Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman/Superman

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 pm

A tweet was just released there saying that the leaked trailer is not the one scheduled for release on Monday. I dunno, take it for what it's worth.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby OL » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Good points, Mitts.
I actually do agree, Snyder isn't really the perfect person for Superman, specifically. I remember being a bit baffled by his hiring as director for the first Superman movie to begin with; this is the same guy who, during interviews for Watchmen, stated that he never really understood more traditional superheroes, their refusal to kill, all that kind of stuff, which is why he gravitated toward Watchmen in the first place. He doesn't seem to "get" the inherent idealism that many superheroes are supposed to represent. So no, he probably isn't the best guy for the job in that respect.
And yeah, I agree that Superman and Batman are supposed to represent a dichotomy like night and day... and all we seem to be getting thus far is the night portion of that equation. That's a pretty fair assessment, of course.
All the same, I think the movie itself still looks great thus far, if only from a surface perspective. The imagery seems to be shaping up really well, and it's cool that they do genuinely seem to be following up on the ridiculous destruction at the tail end of Man of Steel. From that point of view, I think some of the darkness may be kind of appropriate. If this were just an everyday representation of Superman at the height of public popularity, saving kittens from trees and all that, then I would be a bit pissed about the dark atmosphere. But it's following up on a really dark event from the previous movie, the public subsequently questioning his motives, so maybe this kind of atmosphere is warranted...
I dunno. Either way, really intrigued to see more.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:12 pm

OL wrote:What else is there to "get right"?
The trailer doesn't show a whole lot at all. I know it's only been up a few hours, but you guys' reaction so far makes it sound like they've actually shown anything worth judging it on. And even based on what is shown, I'm really not sure where the negativity is coming from.

Cavill had the perfect look for Superman to begin with, so I personally have no problems there, provided they give him a better script this time. Batman's costume looks friggin' great to me, and I love the muscley bulkiness of him in the one shadowed shot we see; that's the Dark Knight Returns look, dead-on.

It just fails to excite me, that's what a teaser is suppose to do. It's suppose to tease you, entice you. Other than the look, which I think Snyder pulls off wonderfully, I have a resounding "meh" over it. The only ones worse than this are the Jurassic World trailers which are looking more mundane by the second (which sucks cause the teaser wasn't bad).

OL wrote:Yeah, I wasn't impressed by that either. Mostly because I couldn't see anything. It goes blurry to the point of indiscernibility thanks the the guy filming it with a hand cam off of a movie screen. Which is kind of a problem with a lot of the trailer, since it isn't direct source.

It's not a full trailer (you're right Peter, it really is more like another teaser), but at this point, I think it actually looks pretty cool.
Cooler than Ant-Man, at the very least, and everyone was jizzing themselves over that for some reason.
Don't get me wrong, Ant-Man looks fine, and I love Paul Rudd, but it's really just more of the same basic Marvel schtick we've been exposed to for about ten movies now. Even with just this blurry, too-dark teaser right now, I'm looking forward to Superman/Batman more than Ant-Man, easily.

Oh for the one second that is clear before it goes blurry, you could see it. And he holds the face too so it's not like he did anything action oriented during that. They better have ALOT of good material for Affleck cause he's still not convincing me.

And pttth, Ant Man press materials > BvS press materials. Even the gimmicky trailer where it was all small is better cause at least that was creative. But I can give it that this is marginally better than the Age of Ultron trailers. I dunno, for some reason i'm not as excited to watch that as I should be. Joss Whedon is just not a very good visual director whereas Snyder is.

If they show more physical fights and whatnot, then maybe i'll be excited. Thing is, Warner Bros already has my money. I'm still gonna see it.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:19 pm

OL wrote:Cooler than Ant-Man, at the very least, and everyone was jizzing themselves over that for some reason.
Don't get me wrong, Ant-Man looks fine, and I love Paul Rudd, but it's really just more of the same basic Marvel schtick we've been exposed to for about ten movies now. Even with just this blurry, too-dark teaser right now, I'm looking forward to Superman/Batman more than Ant-Man, easily.

I think it's since Marvel have got in everyone's good books at this point, you know if you watch a Marvel movie at this point at the very least it'll be decent. Even though there are tons of Marvel movies I feel they're different enough that I can still get excited for a new one two times a year. Iron Man is an action movie, Guardians is Sci Fi, Captain America has been a war movie and a political thriller. Ant-Man looks like it's pushing more the comedy route which most Marvel movies have only slightly dabbled in. Paul Rudd, the train scene in the trailer and this poster:
make it feel different then say Thor.

I thought Man of Steel and Suckerpunch were quite bad and since they're Zack's last two films it doesn't help me get excited. He does action amazingly but you need more then that to hold a movie together which I'm not convinced he can do based on previous movies. I enjoy watching films like Transformers since the action is entertaining but I'd never watch them a second time or get excited for one like I would certain films. I thought Watchmen was great and people love 300 but both of them I hear are pretty much a copy and paste job from the source material so he can hardly take the credit for the story/characters there. So when you get a teaser that tells you nothing about the film that the title doesn't tell you already and you have doubts about the director I can't get excited about it. The darkness of it all just looks far too much as well, even a goth would feel it needs brightening up.

Being a no nothing about comics I also just have no idea how they'll pull off a 3 hour movie about them fighting when Superman could throw him at the sun 1 minute in. Superman doesn't even have to kill him, the idea that Batman would dare to throw a punch is a little silly to me. After Man of Steel I can't help but imagine them fighting looking so stupid or having the most ridicules reason for why Batman can stand a chance to hold his own.

DC also just seem to have thrown this whole movie universe thing together with no prior planning. Marvel seemed to have their plan and built on it while it wouldn't surprise me if the DC slate was decided in a meeting room at WB in an hour and they just decided to go with what they had come up with and just take a punt at it. Hopefully it all works out but I see their schedule and can see a few things struggling or just barely making their money back while Marvel's characters are so huge now that people would trust them if they made a Squirrel Girl movie. No one had a clue who the fuck the Guardians where but the fact it was a Marvel movie got people excited. DC doesn't have that kind of trust built up for them to pull off someone like Aquaman who is mostly taken the piss out of. I'd be so much more excited for these DC movies if I felt they had taken the time to plan them rather then feel like a rush job to jump on this shared universe bandwagon everyone is boarding.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Amir » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:04 pm

phpBB [video]

Amir has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Anyone catch the Riddler questionmark under the freeway. Would be a great cameo. The Riddler has been highy underused in the movies as a whole. The one in Gothan is good, but we are gonna be waiting at least another season for that to happen.

Also feel Jesse Eisenberg and Jeremy Irons are gonna be the scene stealers of this movie.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
I think it's since Marvel have got in everyone's good books at this point, you know if you watch a Marvel movie at this point at the very least it'll be decent. Even though there are tons of Marvel movies I feel they're different enough that I can still get excited for a new one two times a year. Iron Man is an action movie, Guardians is Sci Fi, Captain America has been a war movie and a political thriller. Ant-Man looks like it's pushing more the comedy route which most Marvel movies have only slightly dabbled in. Paul Rudd, the train scene in the trailer and this poster:
make it feel different then say Thor.

They all have a similar sort of style to them though. It's really hard to explain, but just by looking at it you can tell it's a Marvel film beyond the fact they have superheroes in them.

The differences between Green Lantern, TDK, and MoS are pretty vast for instance. You can't really tell they are made by the same studio. Given that Marvel is tying everything together seamlessly, it makes sense that everything has to have a uniform sort of style to it but I think it's also detrimental cause it will make things stale over a period of time.

By extension, the way they're moving things with the Daredevil TV show, they're starting to loosen that up a bit.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:06 pm

I think its going to be an awesome movie to watch. Going to try not to over think it, even though I want to lol. Just get baked and watch it at the Imax.

Raithos has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

Yeah, I keep looking forward to it more every time I see it. And were those Jokerz tryna get a touch of Superman? Weirdos.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:59 pm

phpBB [video]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:56 pm

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Want.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Calshot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:43 pm

And here's what The Joker looks like for the Suicide Squad movie.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:07 pm

^lol, meth head Joker.

As for the colorful Man of Steel, it looks great. They should've gone with that look before. But it would've made more of a difference if they took David S. Goyer's script and burned it in a bin.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Shenmuedabest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 pm

I will be highly surprised if this DC Universe works out.

Zack Snyder laying the foundations FFS. Probably the no.1 director known for style over substance. BvS won't flop, but it won't be colossal like The Avengers either. Man of Steel left a bad taste in a lot of mouths that still haven't forgiven.
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic