Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby Deta » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm

The first gameplay trailer is out!

phpBB [video]

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8r4w ... r--stream-

and holy shit it looks promising!
Last edited by Deta on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deta has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Deta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption with more shit in it. And hopefully a more immersive story.

Kiefer's voice at the end...eeh, it's really going to take a bit for me to get used to it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

The Afghanistan setting is awfully boring... I remember everyone complaining at the beginning of the current gen that most games lacked color, that they were all brown and uninteresting; well, this just might be one of the worst offenders yet. The graphics themselves are great, of course, but the actual visual design work looks like the least-inspired I've ever seen out of the series.
Granted, based on what we'd seen from previous trailers, I'm sure there'll be more variation than what we're seeing in this one. Still, this ain't exactly impressive.

A minor complaint, but I also have to say the music was boring too. It seems like post-Snake Eater, they just can't come up with a fun, worthwhile theme anymore. I felt the same way about the vocal themes for Portable Ops and Peace Walker. And did MGS4 even have a vocal theme? It had a great score, but I don't remember an actual theme.

Of course, these are all aesthetic complaints. I still don't doubt at all that it'll be a fantastically well-made game, but this trailer just didn't do much for me.
The earlier trailers did, however, so I'm still going to play it, obviously.

Kenny wrote:Kiefer's voice at the end...eeh, it's really going to take a bit for me to get used to it.

Same here. I heard Jack Bauer, not Snake. I probably won't be able to just accept it until I actually play the game for a few hours.
And that was supposed to be Ocelot at the beginning of the trailer? What the hell happened to his voice? I can't tell if it's the same actor as before or not. But if it is, he's playing the role differently, and it comes off as a bit bland.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:27 pm

I was also surprised to see Emmerich here.

Man, Kojima just loves putting too many past nods in his newer installments. I'm fine with the possibility of a younger Psycho Mantis since he will become part of FOXHOUND eventually (so seeing him in action, maybe as part of this top secret program, is really cool), but Emmerich? I always thought he was just a random scientist that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Now it's way too coincidental.

Might as well thrown in a kid Drebin who just happened to stumble upon Afghanistan. Or a kid Olga.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I for one would welcome the Foxhound Babies spinoff. Just imagine young Snake creeping around the jungle gym trying to be first to get a juice box from their caregiver momma E.E. only to be foiled by baby Vulcan's pet bird who flies above the playground spotting Snake out. Thus giving him the heads up to throw a tantrum and steal the attention before our hero can get there. They're still evil but in a cute way!

That started as a joke, but now reading my own made up synopsis I actually want that show to be real :lol:

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Cant wait for this game on PS4. It looks amazing. The lighting and animations look great. This will probably be the system seller for me if it comes out sometime next year.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:42 pm

I thought it was still PS3?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:47 pm

The first few trailers had the 360 and PS3 logo but Kojima said it was coming to the next Xbox at the E3 conference. My guess is that it's next gen only but we may see a version on 360 and PS3.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Rakim wrote: I for one would welcome the Foxhound Babies spinoff. Just imagine young Snake creeping around the jungle gym trying to be first to get a juice box from their caregiver momma E.E. only to be foiled by baby Vulcan's pet bird who flies above the playground spotting Snake out. Thus giving him the heads up to throw a tantrum and steal the attention before our hero can get there. They're still evil but in a cute way!

That started as a joke, but now reading my own made up synopsis I actually want that show to be real :lol:

phpBB [video]

FOXHOUND Babies
We're milking this for you
FOXHOUND Babies
You asked for this, yeah it's true

Snake: When your room's a battlefield, and you wished that you weren't there
Naomi: Just close your eyes, accept this fact
Naomi: Nanomachines are, everywhere

Snake: I like to smoke cigs.
Meryl: I have no pants!
Hal: Like my sister to be alive...
Sunny: MK.II, DANCE!!

Ocelot: My arm is a person!
Psycho Mantis: I float in the air!
Vulcan: I have a pet Raven!
Raiden: And I bleed WHITE BLOOD, HAH!
Drebin: I have a monkey!
Johnny Sasaki: I JUST SHIT MY PANTS!

Big Mama: Shut up you little bastards, i'm busy!
Everyone: Sorry, Big Mama!

FOXHOUND Babies
We're milking this for you
FOXHOUND Babies
You asked for this, yeah it's true

Fox-Hound, Fox-Hound, Fox-Hound, Fox-Hound
Babies, Babies, BaAAAIIBIEES!
Foxhound Babies!

phpBB [video]

Kenny has received a thanks from: Rakim
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 pm

so I guess this takes part during the soviet-Afghan conflict?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Sounds really watered down.

The life bar seems to be gone. In stead, the screen will turn bloody and red when Snake gets hurt, and he will regenerate health automatically if he takes cover long enough (this feature was also in previous Metal Gear games, if Snake kneeled or took a prone position).
The interface has been toned down a lot, also as a result of the removing of the health bar and other items and bits of information.

Players can use their scope to mark enemies and vehicles, so they appear on the map.
Context sensitive buttons let Snake open locked gates, or interrogate guards. After this has been done, the objective will appear on the map automatically.
The threat ring from MGS4 makes a return, only this time it isn’t around Snake anymore, but against the screen.
When Big Boss gets spotted by an enemy, the game will go into a slow motion, during which the player can still silence the enemy, and the alert phase will be canceled. This was done to help players in compensation for the extra difficulty posed by an open world design, and the lack of a radar.
Don’t worry, the famous alert sound is still there. The exclamation mark seems to be gone though.
During driving sequences, the player can switch between first and third person view.
Enemies can take out tires of vehicles Snake is driving.
Player can call in a helicopter for extraction (as we already knew), but the player isn’t safe until he’s actually boarded and flying away.
Big Boss received information over the codec when he saw certain things through his scope. Kojima explained that story moments would mostly be told through the players perspective.

Snake can grab enemies in higher positions and drop them down to their death, similar as in Uncharted.
The demo being played was very similar to the one at PAX, but this time players had to retrieve a red FOXHOUND patch (the logo of the new LA studio). Also, the demo was in English, with Big Boss voiced by Kiefer Sutherland. He also spoke the famous line ‘Kept you waiting, huh’.
The demo was being played on the easiest difficulty setting. Kojima will show a more difficult playthrough at TGS.

The holographic gear Snake used in the demo is called the iDroid.
Snake can use searchlights and gun mounted flash lights to blind and distract enemies.
Snake can still throw empty gun magazines to distract enemies.
The game will feature less cutscenes and smoother transitions between them and gameplay.

During interrogation, the player can choose between multiple lines for questioning.

If you mark a destination using the tablet, it will appear on the screen in the game world, so not just on a map.
Item selection will happen on the center of the screen now, using sub options, and obviously it won’t be permanently there.
The lens flare seen in some of the videos isn’t just cosmetic, it is there to warn the player that they might be detected. A lens flare will come from the direction of something that might spot Snake, like a searchlight. So the lens flare is the caution alert phase. Human enemies have a cone directional lens flare, similar to the cone field of view on the map of previous Metal Gear games. This lets the player know from which direction the alert is coming. The music lets Snake know in which alert phase he is, because there is no radar anymore to indicate this.
The interface, switching between weapons for different alert phases, seemed really fluent.
There seemed to be auto-aim.
At the end there was a cutscene. Snake put on the patch he retrieved, and when he did that the ‘XOF’ on it turned to ‘FOX’.

Ground Zeroes takes place in 1975, and The Phantom Pain in 1984. This is a reference to Orwell’s novel, among other things.
According to Kojima, MGSV is not being ‘westernized’. He simply tries to give the game a global appeal, just like he did with the original Metal Gear Solid. The Kojima Productions LA studio is not involved in the game’s story, only in the multiplayer.
There’s a reason Quiet looks the way she looks.

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=9380

Please tell me that slow-motion when being found and regenerating health is Easy mode only...shame about the exclamations being gone, those were iconic Metal Gear tropes...very mixed with what's being reported here.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:04 am

Pretty much everything you just posted sounds awful, Spence... hopefully I'm overreacting. :/
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:30 am

You're not. It really does sound bloody terrible.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:44 am

No more iconic rations seems like blasphemy to me
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:07 pm

The lens flare seen in some of the videos isn’t just cosmetic, it is there to warn the player that they might be detected. A lens flare will come from the direction of something that might spot Snake, like a searchlight. So the lens flare is the caution alert phase.

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming