I guess that explains why Lan Di beat him so easily.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:09 am

Ine san surely knows where Iwao sleeps.

And I know you know what I mean Komine-san.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:54 am

Nah, everybody knows Ine-san is boning the straight up pimp daddy Yamagishi-san.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Mr357
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:13 pm

has anyone ever noticed the little concrete pillar with a red cross on the top? its located in dobuita at the exit leading to sakuragaoka (near liu barber). its on the ground near the stone wall, on the right just as you turn the corner.
is it a marker of some kind?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:52 pm

johnvivant wrote: has anyone ever noticed the little concrete pillar with a red cross on the top? its located in dobuita at the exit leading to sakuragaoka (near liu barber). its on the ground near the stone wall, on the right just as you turn the corner.
is it a marker of some kind?

Once upon a time, I made some crazy remarks about that...

ImageImage

and some...
ImageImageImageImage

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue