Playing Dreamcast on an HDTV

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Playing Dreamcast on an HDTV

Postby DreamcastPast » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 am

One thing to remember, the whole point of Sega making the 480P VGA box in the first place was to REMOVE the scanlines created by the limitations of conventional CRT television of the time that could only accept a 480i signal. It was designed to give you a picture that was not broken up by empty black lines with no picture data every other line, but actually contained UNIQUE image data for every line when connected to a CRT Monitor. So, by adding back scanlines after you have connected a VGA box means you are simulating the inferior CRT televisions 480i signal after you have just made it better with a 480P signal?! If a 480i signal with scanlines is all you want then why buy the VGA box in the first place, just buy an RGB scart cable and an old CRT television and, hey presto, you have clean 480i signal with native scanlines and without the expense of the VGA box. Like I said before, scanline generators are fine with 240 2D sprite based DC games as by the time they hit your monitor when using a VGA box they have had a duplicate of the line next to them added to bring it up to 480P, the extra lines of image data were never present in the game in the fisrt place to be lost, so adding black scanlines to every other line is only losing you a DUPLICATE of the line next to it, but by adding scanlines to a 480P signal means you are removing every other line that contains UNIQUE image data that the clever VGA box is working so hard to give you in the first place!!

Scanlines for 240, 2D sprite based games = Nice!
Scanlines for 480P '3D' polygon games like Shenmue = Replacing image data with empty black lines; image loss!

DreamcastPast has received 3 thanks from: Nahovil, wude, Yokosuka
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Nahovil » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you, DreamcastPast. I will take that into account.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Elder » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi all,

I recently picked up a VGA-to-HDMI upscaler, and recorded some 720p footage from my Elgato Game Capture HD, but now I want to showcase it in 4:3. However, since the upscaler automatically stretches the original 640 x 480 signal to 1280 x 720, how can I go about converting the video file back to 4:3? I'm only using Movie Maker Live for simple edits to the footage, so most likely I'll need another program. It's an easy fix on my TV, but not so easy with the 720p video file I have. Uploading that to YouTube for review purposes won't really be showcasing the game in all its glory as it will be somewhat distorted.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome. If there's some better video editing software for PC that doesn't require a PhD to use, that would also be very useful info.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Elder
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue