Sony listening to gamers concern over DRM

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sony listening to gamers concern over DRM

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 27, 2013 5:36 pm

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/27/stay-aw ... tell-sony/
The campaign which took off via a forum post over at NeoGaf has been started to ensure Sony gets to know gamers’ opinions regarding restrictive DRM and used game policies and how they don’t want such restrictions to be placed upon them when it comes to gaming on Sony’s next-gen console: The PlayStation 4.

The campaign which uses the hashtags #PS4NoDRM and #PS4USEDGAMES encourages gamers to post tweets using the tags. It also asks them to send tweets to some prominent PlayStation employees who might have a say in the decision making policies of the company. It includes:

Shuhei Yoshida (president of worldwide studios)
John Koller (head of hardware marketing)
Guy Longworth (senior vice president PlayStation Brand Marketing)
Scott Rohde (PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America)
The campaign is gaining momentum on several websites and forum boards including popular social media website Reddit.

It’s also interesting to note that Sony is closely monitoring the campaign, with several PlayStation employees responding to the campaign on Twitter. However, none of them has given any indication on what the company’s official approach regarding used games sale and DRM might be.

Whatever be the outcome of this campaign, it’s interesting to see fans making an effort to let the company know how they feel about certain policies such as always-online DRM and restrictions on used games sale.

We’ll let you know if Sony issues an official statement regarding this.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Sony listening to gamers concern over DRM

Postby Giorgio » Mon May 27, 2013 5:50 pm

(Unlike Sega... when it comes to campaigns... Nevertheless, that shows Twitter campaigns could do an impact on the whole media, but it gets even better when there are open ears...)

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon May 27, 2013 6:08 pm

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568033

It's gaining A LOT of support.
-------------

Sony employee's Scott Rode, John Koller, Sahid Ahmad, Nick Accordino, & Adam Boyes have commented in some form
(@RohdeScott 22s, @jpkoller, @shahidkamal, Nikoro, & @amboyes)

Not to mention all the sites and media that are reporting.

Articles and mentions by
P4rGaming (Parody Site)
PushSquare.
Destructoid
VG24/7
Gematsu
Just Push Start
N4G
PlayStation Universe
The Sixth Axis
Game Informer
Polygon
Kotaku

&

&
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 pm

I will support this.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yama » Mon May 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Again, my Dreamcast is hooked up and ready...

Going by the press and overall consensus, Sony shouldn't need such campaigns to open their eyes to the obvious. Simply by advertising and supporting no DRM themselves they'd gain so much respect and positive press. The point they'd even consider it saddens me.

Yama has received 5 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast, Segata Sanshiro Jr., ShenmueTree, Sonikku
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am

Dreamcast never dies. Dreamcast is God.

XD

High level people right there, not parody accounts.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 am

They can listen all they want but like MS their hands are probably all tied up now. Too many big publishers want DRM and they have to offer it.

Remains to be see if a system is in place that won't totally screw gamers.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu May 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Surprise, surprise. It's either going to be a case of "We do what Microsoft don't" or "deal with it" and Sony will not reveal it until E3.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu May 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Sony doesn't really have any reason to reveal it until E3, Microsoft and employees made a lot of bad decisions with Adam Orth, and Phil Harrison, running their PR game.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu May 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Ill laugh my arse off it DRM for both consoles is scrapped and EA bring back online passes.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Image

Ill laugh my arse off it DRM for both consoles is scrapped and EA bring back online passes.

Context helps.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but it sure sounds like he's saying he's listening but he doesn't exactly care.

And an update about that Sony thing.

http://kotaku.com/sony-wont-answer-thes ... -510477281

At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that
any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

I fucking hate Kotaku, they most likely intentionally omitted that fact in order to encourage more hits to their page, with having an update later to bring even more hits. It's a slimeball move, even more slimy due to the fact that this is news from the PS4 reveal.[/quote]

Also from the official PSMagazine Youtube.

phpBB [video]
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Bravo to Sony for taking the higher ground. I think its pretty easy to see at this point, this is a MS and publisher drivin thing for DRM. Sony allowing publishers to include DRM was probably the only way they would agree to developing games on their system and not saying "fuck it we'll go xbox exclusive."
Big fuck off to the publishers that pushed Sony into this though. I think we can name some usual suspects like EA, Activision and Capcom in swaying Sony to give them the right.
I will try to resist many of the DRM enabled games on PS4 just like ill be avoiding Xbox One all together.
Hopefully by Sony's example though we will see publishers shy away from using the option.
Im not completely satisfied about this, far from it but I have to say bravo to Sony for not joining in and atleast trying to stay consumer friendly.
The better thing ofcourse would have been to not allow any DRM but who knows what the library of games would look like if publishers started choosing sides based off DRM.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 30, 2013 8:09 pm

This coming gen has not really kicked off yet and it's off to a weird confusing start.

One console that starts off by saying they want to watch you and DRM it's games

Another console that makes its powerful handheld vital but also debating drm

Last console using a touch screen from 2001 but Used games are as they always been
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu May 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Axm wrote: Bravo to Sony for taking the higher ground. I think its pretty easy to see at this point, this is a MS and publisher drivin thing for DRM. Sony allowing publishers to include DRM was probably the only way they would agree to developing games on their system and not saying "fuck it we'll go xbox exclusive."
Big fuck off to the publishers that pushed Sony into this though. I think we can name some usual suspects like EA, Activision and Capcom in swaying Sony to give them the right.
I will try to resist many of the DRM enabled games on PS4 just like ill be avoiding Xbox One all together.
Hopefully by Sony's example though we will see publishers shy away from using the option.
Im not completely satisfied about this, far from it but I have to say bravo to Sony for not joining in and atleast trying to stay consumer friendly.
The better thing ofcourse would have been to not allow any DRM but who knows what the library of games would look like if publishers started choosing sides based off DRM.

Activision has actually been pretty consumer friendly when it comes to DRM. They don't have online passes as far as I'm aware, and considering how much $$$$ COD bring I, that says a lot.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming