No used games is a wonderful idea

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

No used games is a wonderful idea

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue May 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Developers make no money from used games. Its actually good for the economy to choose a new game over used. if you like something and want more of it YOU HAVE TO CONTRIBUTE. i think a fee to play used games is a wonderful idea. i know theres got to be at least one fellow nerd her who agrees. do you agree?
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: No used games is a wonderful idea

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 pm

And I think that's an idea best reserved for the greedy or for imbeciles. I'd not pay any additional fee for a used Blu-Ray, Music CD, DVD, Novel, or Textbook, not least a used games. Since the dawn of forever you buy a product, and then you do whatever you want with it. First Sale Doctrine. Learn it. If not, you're free to feel entitled when everything else is adheres to the rule.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Stocke » Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 pm

You have got to be kidding.

If you really want to support the developer, of course you'll buy it new if you can.
But to enforce a mandatory fee to play used games is just a way to milk consumers for more money.
Last edited by Stocke on Tue May 28, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stocke has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rakim » Tue May 28, 2013 9:34 pm

How is it good for the economy to abolish used games?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 pm

I have no problem paying $60 to a company that I feel deserves it or the value is there.
But I dont want to spend $30 on an old game from 2008 that im just curious as to what its like and dont have a desire to support the company/dev who made it, id rather have the option to pay $10 and figure out if I like it enough to then pay $60 on its sequel that just came out.
Id like to borrow a game from a friend just like I can borrow a movie. Id like to have that option as what you buy should actually belong to you and be your property.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Rakim wrote: How is it good for the economy to abolish used games?

for real??

go to work tomorrow but dont get paid for it

Axm wrote: I dont want to spend $30 on an old game from 2008 that im just curious as to what its like

good point. the fee to play a used game should expire after the game is discontinued.

Stocke wrote: You have got to be kidding.

If you really want to support the developer, of course you'll buy it new if you can.
But to enforce a mandatory fee to play used games is just a way to milk consumers for more money.

ummmmm no not all. Imagine you work for a company who makes dishes. You make and ship these dishes to the store, people buy them, and you make money. but now people are taking their dishes back to the store after they are done with it and the store is selling that used dish for a lesser price. you made no money off that used dish sell. the store is refusing to give you a share of that sell (which is one of the reasons gamestop was in the top 10 worst companies list) so now you are getting laid off because the company you work for isnt making money off of their product. jesus people get some common fucking since.

EDIT: sorry for "jesus people get some common fucking since." im just sick of reading about this online and reading that people dont get it

EDIT#2
ShenmueTree wrote: And I think that's an idea best reserved for the greedy or for imbeciles. I'd not pay any additional fee for a used Blu-Ray, Music CD, DVD, Novel, or Textbook, not least a used games. Since the dawn of forever you buy a product, and then you do whatever you want with it. First Sale Doctrine. Learn it. If not, you're free to feel entitled when everything else is adheres to the rule.

some how i missed your post.

reserved for the greedy???? People work to support their families and i believe people deserve money for their hard work. thats why there will be a fee for used games. understanding this and buying used games actually makes you greedy.
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 am

You realize if they take away used games, GameStop, the biggest video game distributor in the world will go under seeing as their entire business rely's on used games, jobs will be lost, and less video games will be in circulation. The whole video game industry could collapse. Also the ma and pa video game trade in places that many of us love will go under too, sure they will still have all the retro stuff available, but eventually these kinds of stores will have to close in a few generations down the road if they keep used games blocked. Used games is actually good for the economy, people can start businesses with used games/systems.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed May 29, 2013 12:28 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: You realize if they take away used games, GameStop, the biggest video game distributor in the world will go under seeing as their entire business rely's on used games, jobs will be lost, and less video games will be in circulation. The whole video game industry could collapse. Also the ma and pa video game trade in places that many of us love will go under too, sure they will still have all the retro stuff available, but eventually these kinds of stores will have to close in a few generations down the road if they keep used games blocked. Used games is actually good for the economy, people can start businesses with used games/systems.

those places wouldnt be there if it wasnt for the developers in the first place. they could share profit of used games sells with the developers. and of course after games are discontinued u should buy them used, its the only way. thats (probably) 90% of ma and pas business anyways, but games that are new should be bought new. you cant fuck another business over when the success of their business affects the success of your business.

EDIT: like i said, after a game is discontinued the fee to play that particular game used should be pulled.
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 am

Its all bullshit. Rich companies trying to squeeze a few cents out to get richer or hide their own greed.

Lets really think about this for a moment.

After every call of duty game, Activision cuts atleast 30 jobs from the studio that developed the game. Overall they cut about a hundred jobs or more per year. At least 1 studio a year goes under. We've all seen the articles about how upper management has given itself outlandish raises, sometimes even up to 800%. Every year, the publisher is able to release multiple titles per year, many of them are able to garner sales into the millions with low budgets and reduced staff(Deadpool, Transformers, etc). The budgets are kept low by using low scale technology like Id Tech 3. The games are also released on all available platforms.

CD Red Projekt was incredibly happy with the success of The Witcher 2, a game which had been in development for over 2 years. It was built on a proprietary engine. The game was released on only 2 platforms (PC,360) and when the 360 version was released with new content, the pc version was updated for free with said content.

Which studio do you think hates used games? Which Studio complains about the rising cost of game development?

Another example of how used games can help a series is Falcom's Legend of Heroes

http://andriasang.com/comyht/

Making games is hard and expensive, but the reason they're saying aren't the real reasons. They're grasping because they pay themselves too much and often these companies have bad structures in place.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast, ShenmueTree
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed May 29, 2013 12:45 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
very very good counter argument...im impressed. while i do agree, you have to admit that doing away with used games will still help the problem.

ON A SIDE NOTE: thats every company BTW. one thing i hate is when people say CEOs make too much money. companies ride or die on CEOs decisions. people get paid what they deserve including CEOs. the problem is people are stupid. I dont remember the actual percent but its a lot. something like 80% of companies go under in the first 6 months because the average joe blow idiot thinks he can run a business. people think they are over paid because they believe they can do their job just as well. but in actuality...........
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Wed May 29, 2013 12:51 am

Perfect_Chaos wrote:

for real??

That analogy isn't even remotely applicable. The used games business is big money and is contributing to the economy just as much as any software company. Clerks, shipping people, drivers, etc etc. All jobs that wouldn't exist if there was some kind of greedy monopoly on pre-owned merch.

The fact is that a large percentage of the people who buy games used wouldn't buy the game at all if given the ultimatum of "pay full price or piss off".

Its similar to the piracy situation in the music industry. Music execs are saying that downloads are stealing sales from them when in reality most of us wouldn't buy half of the stuff we have in our collection if there were no torrents. Would you really download that Spice Girls greatest hits if you had to pay? I know I only got it because it was free. I mean Say You'll Be There is good, but c'mon son!
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 am

Perfect_Chaos wrote: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
very very good counter argument...im impressed. while i do agree, you have to admit that doing away with used games will still help the problem.

ON A SIDE NOTE: thats every company BTW. one thing i hate is when people say CEOs make too much money. companies ride or die on CEOs decisions. people get paid what they deserve including CEOs. the problem is people are stupid. I dont remember the actual percent but its a lot. something like 80% of companies go under in the first 6 months because the average joe blow idiot thinks he can run a business. people think they are over paid because they believe they can do their job just as well. but in actuality...........

Satoru Iwata took a paycut while Bobby Kotick gave himself a raise. So a good CEO can help helm a company, thats fine, they shouldn't be making more money then everyone else in the company combined, and if they do a shitty job they shouldn't be able to cover it by just firing people.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, ShenmueTree
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 am

Perfect Chaos let's say you make a rap album that get's hot and very popular. You add DRM to the CD and digital sales. You make people pay for listening to the CD more than once. The digital songs locked to one computer. You think that will stop piracy? Nope. This is the kind of stuff that increases piracy and your Album would stop selling and be much more of your music out there but on torrent. This always happens. Anytime DRM is put into something piracy skyrockets and the only one suffering is Joe Average who buys things honestly.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 am

If they lower the cost of new games I don't think it would be such a problem.Doubt that will happen though.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 am

@ ryudo and Segata... Touche!

however...

Rakim wrote:
Perfect_Chaos wrote:

for real??

That analogy isn't even remotely applicable. The used games business is big money and is contributing to the economy just as much as any software company. Clerks, shipping people, drivers, etc etc. All jobs that wouldn't exist if there was some kind of greedy monopoly on pre-owned merch.

The fact is that a large percentage of the people who buy games used wouldn't buy the game at all if given the ultimatum of "pay full price or piss off".

Its similar to the piracy situation in the music industry. Music execs are saying that downloads are stealing sales from them when in reality most of us wouldn't buy half of the stuff we have in our collection if there were no torrents. Would you really download that Spice Girls greatest hits if you had to pay? I know I only got it because it was free. I mean Say You'll Be There is good, but c'mon son!

those jobs wouldnt be there in the first place if it wasnt for the creator. that is why I find it wrong to screw over the source.

Your music industry analogy isnt even "remotely applicable" (ryudos was tho)

your telling me people dont pirate stuff they would normally pay for? i used to download music until my conscious kicked in about 8 years ago (same reason i dont buy used games). i downloaded stuff then i would gladly give money for now that i buy music. piracy is killing the music industry, most record labels dont even do full album deals anymore just single deals. only album deals IF single is successful. they're having to take HUGE chunks of artists performance money (which before artists got about 95% of) . record labels are no where near as profitable now as they were before. pay full price or piss off makes people not buy at all???? if 15 bucks makes that big of a difference to those people then i feel sorry for them. i think if used games fell off the face of the planet every ones jobs would be ok. people would still buy. take away the guys job who creates the product and it all crumbles. (warehouse/shipping and drivers dont deliver used games btw)
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to General Gaming