Mirror's Edge

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Mirror's Edge

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:03 pm

phpBB [video]

Seems it's on Xbox and PS4. Looks amazing graphics wise.
Last edited by Riku Rose on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Mirror's Edge 2

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Mittens already had a topic.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46072
Last edited by Bluecast on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby lavrentis » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Well that trailer has me hyped as fuck now.

lavrentis has received a thanks from: OL
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:13 pm

AW HELL YEAH.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: OL
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:17 pm

lavrentis wrote: Well that trailer has me hyped as fuck now.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:AW HELL YEAH.

They basically said it for me.
Didn't expect this yet. Glad as hell for it though. ME is one of my favorite games of this generation.
Only disappointed that the sequel has to be on the next generation of systems, rather than the current one.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 pm

DICE's next-gen Mirror's Edge is in the "early stages of development", fresh information from EA has revealed. It'll launch for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

The game will serve as a reboot for the franchise and tell an "all-new origin story" for heroine Faith.

"We introduced Mirror's Edge and Faith to gamers five years ago, and we've waited for the right moment to reunite them," said producer Sara Jansson. "Thanks to the Frostbite engine and a new generation of platforms, we are now able to deliver a richer world that players will be able to explore with a new level of freedom in both movement and action."
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed that it's a prequel. There was a comic series (which I keep meaning to pick up) that already did that.
After the events of the first game, Faith and her sister are obviously going to be fugitives on the run. What better scenario for a game based around chases and acrobatic escapes?
Just seems weird that they'd go backward rather than forward.

Still giddy as fuck though. Can't wait to play it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 pm

The news I posted said it was actually a reboot not a prequel. It's not even called Mirror's Edge 2 just Mirror's Edge.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Ah, right, missed that part.
Still a little vague though. I mean, do they say "reboot" as a way of saying that it'll be in the same continuity as the original, but be stand-alone enough that one needn't play the original?
Or as a way of saying "fuck the original, this is an entirely new continuity"?

I'm not really a fan of the latter idea. I'll still be interested, but I'll still think it was a needless re-start.
OL
Shenmue III

Re: Mirror's Edge

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:47 pm

The game will serve as a reboot for the franchise and tell an "all-new origin story" for heroine Faith.

THANK FUCK TOO! Cause the original story sucked.

Reboot, I imagine, is they're taking all the same elements from the original but telling it in a different way. Unlike Remake, which is take the names but revamp everything else.

It looks like the original but it seems there's more BITE to it with the whole Faith getting her tattoo and all. If it plays the same and has a way more badass, immersive, engaging storyline to it then EA has my money. Plain and simple.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm just not a fan of pretty much retconning everything. Whatever happened in a game, whether it was particularly well-written or not, happened. I think the best thing to do is just move on and do the next part better. It feels like the entertainment industry in general these days is just a little too willy-nilly with remakes/revamps/reboots. Not everything needs a do-over.
It's not like Mirror's Edge is some 15-year-old classic. It's still recent memory.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Yeah, but then they'd be referencing a bunch of stuff I didn't give a crap about in the first place.

Who knows, they might even have newer areas in this one. And more expansive ones.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Ri_oh » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 am

Pratchett not back for ME 2. Thank god : http://beefjack.com/news/rhianna-pratch ... ittle-sad/

Ri_oh has received a thanks from: Kenny
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Great news. Hope her replacement is capable.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:09 pm

EA won't turn Mirror's Edge into a shooter - but it has vowed to create a "very different" experience compared to the original with the just-announced game.

As expected, during its press conference EA announced a new Mirror's Edge game - not called Mirror's Edge 2 - that's a reboot of sorts. It tells the origin story of Parkour expert Faith and is set for release on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

EA Games Label boss Patrick Söderlund, who gave the game the go-ahead, declined to go into specifics about the gameplay we'll see in the new Mirror's Edge in an interview with Eurogamer, but did encourage fans to get excited.

"I can tell you one thing," he said. "It's a very different Mirror's Edge experience than the first game.

"Obviously as you saw in the trailer there are some things that will clearly remain the same. We're not going to break what the game was good at. But in general, though, there are some changes, which are for the better I think."

Speaking of the trailer, some have expressed concern that it suggests the new Mirror's Edge will be more action-orientated than the first game, which focused more on escaping enemies than it did killing them.

Söderlund promised developer DICE won't turn Mirror's Edge into a shooter, but did confirm that Faith will be a more powerful character than she was in the first game.

"The first game was a lot about running away from things," he said. "And, even though you want to have sections with that, you also want Faith... she's a powerful character and you want her to take control. You'll see a little bit more of that in this game.

"Again, we're not going to turn this into a shooter. On the contrary, in fact. But we are going to evolve Faith and the story. Once we show more of this people will be genuinely excited. I am personally extremely excited about it."

Today EA executive Frank Gibeau described the new Mirror's Edge as an "open-world action adventure game".It's built using DICE's own Frostbite engine and is still in early development.

Söderlund said DICE has had a small team working on concepts for some time, but it wasn't until senior producer Sarah Jansson's eye-catching pitch that it was greenlit.

"Mirror's Edge is a game that's been very close to my heart and to DICE's heart for a long time," he said. "It was a new IP we made in 2008. It's a game that was loved by many. It's a game that frustrated some, to be fair.

"We knew we were going to come back to it one day, and we've had a small team on it on and off in conceptual mode. Not until Sarah approached me and [General Manager] Karl-Magnus Troedsson and said, 'I have something I want to pitch to you guys,' - we got that pitch and I was amazed by what she showed us. I said, 'yes, this is it. We're now going to do it.'

"We were waiting for the right idea. I'm so excited that the idea itself is so different and spectacular that it can only work on future machines, like the Xbox One and PS4 and PC. That's when I knew we had the right idea."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... al-ea-says
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming